Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Simple Turbo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2012, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
id look into a cam that can support the hp you want and then some, for most its usually a toss up between kelford 272 or gsc s2,or if you want to stay on stock springs & retainers, the hks cams really arent that bad, might not make as much peak power, but there a good cam with gains to be had. Again if you go with the gsc s2 or kelford 272 cams, springs/retainers are a must, as far as brand. Everyone has there personal opinion on that. Personally im running the BC single spring/retainers, have been for past 40k with two different cams in, gets at least 1 wot to 8k everyday. But gsc beehive springs/retainers are good, kigglys are good, its all down to personal preference and how high you wanna rev. Now remember you might be able to take it to 10k rpms but that dont mean your turbo will make power at that rpm level.

What I mean by swing it, how much you got to throw at your project on your next addiction of speed. haha, Because to be honest unless your doing it yourself, that will probably be at least another 5-7k in it parts labor and tune. Just off the top of my head.
Old May 5, 2012, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AustinB768
Thanks so much! and yeah I did forget to mention that I got the Injen intake with hard uppper and lower IC pipes. And my goal is around 400 and I haent bought the o2 housing yet so instead of a Megan Racing ill go with an Invidia. I also see what your saying about pushing a stock setup to the limit but I want my setup to reach my 400 goal without having to put some serious ware on my car. So do you think I can reach my goal with these upgrades?

-Injen intake with upper and lower hard IC pipes
-1000cc Injectors by Injector Dynamics
-Walbro fuel pump
-Megan Racing Exhaust manifold, downpipe, and catback exhaust
-Invidia o2 housing
-FP Green turbo probably journal bearing
-Skunk 2 intake manifold <--- I just looked into getting one of these

i would set your goal over 400 with those mods if your wanting to upgrade the turbo. the injectors are good to well over 400, same with the fuel pump. i hear the stock fuel sending unit is good to 500. i did have a problem when i had my injen piping. when i switched to the ETS kit and a MAF translator my car went from 357awhp to 413 awhp. but i think mine was some how jacked up. and if your looking into an intake manifold, i just did the AMS f-1 on my car it installs very easy, and the price is lowered on it now. from the looks of it man your gonna make more power than your expecting and thats always awesome.
Old May 5, 2012, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you could send your stock exhaust manifold to Bushur since it's already off the car, avoid the core charge, and in return get one that is ported, and coated (coated will be pretty in your bay), and the ported will be more power over stock. With it already off the car, it's damn good bang for your buck. You can push plenty of power through a stock manifold.
Old May 5, 2012, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Easiest way would be a forced performance turbo. As everyone else above has stated.
Old May 5, 2012, 12:33 PM

I was actually planning on going with the Invidia High Flow "Ram Horn" exhaust manifold and will I need new injectors with just cams and keep stock turbo?
Old May 5, 2012, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

is that the manifold i've seen where the manifold gets in the way of, or really really close to the top radiator hose?
Old May 6, 2012, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by AreSTG
is that the manifold i've seen where the manifold gets in the way of, or really really close to the top radiator hose?
yeah but im getting a stainless steel radiator hose and then heat wrap that section off
Old May 7, 2012, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

I really don't see a reason to change the manifold unless you are going to be making stupid power, there is just not much gain to be had there.
Old May 7, 2012, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by gotpsi?
I really don't see a reason to change the manifold unless you are going to be making stupid power, there is just not much gain to be had there.
No reason to change the exhaust manifold? Well one the OEM one is rusted and makes the engine bay look bad and also itll increase exhaust flow right?
Old May 7, 2012, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

The stock manifold will not be a restriction at that power level, and can easily be improved by porting, which you can do for free, and coating for less that $100 which should help with spool and make it look better. For exhuast flow focus down stream from the turbo. If you just want to look cool go for it but I though that was not the point of this thread.

Last edited by gotpsi?; May 7, 2012 at 07:31 AM. Reason: my spelling sucks
Old May 7, 2012, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AustinB768
I was actually planning on going with the Invidia High Flow "Ram Horn" exhaust manifold....
Why would you choose to go with this particular manifold? You must have specific reasons.

Incidentally, Dave Buschur dyno tested the other Ramhorn manifold from the defunct RNR guy and it was a dog as I recall. Is this Invidia piece supposed to be any better powerwise.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:48 PM

For anyone wanting to use a Ram Horn design exhaust manifold, just get an Evo 4/5/6 radiator. The radiator upper inlet is closer to the air intake. Fits Evo 8 & 9s.

Last edited by WApyro; Jul 27, 2012 at 05:52 PM.