Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Looking for all EVO 8, 9 people with 6 speed still.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2018, 05:37 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Laxman

That’s why I’m going back to the six speed! I also had a JDM 5th year. 4100 rpm at 80mph is a bit excessive, but pulls with an older Z06
I thought about doing that but I occasionally drive the car to Buttonwillow @ 75mph
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I recommend don’t unless you need it for a specific track. It’s like a 6 speed without 6th gear

Last edited by Laxman; Mar 1, 2018 at 11:12 PM. Reason: i hate autocorrect
Old Mar 2, 2018, 06:07 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I recommend don’t unless you need it for a specific track. It’s like a 6 speed without 6th gear
With the 6spd, I'm in 5th 3-4 times, per lap, on pretty much any track I'm on. I'd assume it would be close to the same with the 5? I wouldn't mind it being useful. i don't daily the car ,so that would be a plus.
but that 1.5 hr freeway drive to BW....eek.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought a MR and kinda regretting going 6sp but after reading your guys comments, Its not that bad.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
i got my 6 speed apart today and will be sending the 3-5th gears out for rem and cryo.
the root cause of removing the trans was a failed syncro spring.
does anyone have any experience with that happening? would it make sense to send all the springs out to be cryoed? im planning to replace all of them.

also interested in what to look for/replace while i have it apart.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

does anyone have the part number diagram for the 6 speed?
i need the part number for the little c clips that go on the shift fork rails, and id like to get some other little bits as long as i have it apart
Old Mar 3, 2018, 07:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts

That’s why I’m going back to the six speed! I also had a JDM 5th year. 4100 rpm at 80mph is a bit excessive, but pulls with an older Z06
This excites me But not for a street car.

Ive got an OE final drive and JDM 5th, in my not done yet, build.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 01:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
This is an interesting thread as im at 320whp and wanna make more power
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:38 AM
Rom
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I’m at 550WHP on my Shep-built 600HP spec 6-speed with no issues. Though I’m seriously considering building the custom oil cooler through the fill/drain plugs for piece of mind.

Old Mar 23, 2018, 04:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
have a JDM 6 speed, will not change. Then again i never planned much work on the engine.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 05:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo IX GSR 52k kilometers - 6 speed JDM here also at 370whp on stock turbo. I am about to build the engine and tune on Fp Black but this is not my dd and it won't take much abuse from me....maybe once a week
Old Apr 3, 2018, 07:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by TrendSetter
i got my 6 speed apart today and will be sending the 3-5th gears out for rem and cryo.
the root cause of removing the trans was a failed syncro spring.
does anyone have any experience with that happening? would it make sense to send all the springs out to be cryoed? im planning to replace all of them.

also interested in what to look for/replace while i have it apart.
Probably a bit late for your needs, but the spring undoubtedly failed due to fatigue cracking. Shot peening will put the surface of the spring in compression which is very good at improving fatigue life. I'd follow it with REM to reduce the depth of any surface imperfections that could act as crack initiation points. I've done a lot of reading on cryo, and while there are some good indications of benefit for certain properties, the effectiveness of cryo is strongly dependent on the material. I don't think it would hurt anything to apply it, but if I had to bet on the level of benefit without knowing the spring material, I'd bet on little to no benefit.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 02:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts

Can confirm, JDM 5th on OE final drive is excessive for a street car. But I cant wait to shift into 5th in anger and take advantage. Still breaking in the drive train and motor.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
Probably a bit late for your needs, but the spring undoubtedly failed due to fatigue cracking. Shot peening will put the surface of the spring in compression which is very good at improving fatigue life. I'd follow it with REM to reduce the depth of any surface imperfections that could act as crack initiation points. I've done a lot of reading on cryo, and while there are some good indications of benefit for certain properties, the effectiveness of cryo is strongly dependent on the material. I don't think it would hurt anything to apply it, but if I had to bet on the level of benefit without knowing the spring material, I'd bet on little to no benefit.
thanks for the insight. i wish i thought of this before. i have all new springs and keys but i sent the 3-5 drive and driven gears for rem and cryo treating.
i have everything back and will be reassembling as soon as i have some free time.
Jacks does some magic to the springs or keys to prevent spring failure but they only offer that with a full rebuild and since im doing it myself im on my own. oh well.
Old May 27, 2018, 12:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still have my 6 speed. Just under 400awhp. I don't abuse her too much so I'm hoping it lasts. I love the 6 spd and would even consider having it rebuilt. Or is that a waste of time?

Quick Reply: Looking for all EVO 8, 9 people with 6 speed still.