Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What would you guys do?!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would you guys do?!

alrite guys, im in the middle of a tune rite now, and after a few complications with boost and gettin that resolved, im starting to think my turbo mite b takin a poop neways i checked the shaft play and there is a little movement in and out i havent measured how much, i just knw a very little bit is ok. neways i knw yall r gonna ask me wat my goals r and blah blah blah. im really just lookin for a very fun street car(not lookin for crazy hp/tq.) 400/400 would b ideal for me, currently i have the 8 turbo 10.5 hotside. now the question is...do u guys think just rebuilding the 8 turbo and calling it a day is a good idea? do u think switchin to a 9 turbo and goin from there is a good idea? or do u think i should just save a bit more and go for a fp green? car has 75k on it which tells me previous owners may have been kinda hard on it since the turbo may b goin out or just the fact that its a stock turbo...ne suggestions r welcome..thanks in advance guys
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
depending on your mods and fuel type the green might be your best bet. Should be able to hit 400/400 easily on the green even with crappy fuel and minimal other mods. If you want to spend more on mods or have access to better fuels (e85) then the ix turbo should be able to get there easily and the VIII turbo with just a little more work.

Really its up to you, talk to your tuner about your goal and how much you want to spend. I'm 402/376 on the stock ix turbo without cams but I run a crap load of methanol. I could probably get 400wtq but am trying to be kind to my rods.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:39 AM
Evolved Member

thanks man i really appreciate the suggetion, ne one have nething else, come on guys
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

Well, I don't see the point in spending extra for a 9 turbo when you have 10.5 8 turbo already. Save some more for another turbo entirely. I am in this same situation right now.
I am doing every other mod first, gonna squeeze the **** outta the 8 turbo and then my turbo upgrade will be last.

I wanted to shoot for 400/400 stock turbo, stock block on pump and my tuner said its not possible unless a crazy mod list is involved with an F1 intake, etc, etc..
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ReignMan24
alrite guys, im in the middle of a tune rite now, and after a few complications with boost and gettin that resolved, im starting to think my turbo mite b takin a poop neways i checked the shaft play and there is a little movement in and out i havent measured how much, i just knw a very little bit is ok. neways i knw yall r gonna ask me wat my goals r and blah blah blah. im really just lookin for a very fun street car(not lookin for crazy hp/tq.) 400/400 would b ideal for me, currently i have the 8 turbo 10.5 hotside. now the question is...do u guys think just rebuilding the 8 turbo and calling it a day is a good idea? do u think switchin to a 9 turbo and goin from there is a good idea? or do u think i should just save a bit more and go for a fp green? car has 75k on it which tells me previous owners may have been kinda hard on it since the turbo may b goin out or just the fact that its a stock turbo...ne suggestions r welcome..thanks in advance guys
In and out is not ok. A little movement up/down or side/side is ok.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mcm308
Well, I don't see the point in spending extra for a 9 turbo when you have 10.5 8 turbo already. Save some more for another turbo entirely. I am in this same situation right now.
I am doing every other mod first, gonna squeeze the **** outta the 8 turbo and then my turbo upgrade will be last.

I wanted to shoot for 400/400 stock turbo, stock block on pump and my tuner said its not possible unless a crazy mod list is involved with an F1 intake, etc, etc..
I believe that the 9 turbo has a larger compressor. I will look for the thread.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mt057
I believe that the 9 turbo has a larger compressor. I will look for the thread.
Same size compressor wheel, better compressor housing.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

i understand that the 9 isnt a HUGE upgrade from the 8 turbo, i understand that, but like i said, im not lookin for a 9 sec street car, im lookin for a nice combo of close to 400whp/400wtq as a DD, doin that on pump would b great, but i have access to e85 and im currently bein tuned on it till i found the turbo problem now, and wat i never stated in the OP was, at full boost the turbo makes the dreaded whining noise, which sounds cool as hell but isnt even close to bein good, so thats y im wonderin wat to do. do u guys think that maybe the turbo(the 8) will last till like say...feb(tax season) till i could just buy a whole new turbo straight out without abusin the **** outta it till then. im just kinda lost with this car rite now, i still love it, but i wanted to get close to my goal of 400whp on e85 by next month cuz i have a baby on the way, but this crap just threw me off track, thats y im lookin for...financially good advice, if that makes sense
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Congrats on the baby! Mine is coming in September! Its tough as hell to finagle parts while getting everything ready for when the baby comes let alone the time to install them..lol

400/400 on E85 is rather easy with the stock turbo. However, in and out shaft play is no good. Noone probably knows how long it will last. That's a roll of the dice. If you are tight on dough, just get a replacement 10.5 8 turbo and slap it on. Down the road when you want more power you can upgrade to an FP or whatever. It will still make power. That's probably what I would do. What other mods do you have?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by akeric
Same size compressor wheel, better compressor housing.
It has a marginally larger compressor wheel as well.

TD05H-16G (Big 16G) EVO VIII stock turbo Compressor Inducer 48mm, Exducer 68mm Turbine Inducer 56mm, Exducer 49mm

TD05H-155G6 EVO IX stock turbo Compressor Inducer 49.2mm, Exducer 68mm Turbine Inducer 56mm, Exducer 49mm

The stock 9 turbo still has great spool(virtually the same as an 8 10.5 turbo and will get you closer to your goals. The 9 turbo is used for autocross and rally for the most part. I don't think anyone has run 9's on one. If they did it was in a tin can. You can find them used for 400-500 dollars. You could probably find an 8 turbo for cheaper.

The turbo will be fine for a while. Unless you have excessive smoking because its burning a bunch of oil. As long as that is not happening it may not produce as much power if it is having trouble but it will run. Mine grenaded and the car still ran fine. It just felt like it had no power at all. Like trouble getting out of its own way if going up hill.

The main worry would be if the compressor wheel was being shaved down and releasing bits into the intake or bearing material in the oil.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

yea imma check the wheel this weekend to see if its rubbin at all or not, the good thing is the wife is pretty supportive of me spendin money on the car which is good, but since ive gotten the car in march ive probably put about....2500-3000$ in parts/maintenance just from wat the previous owner didnt do. im just tryin to get it setup and b a nice/fun street car for now, then start on the maintenance stuff next yr, rebuilt trans, new clutch, etc. just for my piece of mind, but this turbo thing is pushin that stuff aside. im really considering dealin with the 8 turbo for now and bein "nice" to it, and next tax season doin an fp green possibly, or sumthin in that area. i just wish turbos werent so damn expensive lol, i also dnt want a turbo thats gonna last a few yrs and poop out...so yea, i got a lot of crap to figure out lol,, O and congrats to u to MCM, my wifes mom already got me a "baby on board" sign for my car when my daughters in the car LOL