Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best clutch for a 500hp street car??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best clutch for a 500hp street car??

hey guys,
I’ve been out of the Evo game for a bit now and just recently picked up a built 8. Couldn’t be happier but I’ve got a few problems. Part of the deal with the car that I picked up was that there is a clutch issue. I have not pulled the clutch out yet but it drives very strange considering it has 4k miles on the rebuild (Exedy triple) The clutch engagement points seem to vary and the clutch engages very high in the pedal travel. Shifting into every gear also feels very sloppy (built shep trans with 4k on it) This brings me to my next question. The car is currently on a stock turbo making around 350hp. I plan on bolting on a Fp black over the winter and want to shoot for 500hp. What clutch would you guys recommend for that power level that’s very good all around (streetable but can still take a fair amount of abuse) I had an Exedy twin in my last car and now a triple in this car and can say I’m not a huge fan! I find them noisy, unpredictable and just plain annoying. I’ve done some searching but can't really seem to come up with a good answer. I would really like to stay away from a twin disc but still want something that can take a beating. The ACT clutches sound appealing other than the lockout issues I read about. Is there anything else out there that you guys can recommend. Any input is greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:04 AM

Exedy or cusco twin. Pedal stiffness is not far off standard and will be well able for 500bhp. Easy to drive in traffic etc.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:17 AM
Evolved Member

Exedy Twin HD. you will LOVE it!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

I don't know if you guys read my post and my views on the exedy twin but I would really like to stay away from it and try something different.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Quartermaster 8 leg!!!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

Can't go wrong with the exedy twin HD.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoIXJDM
Quartermaster 8 leg!!!
Im actually interested in this clutch. Anyone have any experience with this clutch? Any comparisons to the exedy twins?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Look into Competition Clutch.

Lucas @ English Racing did a really good review on EvoM for the Comp stage 2.
Edit: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...t-hdss-27.html

I have a comp stage 3.5 and love it. (stock flywheel, 525hp403tq)

Last edited by M8NSTER; Jan 2, 2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
"I find them noisy, unpredictable and just plain annoying"
I'm not sure what are your exceptions of a multi-disc clutch, but the Exedy twin is simply the best kit on the market, many high end kits are simple re-badged Exedys (Toda, Ralliart, HKS). I even used an exedy twin on a supercharged corvette Z06!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Well I have 475hp in my evo right now, without any issue with the quartermaster, I have 1000 miles with it, only a little pedal adjusment, because it has a hydraulic bearing is soft not like the ACT, I launched it in a few events wihout any issue, and yes is a little noisey, but you can live with that
Old Jan 2, 2013, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikey K
Exedy or cusco twin. Pedal stiffness is not far off standard and will be well able for 500bhp. Easy to drive in traffic etc.

ACT XTSS, it is less then half the price and both of mine have lasted well past 80,000 miles. May not be as smooth but laughs at 500HP and lasts, factor in teh cost difference and labr charges it is THOUSANDS of dollars of savings. Not even a contest.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by High_PSI
ACT XTSS, it is less then half the price and both of mine have lasted well past 80,000 miles. May not be as smooth but laughs at 500HP and lasts, factor in teh cost difference and labr charges it is THOUSANDS of dollars of savings. Not even a contest.
Thanks for the response. Just wondering if you ever had lockout issues?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the ACT XTSS and although its ok for daily and street driving, my main complaint is that the pedal pressure is pretty stiff. I have gotten severe calf and leg cramps while driving on occasion....I think my case is a special case, but my next clutch will have to have close to the stock clutch pedal feel and be able to handle the power.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

I've heard alot of good things about quartermaster. Right now im over 500 and im using act HD street disc. I'm waiting for it to go but as long as im not dumping the clutch too much its fine and plenty drivable.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Always go exedy triple for stock feel if you have a few grand laying around lol.

Quick Reply: Best clutch for a 500hp street car??