Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2012, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have GSC S1 cams, and after installing a Clutchmaster FX300, I had bad chatter/vibration on clutch engagement.

I purchased a Minerva Motorwerks mount and it solved my issue. It costs less than the AMS bushing, and has a great build quality.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

I have the TS front and two sides. They're probably the most noticeable mod I have done to me car thus far. I'm thinking about getting the transmission mount too after I get a DD. If I think it's too much I can take it out any time.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

So I was hanging out with 5 evo owners last night it seems if you have clutch chatter its because our engine moves so much. All 5 had at least 3 motor mounts changed out and so clutch chatter noise from upgraded flywheels/clutches was there and went away after they installed the mounts
Old Apr 9, 2012, 06:49 AM

I dd mine with all mounts including tranny mount switched. It just feels like a message chair at low rpm... Lmao gotta love it
Old May 5, 2012, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just did 3 mounts today (front, cam side and trans) and the vibration is a bit more noticeable and in particular at idle. I drive an RS, so it was already loud at idle (272 cams), intake, full tbe etc., but the mounts make it feel like a really rally car now. The dash and steering wheel rattle the most on the interior, but I've gotten used to it driving an evo.

On the positive sides, the shifting feels a lot more smooth and less clunky in earlier gears. The motor and tranny definitely does not feel like it's rocking as much. I also put in underhood bushings at the same time, so shifting also seems more accurate and less slugish. The new motor mounts also don't oxidize like the OEM one's leaving the engine bay looking prestine.

I bought the Torque Solutions set from AWD Motorsports.
Old May 6, 2012, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Derp
I dd mine with all mounts including tranny mount switched. It just feels like a message chair at low rpm... Lmao gotta love it
Old May 6, 2012, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just have a Blox front motor mount. Only vibrates/chatters when engaging the clutch from a stop. Vibrates a little at idle but not bad.

That said, I don't think I'm going to risk any more comfort by adding additional mounts. I dd 90% of the time.
Old May 6, 2012, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

Well it seems my torque solution mounts are breaking in. 1500 ish miles and the vibration is down with my 272s
Old May 7, 2012, 02:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i haven't met a girl that rode in my car and didn't comment on how they liked the car vibrating. Only running front mount with a 2.4L w/o balance shaft. Thinking i want trans mount too now...
Old May 10, 2012, 02:06 PM

For those of you who installed the rear mount I have some questions.

So I'm in the process of installing the torque solutions rear and driver side mounts when I came across a possible problem with the rear mount.
The bolt I removed from the factory rear mount has a must smaller diameter of the torque solutions mount as you can see in the pictures:

Name:  e7c6f9a4.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  62.7 KB

Name:  db9ae99c.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  49.3 KB

The bolt is a 10mm x 1.25 and is 3 11/16" from the shoulder to the tip.

Now before I actually remove the rear mount I had some questions:

Is there another "sleeve" or something similar in the factory mount that will prevent the new mount from bouncing around?

Is it possible the wrong bolt was replaced when my clutch was installed?

Is it possible the wrong insert is placed in the torque solutions mount?

This mount is a bastard to get out so I think I will wait a while and try to get some answers before I go all in after it.

Thanks for any help.
Old May 10, 2012, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

I visited ace hardware and bought a bigger bolt. Then I took the mount bracket off and made the hole bigger with my drill. I'm sure there's other ways. Hope this helps
Old May 10, 2012, 05:50 PM

I finally got the rear mount out of there.
What did you do for the back/bottom part of the mount? It seems to have the same issue as the top. I'm going to head to ace to pick up some hardware.
Old May 10, 2012, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by uterus!
I finally got the rear mount out of there.
What did you do for the back/bottom part of the mount? It seems to have the same issue as the top. I'm going to head to ace to pick up some hardware.
Same thing. There are bolts holding the lower bracket on. The rear one is such a pain. I didnt do it on my car but I helped (did it on my own) a friend install his.

We also had to do the same thing for the front lower mount. Torques solutions is a nice piece but they don't care about your bolt sizes.

Last edited by korizmo; May 10, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old May 10, 2012, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by korizmo
Same thing. There are bolts holding the lower bracket on. The rear one is such a pain. I didnt do it on my car but I helped (did it on my own) a friend install his.

We also had to do the same thing for the front lower mount. Torques solutions is a nice piece but they don't care about your bolt sizes.
I didn't bother with the rear due to horror stories I heard of the install. I just did cam side, front and tranny and all the bolts lined up perfect. I did not have to buy a bigger size and they all fit snug.

Perhaps contact torque solutions as all their mounts should fit exactly to OEM spec.
Old May 10, 2012, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I installed an Avid Racing front motor mount, the black ones that STM sell. A little more vibration and engine doesn't move much at all anymore!

Quick Reply: Motor Mounts