The OFFICIAL Oil Filter Testing and Results Thread (4G63T/4B11T) - Page 3 - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Was this thread helpful?
Hell yes! Very useful for the community!
291
97.98%
No way, I still don't know what filter I need!
6
2.02%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

The OFFICIAL Oil Filter Testing and Results Thread (4G63T/4B11T)

 
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:22 PM
  #31  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wonderful post, Noah! Rock on!

Rob
river_rat is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:03 PM
  #32  
Evolving Member
iTrader: (15)
 
mchristian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 377
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Subscribed! Did I miss something on the year/model or part numbers? Above you have the Amsoil Ea15k20 but on the Amsoil website it recommends the "Absolute Efficiency Oil Filter (EA15K13)" for a 2006 - MITSUBISHI - LANCER - 2.0L 4-cyl Engine Code [C] 4G63 Turbo
mchristian is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:20 PM
  #33  
EvoM Super Moderator
Thread Starter
iTrader: (134)
 
golgo13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: @ a track near you
Posts: 3,612
Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mchristian View Post
Subscribed! Did I miss something on the year/model or part numbers? Above you have the Amsoil Ea15k20 but on the Amsoil website it recommends the "Absolute Efficiency Oil Filter (EA15K13)" for a 2006 - MITSUBISHI - LANCER - 2.0L 4-cyl Engine Code [C] 4G63 Turbo
Try using this:

http://www.amsoil.com/amsoillookups/...rcrossref.aspx

EAO46 = EA15K20
golgo13 is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:32 PM
  #34  
Account Disabled
iTrader: (299)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: digging for oil
Posts: 4,864
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mchristian View Post
Subscribed! Did I miss something on the year/model or part numbers? Above you have the Amsoil Ea15k20 but on the Amsoil website it recommends the "Absolute Efficiency Oil Filter (EA15K13)" for a 2006 - MITSUBISHI - LANCER - 2.0L 4-cyl Engine Code [C] 4G63 Turbo
You can use both the EA20 or the EA13
apagan01 is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:38 PM
  #35  
EvoM Super Moderator
Thread Starter
iTrader: (134)
 
golgo13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: @ a track near you
Posts: 3,612
Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by apagan01 View Post
You can use both the EA20 or the EA13
Oh, nice.

Andy, do you have any information regarding the differences between the two? I would be curious to see the specs of the Ea15k13

golgo13 is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:53 PM
  #36  
Account Disabled
iTrader: (299)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: digging for oil
Posts: 4,864
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by golgo13 View Post
Oh, nice.

Andy, do you have any information regarding the differences between the two? I would be curious to see the specs of the Ea15k13

Anything in specific Noah, what type of specifics on the 13 you are looking for ?
apagan01 is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:25 PM
  #37  
Evolving Member
iTrader: (4)
 
SleepySamurai13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cabot, AR.
Posts: 322
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i see its not included in the tests, but, any opinions on the royal purple oil filter? also what about the k&n gold oil filter? i noticed the k&n tested was the regular and not the gold. k&n hp1008 is what ive been running since i did my first oil change. opinions?

OP- very well put together test and write up. i think ill be pricing some amsoil filters in the future!

Last edited by SleepySamurai13; Nov 26, 2012 at 07:27 PM.
SleepySamurai13 is offline  
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:32 PM
  #38  
EvoM Super Moderator
Thread Starter
iTrader: (134)
 
golgo13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: @ a track near you
Posts: 3,612
Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by SleepySamurai13 View Post
i see its not included in the tests, but, any opinions on the royal purple oil filter? also what about the k&n gold oil filter? i noticed the k&n tested was the regular and not the gold. k&n hp1008 is what ive been running since i did my first oil change. opinions?
I went with the top five most mentioned filters that I could find on EvoM.

There were only a few mentions of Royal Purple and most of the people that mentioned K&N said they were running the PS-1010.

That might be due to the cost associated with the HP-1008? Looks like they are listed on K&Ns site for $14.99.

