Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HKS 7460 GTII 'Kai' - Failures?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.4LR
E85
26psi
cosworth M2
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by keath
2.4LR
E85
26psi
cosworth M2
I see...why did you stop at 26psi of boost? Currently I am at 28psi...I wanted over 30...close to 32psi...just curious...I have a 2.3L with the HKS cams that came with the kit...I think the turbo can take more boost...
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I ran 36psi on a 2.0L... that's not the same as 36psi on a 2.4L. Keath's setup is pretty awesome. My car just happened to make 36psi... I can tell you... with a 2.3L you're not going to be getting another 40-60 hp if you're already running 26-28psi on a 2.3/2.4L

I was on a stock block and kept the torque low intentionally.. funny because i still do that on my built engine.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
The HKS I had puked the oil seal
You were also feeding the turbo a lot higher oil pressure than it was designed to see.

The orifice plate designed by HKS to limit the oil flow was engineered around seeing oil pressure feed from the head, not from the oil filter housing.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nollij
You were also feeding the turbo a lot higher oil pressure than it was designed to see.

The orifice plate designed by HKS to limit the oil flow was engineered around seeing oil pressure feed from the head, not from the oil filter housing.
Per the HKS engineer and Sean Ivey... I was good with running a FP restrictor/oil filter on the feed line to drop the pressure from the oil filter housing... AND THE HKS HAS AN INTERNAL OIL RESTRICTOR IN THE TURBO. They said no problem.

take that
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
AND THE HKS HAS AN INTERNAL OIL RESTRICTOR IN THE TURBO.

take that

Ditto... if they said it would work putting inline flow resistance than I would imagine they at least pondered it for half a second.

An orifice plate is just a resistance to flow that is used to create a pressure drop across it. Double the pressure and the pressure on the secondary of the orifice plate is now much higher than it was previous (dependent on the load of course, no load = no pressure drop across orifice plate, etc.). Without knowing what the flow resistance is through your inline filter and FP restrictor, there is no way to know what the actual pressure your oil seals were seeing throughout the rpm range. However, you went outside the original engineering of the oiling of the turbo without any calculations to back up your assertions it would run within the design of the seals.

It really is pointless to discuss this. But, I don't think that your oil seals popped like a ping pong ball out of a Thai stripper's snoo can be implicative of the quality of the seals in general.

Granted, I am now stuck with one of these turbos that I had FP clean the oiling passages out from engine bearing material. They said they would feel okay putting it in their car as they don't believe the bearing material made it into the turbo bearings... but I am at least going to have the money ready for a rebuild before I chuck it in and have it tossed on a dyno.

Last edited by nollij; Nov 8, 2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

I ran 36psi on a 2.0L... that's not the same as 36psi on a 2.4L. Keath's setup is pretty awesome. My car just happened to make 36psi... I can tell you... with a 2.3L you're not going to be getting another 40-60 hp if you're already running 26-28psi on a 2.3/2.4L

I was on a stock block and kept the torque low intentionally.. funny because i still do that on my built engine.
So if its a 2.3L the turbo works harder? for example if I am running 28psi on 2.3L how much boost would that equal on a 2.0L? I thought boost was boost but the highber displacement motor didn't need all that to make power... When my car was a 2.0L...I ran a spike of 32psi...and taper to 28psi...or so...had no problems with the turbo as its efficiency is about 32-34psi...although I did see people push it to like 38psi but all it did is blow hot air...TQ went up though...I know each set up is different but for every psi of boost doesn't your HP increase by like 15HP ( I am rounding right now) so if I am at 28psi and want to run lets say 32psi...wouldn't that increase by like 60HP? correct me if I am wrong...I know that each set up might be a little more or less but that seems to be the median...I guess the dyno will tell...,however, I do not want to set up out efficiency level of the turbo to make more HP if it comes down to it...what do you think?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nollij
Ditto... if they said it would work putting inline flow resistance than I would imagine they at least pondered it for half a second.

An orifice plate is just a resistance to flow that is used to create a pressure drop across it. Double the pressure and the pressure on the secondary of the orifice plate is now much higher than it was previous (dependent on the load of course, no load = no pressure drop across orifice plate, etc.). Without knowing what the flow resistance is through your inline filter and FP restrictor, there is no way to know what the actual pressure your oil seals were seeing throughout the rpm range. However, you went outside the original engineering of the oiling of the turbo without any calculations to back up your assertions it would run within the design of the seals.

It really is pointless to discuss this. But, I don't think that your oil seals popped like a ping pong ball out of a Thai stripper's snoo can be implicative of the quality of the seals in general.
what the **** are you talking about? I called up FP and asked them what oil pressure I would see at the turbo using their line and their filter... same one I used on my Stock 9 turbo, FP Green, and FP Reds... never blew a single seal.

I ran the SAME oil feed line which Robert says will be the same pressure to at most 10psi higher than the OEM feed at the head, but MORE stable oil pressure. So if you think 10psi more oil pressure PRE HKS restrictor is going to dynomite the oil seals...you need to get your head checked. I was running 10-40amo... not 20-50 like some of the built engines ER makes. furthermore I still had OIL SQUIRTERS... i will generate LESS oil pressure at the turbo than Keath's ER built 2.4L car. Yet his turbo hasn't bit the dust.

