Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

new member with eclipse

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new member with eclipse

I am new to the site. I own a 2002 eclipse gs and am in the process of doing the evo motor swap to my car. I am only keeping it fwd for now till I get the funds to do the awd conversion. I am using am evo 8 motor. Now my questions what is a reliable honest place to get a motor? DSM graveyard, tae used auto parts and sw engines are all crooks. I have read nothing but negative things about all these companies and no junk yards near me have any evo parts. Any one know were I can get a evo 8 motor, evo 8 ecu with immobilizer, key, ignition, and evo 8 engine bay harness? Also before some one starts telling me the evo motor swap is not possible with just fwd or it would require a bunch of fabrication please research before you post. Also the evo looses 65-75 HP due to the awd drive train correct? Is there any out of the ordinary maintenance you have to do to with the motor like valve adjustment every x amount of miles or is that just haters with butt hurt shooting there mouths off haha
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:54 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Hi and welcome!

I'm going to move your post a forum that might be better suited for your project. Also, as you progress please post an update when you have time. Good luck!

Bob
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hydraulic Lifters on Evo's head so you don't need to adjust the valve lash.
If I were you I would not mess with that Gen. And I would not spend time and money on a FWD build.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

^Really? I suppose I shouldn't have wasted my time or money on converting my 8th gen galant (which btw shares motor and suspension with the 3g) to a full evo build and awd convert it then? What happened to creativity?

OP Just do an evo 8 DOHC swap. 4g64 motors are the same casting as the 63t just a taller deck, and bigger bore. The DOHC swap with give you more potential untill you can afford an awd conversion. also the 2.4 will have more snort when you turbo it with an evo 8 turbo setup. You might what to look at username Greddy on thegalantcenter. His FWD has some potential.

Last edited by galantman03; Sep 16, 2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 03:42 PM

It's good to see another eclipse owner! Hello! So it sounds like your like me. Love the car but want more from it. Anyway from what I have seen here and on club3g it almost makes more sense to turbo the 4g64 and put the dohc off an evo 8 on the stock block. The stock internals are supposedly handle a decent amount of boost and later on, if you want to go AWD, the tranny off an evo 8 swaps with some fabrication on the 2.4. (Or that's what I have read...) anyway if you need to bounce ideas off someone, I am still learning a lot but I spend a lot of time researching opportunities