Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Total seal piston rings on 4g63

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Total seal piston rings on 4g63

I been looking at total seal gapless rings for my wiseco hd pistons has anyone have any experience with them pros and cons? Thanks
Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

I've never seen Evo any guys run them, and I've always wondered why. Domestic guys usually see decent gains out of them.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:41 PM
Evolving Member

i wonder if anyone has experience with them?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stolen from circle track magazine
Just by switching to a gapless set of top rings you are going to see substantial horsepower gains, probably in the range of three to five percent. That comes both from reducing friction and creating more power. A typical three-ring set of rings costs roughly $130. A gapless top-ring set costs approximately $180, so for $50 more you are going to see around a five percent gain in horsepower. That’s about the cheapest horsepower you are ever going to buy, plus it will make the engine live longer because it’s not putting heat down into the crankcase. That’s something anybody can do.

Read more: http://www.circletrack.com/techartic...#ixzz1o2EBXZlu
Found this.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I see that I don't know how it would work on a boosted application Im curious if anyone run them on here
Old Mar 3, 2012, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

interesting, hope to hear more info on this also.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
strength would be my concern.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

straight from totalseal.com website. also they make a ringset for standard bore evos listed on the site.

TNT™ Rings

TNT™ Ring Sets feature our latest Hybrid ductile iron technology. The centrifugally spun, heat-treated ductile iron top ring is specifically designed to withstand the rigors of nitrous oxide and forced induction environments. They’re quick seating, easy on the cylinder walls and available with our optional PVD coatings for further reductions in friction and increased wear ability. 2nd rings are cast iron torsional taper face. Oil rings are 3 piece flex vent design. TNT™ Rings are also available in Gapless®.

• TNT™ Top Rings are Centrifugal Cast for Superior Grain Structure
• Engineered for Extreme Abuse such as Nitrous Oxide, Turbocharged and High Cylinder Pressure Applications
• Tighter Tolerances and PVD Coatings, Reducing Friction and Eliminating Moly Flake
Old Mar 3, 2012, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

I am really consider them buying them..... Just wish there was Evo guys running them with some outcomes
Old Mar 4, 2012, 02:45 AM
Evolved Member

im looking at them more for the wear, since they expand but hold the 0 gap. that should help our builds last longer as the cylinders wear. if i get extra ponys thats just a plus. idk about you guys
but i know my oil has a gas smell to it and i think once you install and seat them it would be easy to smell the results from the oil fill hole.

i sent them an email asking about the use of them on our cars in high boost situations and about any cylinder wear. also asked about these rings lasting longer than 25k miles. ill post ehat i get back.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoxsi
im looking at them more for the wear, since they expand but hold the 0 gap. that should help our builds last longer as the cylinders wear. if i get extra ponys thats just a plus. idk about you guys
but i know my oil has a gas smell to it and i think once you install and seat them it would be easy to smell the results from the oil fill hole.

i sent them an email asking about the use of them on our cars in high boost situations and about any cylinder wear. also asked about these rings lasting longer than 25k miles. ill post ehat i get back.
Cool man yeah let me. Know I'm deff intrested I been looking around for info can't get straight ansewr
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

ok i heard back from topseal today.

my original email:
hi i am looking at rebuilding my mitsubishi evo 8. im making 550 to the wheels right now on 36psi boost. ive already built the engine once but this time id like to make something that can last longer than 25k miles. im using lighter internals and found your rings. i would be using this car as my daily driver and in all types of weather. i like the fact that the top gapless ring will expand and contrat and still hold the seal.

my question is that with this info would your gapless top rings be my best bet. i will stay in the 600awhp range and at or under 40psi of boost. i heard that these rings will beat up the cylinders, which would not help my over 25k hopes. also which rings would you recomend? *my bore would be 85.5mm or 86mm depending on the honing job.

thanks
chris

he asked me what type of pistons i am running, stock or aftermarket. if aftermarket what are the ring groove sizes. I told him im running forged wisecos right now but will switch to a billet piston on my rebuild. i then gave him the ring sizes off wisecos site and he replied with this:

Chris,
The gapless 2nd ring set # with the high tension oil ring would be best for that application.
Best Regards

Keith Jones

so thats all i got out of him but im guessing its because of the high pressures with the boost as to why he said use the gapless 2nd ring set instead of the top, since it would prolly cause excess wear on the ring. idk im no engineer.