Your guestimate holds no water.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by highbredcloud
So if its a 2.3L the turbo works harder? for example if I am running 28psi on 2.3L how much boost would that equal on a 2.0L? I thought boost was boost but the highber displacement motor didn't need all that to make power... When my car was a 2.0L...I ran a spike of 32psi...and taper to 28psi...or so...had no problems with the turbo as its efficiency is about 32-34psi...although I did see people push it to like 38psi but all it did is blow hot air...TQ went up though...I know each set up is different but for every psi of boost doesn't your HP increase by like 15HP ( I am rounding right now) so if I am at 28psi and want to run lets say 32psi...wouldn't that increase by like 60HP? correct me if I am wrong...I know that each set up might be a little more or less but that seems to be the median...I guess the dyno will tell...,however, I do not want to set up out efficiency level of the turbo to make more HP if it comes down to it...what do you think?
The turbospeed is higher to achieve the same pressure against a larger displacement engine. Means you're running out of compressor at lower pressure ratios. I haven't spent time to think about what pressure is equal to what on 2 different engines. If we had turbospeed data... we could correlate, but we don't. so meh for benchracing.

The power your pick up per psi of boost depends on where you are on your compressor map. If you're in the sweet spot of the efficiency island you may see 15psi. Being as you're running 28psi on a 2.3L... you're at or near the edge of the compressor map (where you heat the air up to make more pressure) you may only gain 5hp or less per psi of boost increased... up until the turbine flow is choked and your compressor is no longer helping.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
stock block crazy tq curve here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...safe-mode.html

the wga vac line must have blown off.. thats all i can think, but read the thread and you will see where its actually being tuned at and the blue line showing crazy mode with basically no boost control.

the turbo is definitely impressive downlow, but it does seem to cap off sooner then others. it drops off very fast.. even opposed to a 71 HTA.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
stock block crazy tq curve here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...safe-mode.html

the wga vac line must have blown off.. thats all i can think, but read the thread and you will see where its actually being tuned at and the blue line showing crazy mode with basically no boost control.

the turbo is definitely impressive downlow, but it does seem to cap off sooner then others. it drops off very fast.. even opposed to a 71 HTA.
I really wish I had my dyno sheet...the shop that tuned the car for me said the turbo kept going to 7900RPM on 2.3L before power started to decrease...If that is true than I couldn't ask for anything better...

Where should this turbo "cap off" in your opinion on a 2.3L? At this point I am just trying to figure out if what I was told by the shop that tuned the car for me is accurate from what others have experienced first hand...I know that they would have no reason to not tell me the truth...I just don't see it as it doesn't benefit anyone at the end of the day...they were as surprised as I was...
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:12 PM

i have 20.000+ km the original gt2 without problem.
34 psi external
2.0 motor
kelford 280-276
with 100 ron + methanol kit 507whp 59wtq on mustang dyno

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...198631815.jpg/
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:27 PM
Evolving Member

The turbospeed is higher to achieve the same pressure against a larger displacement engine. Means you're running out of compressor at lower pressure ratios. I haven't spent time to think about what pressure is equal to what on 2 different engines. If we had turbospeed data... we could correlate, but we don't. so meh for benchracing.

The power your pick up per psi of boost depends on where you are on your compressor map. If you're in the sweet spot of the efficiency island you may see 15psi. Being as you're running 28psi on a 2.3L... you're at or near the edge of the compressor map (where you heat the air up to make more pressure) you may only gain 5hp or less per psi of boost increased... up until the turbine flow is choked and your compressor is no longer helping.
Hmm...so 28psi on 2.3L is basically maxing out that particular turbo? I don't want to do that as I do not want to destroy the turbo...I always thought that boost was boost...just the powerband would shift to the left on a stroker motor...didn't know that xx amount of psi on a stroker motor was greater than the same psi on a non-stroked motor...how can this be as it still registers as the same psi on all the guages? So here is the question...is the turbo working harder on a 2.3L or is the motor just more efficient? I seem to be getting the same amout of gas milage with the same driving habit as I did before on a 2.0L now that I have a 2.3L...
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by john ix greece
i have 20.000+ km the original gt2 without problem.
34 psi external
2.0 motor
kelford 280-276
with 100 ron + methanol kit 507whp 59wtq on mustang dyno

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...198631815.jpg/
On a mustang dyno you got over 500AWHP and how much TQ? over 500 as well? that sounds too good to be true...that would be like over 560AWHP on a dyno jet...I don't think that would be correct sir...you sure it wasn't a dyno jet? and even then that is hell of a lot of power from that turbo...I am not sure if anyone broke 500AWHP on 2.0L on a dyno jet at with this turbo...I haven't seen it but I have been gone for a while...
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by highbredcloud
On a mustang dyno you got over 500AWHP and how much TQ? over 500 as well? that sounds too good to be true...that would be like over 560AWHP on a dyno jet...I don't think that would be correct sir...you sure it wasn't a dyno jet? and even then that is hell of a lot of power from that turbo...I am not sure if anyone broke 500AWHP on 2.0L on a dyno jet at with this turbo...I haven't seen it but I have been gone for a while...

yes sir its true.on mustang dyno ace motorsport dimitriadis.
on dyno jet i made 511 whp 75wtq without methanol and with hks cams 278-272

Quick Reply: HKS 7460 GTII 'Kai' - Failures?