Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Simple Turbo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Simple Turbo Upgrade

I need to know the most simple possible turbo replacement upgrade, and by simple I mean basiclly direct bolt in the stock turbo location. I mean yes I do want a bigger turbo and I don't want an OEM one but I've seen that most turbo upgrades force you to make alot of modifications to your car like to the manifold or BOV location and other things. I don't have much done to my EVO IX at all, the only thing I have thats aftermarket that is anywhere near the turbo is the Megan Racing exhaust manifold, Megan Racing downpipe, and a GoFastBits TMS response BOV. My goal is to find a good turbo instead of an entire turbo kit that is an improvement from stock but wont require too many modifications. The last bit of info I can provide that might help is that my EVO is NOT my daily, it is just my weekend get away car and I do NOT race it or take it to the track what so ever, the most action it sees is just some agressive street use. Any ideas?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

There are a lot of stock frame turbos that dont require changing hardly anything at all.
Forced performance
CBRD
and others.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

go get yourself a FP black, put down some good power, and numbers.
MIKE
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most turbos are going to require more fuel because they force more air into the cylinders. So u are going to need a pump, injectors, and tune. I am not sure a black will suit you very well.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Joshthree6three
Most turbos are going to require more fuel because they force more air into the cylinders. So u are going to need a pump, injectors, and tune. I am not sure a black will suit you very well.
Yeah I kinda figured I would need a tune but lets say I do get some new 1000cc injectors from injector dynamics and a walbro fuel pump then whats the answer to my main question? What kind of turbo is the next best thing above stock?

Last edited by AustinB768; Apr 29, 2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:10 AM

If you are willing to do a tune, larger injectors and upgrade the fuel pump take a look at Forced Performances Green or Red. The Black would be best with more supporting mods IMHO.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

I would say fp green or similar turbo, anything more is going to make you want to change everything.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by gotpsi?
I would say fp green or similar turbo, anything more is going to make you want to change everything.
Thanks bro! So I found a FP Green 73HTA and it has a few options that you need to select before you can buy it and I was wondering if you could help me figure out which ones I need since you know what I'm going for. Heres the option.

Compressor Cover
-84mm Surge Port
64mm Stock Appearing

Wastegate Actuator
-Stock EVO 9 Wastegate
-18psi/930mmHg
-25psi/1290mmHg

Porting
-None
-Ported (+$95) <-------Can you give me a small explaination of what "ported" means and if its worth the extra $95

Bearing Type
-Journal Bearing
-Ball Bearing (+$800) <-------Is getting a ball bearing setup worth the extra $800? or can I just go with the journal bearing?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AustinB768
I need to know the most simple possible turbo replacement upgrade, and by simple I mean basiclly direct bolt in the stock turbo location. I mean yes I do want a bigger turbo and I don't want an OEM one but I've seen that most turbo upgrades force you to make alot of modifications to your car like to the manifold or BOV location and other things. I don't have much done to my EVO IX at all, the only thing I have thats aftermarket that is anywhere near the turbo is the Megan Racing exhaust manifold, Megan Racing downpipe, and a GoFastBits TMS response BOV. My goal is to find a good turbo instead of an entire turbo kit that is an improvement from stock but wont require too many modifications. The last bit of info I can provide that might help is that my EVO is NOT my daily, it is just my weekend get away car and I do NOT race it or take it to the track what so ever, the most action it sees is just some agressive street use. Any ideas?
Unless I've missed it, you will have to get a less restrictive exhaust than the stock one to get benefits from a bigger turbo.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by InitialE
Unless I've missed it, you will have to get a less restrictive exhaust than the stock one to get benefits from a bigger turbo.
No worries, along with the Megan Racing exhaust manifold and downpipe I also have the Megan Racing catback exhaust. but speaking of exhausts should I get the megan racing o2 housing too?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AustinB768
No worries, along with the Megan Racing exhaust manifold and downpipe I also have the Megan Racing catback exhaust. but speaking of exhausts should I get the megan racing o2 housing too?
Your pretty much set if you are planning on doing injectors, pump and a tune. I'm s fan of Cbrd stock appearing turbos. I believe there slightly cheaper than forced performance and turbos are just as good if not better it's really all opinions there very close in performance. O2 housing mine as well do it when you swap turbos since your already in there
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by kreionic
Your pretty much set if you are planning on doing injectors, pump and a tune. I'm s fan of Cbrd stock appearing turbos. I believe there slightly cheaper than forced performance and turbos are just as good if not better it's really all opinions there very close in performance. O2 housing mine as well do it when you swap turbos since your already in there

I just looked into those turbos and they are around the same price as the FP green and actually the ones I've found are more expensive than the FP turbos so I think I'm going to stick with getting an FP green

Last edited by AustinB768; Apr 30, 2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

The larger compressor housings requite a new intake pipe, so stay stock size unless you want to buy a new intake too.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by gotpsi?
The larger compressor housings requite a new intake pipe, so stay stock size unless you want to buy a new intake too.
Gotcha, but what about the bearing type? is ball bearing really worth the 800 bucks?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

They are usualy slightly quicker, and have a longer life expectancy. It's up to you, I wish I would have gone with the ball bearing, but it was just coming out and not proven yet. Also I think MAP also has stock frame turbos.

Quick Reply: Simple Turbo Upgrade