I still have my test equipment set-up in the garage, so it wouldn't be too hard for me to test more filters if anyone wants to have me give one 'the treatment.' As far as I'm concerned, I'm pretty much done and satisfied with the results so I don't plan on spending any more of my own money to test anymore filters.

golgo13 is offline  
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:49 PM
  #39  
Evolving Member
iTrader: (4)
 
SleepySamurai13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cabot, AR.
Posts: 322
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by golgo13 View Post
I went with the top five most mentioned filters that I could find on EvoM.

There were only a few mentions of Royal Purple and most of the people that mentioned K&N said they were running the PS-1010.

That might be due to the cost associated with the HP-1008? Looks like they are listed on K&Ns site for $14.99.

I still have my test equipment set-up in the garage, so it wouldn't be too hard for me to test more filters if anyone wants to have me give one 'the treatment.' As far as I'm concerned, I'm pretty much done and satisfied with the results so I don't plan on spending any more of my own money to test anymore filters.

id be interested to know if the Royal Purple and K&N Gold filters live up to the hype. Royal Purple claims to be good for up to 10k before needing a change when using their filter, but recomends you change at your vehicles scheduled intervals. ive done a few searches for tests similar to yours, certified or not, for said filters and have come up empty. do you know of any? thanks in advance
SleepySamurai13 is offline  
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:24 PM
  #40  
EvoM Super Moderator
Thread Starter
iTrader: (134)
 
golgo13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: @ a track near you
Posts: 3,612
Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts
So just doing a quick search turned up this video from a couple of years ago where the guy clearly states that the Royal Purple filter is made by Champion Labs. Manufacturing and business agreements change all the time, so without looking at one in person and dissecting it I have no way of knowing anything about it. Same goes for the K&N.




EDIT: There is some incorrect info in that video, but at least you get to see inside of that filter from 2010.

Last edited by golgo13; Nov 27, 2012 at 04:31 PM.
golgo13 is offline  
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:14 PM
  #41  
Evolving Member
iTrader: (4)
 
SleepySamurai13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cabot, AR.
Posts: 322
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice, I didnt think to look on youtube. Whats your take? Im just curious to know if the Royal Purpal filter is worth the extra cost. Im probably just going to continue to use the K&N Gold. Been reliable thus far.
SleepySamurai13 is offline  
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:27 PM
  #42  
EvoM Super Moderator
Thread Starter
iTrader: (134)
 
golgo13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: @ a track near you
Posts: 3,612
Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by SleepySamurai13 View Post
Nice, I didnt think to look on youtube. Whats your take? Im just curious to know if the Royal Purpal filter is worth the extra cost. Im probably just going to continue to use the K&N Gold. Been reliable thus far.
What is your current OCI? Even an OCOD (Orange can of death) FRAM would work fine if your OCI is frequent enough. Long story short, just about any filter will do. That's the reality, even after all of this testing and data collection.

Personally, without testing one it's hard to say. I can't see the construction and who knows if Royal Purple went with a different manufacturer after that video was taken? So far I'm not a fan of the quality I've seen come out of Champion Laboratories. You also have to remember that I'm not an oil filtration expert.



That older video shows what looks like fully synthetic media that is wire backed to handle the pressure of the oil system. It looks very similar to the Ea15k20 I tested.
golgo13 is offline  
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:37 PM
  #43  
Evolving Member
iTrader: (4)
 
SleepySamurai13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cabot, AR.
Posts: 322
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Educate me on OCI, if you dont mind. Probably something I should remember from autoshop...
SleepySamurai13 is offline  
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:41 PM
  #44  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Raptord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 3,521
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SleepySamurai13 View Post
Educate me on OCI, if you dont mind. Probably something I should remember from autoshop...
I'm guessing oil change interval?
Raptord is offline  
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:45 PM
  #45  
EvoM Super Moderator
Thread Starter
iTrader: (134)
 
golgo13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: @ a track near you
Posts: 3,612
Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptord View Post
I'm guessing oil change interval?
Winner!
golgo13 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The OFFICIAL Oil Filter Testing and Results Thread (4G63T/4B11T)


Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.