Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Slow Evo!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2012, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slow Evo!!

I have a 2008 Evo X GSR. I was on my way to my fathers retirement ceremoney and right before I got onto the highway to get there, my car went from getting into boost, to just bogging down completely!! No more turbo spool up or anything! Only code I have thrown is P0113 and went to the dealer for repairs. Told me it was the IAT (Intake Air Temp) Sensor. It has been replaced and the car still runs like it's eating mud for breakfast. It can barely accellerate. Can anyone tell me what is going on? I just got a few mods done but I'm about 99.999999% sure you don't need a retune after installing a bigger intercooler?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
If you just installed an innercooler, chances are at least one of your innercooler pipes is leaking. You have a boost leak.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

yeppppppppppp. boost leak test it
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check all the IC piping probably blew something off or have a big leak....
Old Feb 4, 2012, 09:28 PM

Thanks a bunch everyone. I was starting to wonder if it was even worth posting this. Another friend of mine was saying to get it checked for any boost leaks as well. It's definitely coming from somewhere.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the replies philly!

EVERYONE!: Update!! Thanks to the HUGE help from "JDMevilX" we actually got my Evo up and running perfectly yesterday!!! I wanted to update you all so in case you guys ever see someone with similar symptoms, this is what they may also need to check. So here's the quick run down --

1) Wastegate hose and other hoses near the intake were all hooked up the wrong way. We unplugged them and put them in their right place and I immediately felt a difference straight away.

2) Intake Air Temp (IAT) Sensor 1 (on top of intake manifold) and IAT Sensor 2 (Mass Air Flow sensor believe it or not.lol) were replaced by the dealer with brand new sensors. Check engine light went away and no codes appeared from the OBD2 scanning tools. Evo still felt like it was in limp mode.

3) Best one yet!!! THE WASTEGATE WASN'T CONNECTED!!! I highly suggest having another Evo X with you and do this in the day light! Doesn't matter if it's an MR or GSR. I checked out JDMevilX's wastegate actuator rod and noticed it was in place. Mine however, was completely off the bolt on the other end!!! There is a small button/small knob that the wastegate actuator pin hooks onto and for some odd reason, it had popped off!! As soon as we hooked it back up, my turbo was back, power was back, and my bov was as loud as ever!!!

So anyway, in a nut shell, the KEY thing you want to check with the symptoms I had is the wastegate! Check out the rod and button pin at the end and make sure they are connected.
Thank you everyone that posted on this thread!!! For the past couple weeks, it has been a pretty depressing deal to handle since this is literally my ONLY vehicle at the moment. Getting around town sucked without having my Evo. Sure, I had friends, family, and co workers help me get around but damn... there really isn't anything like driving an Evo!!

~ FIN
Old Feb 6, 2012, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

make sure you put a zip tie around every vac or boost line helps from popping off also for future refrance put a set of nice t style clamps on the couples for the intercooler piping
Old Feb 7, 2012, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by bubba17
make sure you put a zip tie around every vac or boost line helps from popping off also for future refrance put a set of nice t style clamps on the couples for the intercooler piping

My buddy that helped me put this back together recommended the same thing.lol It feels like it's hitting a lot harder now so those t clamps would definitely help. Thanks bubba17
Old Feb 7, 2012, 03:16 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I'm confused how it got so messed up? Did the dealership do that?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by migs647
I'm confused how it got so messed up? Did the dealership do that?
Man... your question is as good as mine! I'm starting to wonder how long I had been driving around with criss crossed lines and not having an ecu telling me "F*** YOU!" The wastegate rod popped off the small pin on its own. Happened right as I was getting onto the highway. I was running around N/A for almost 2 weeks.lol I can laugh at it now, but it was pretty depressing honestly.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 03:29 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Interesting that it popped it off on it's own. Perhaps it was saving you face