Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

I finally found a replacement turbo!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2016, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I finally found a replacement turbo!!

So I am currently running a BBK Full on my stock block Evo 9. I have had the full since 2010 and it currently has around 40K miles on it and I love it, but I am wanting to increase the power output to finally meet my end goal of 550hp once the motor is built. I have researched many different setups and I have settled on a 58-60ish lbs/min turbo.

My goal is to build a car that I can use for daily driving, time attack/sprint events and even drag racing. I have become used to the quick response and spool of the BBK so I do not want to lose that feeling. Upon researching I came across multiple kits from various vendors which ranged from PTE5858 to GTX3076R. Since I am currently stationed overseas (United Kingdom) I'm pretty lucky to be in a place that loves Evos and most importantly love racing Evos. I live about 20 minutes from a well known Evo shop, Ross Sport which is fun but dangerous (for my wallet )

So naturally I decided to consult with Ross and see what options he had available. After telling him what the goals were for the car he recommended his V-Band GTX3076R. That kit is a gorgeous setup and I was almost sold on it but since my car is a stock frame setup I was wanting to stay with it if possible. So Ross told me about his newly development HPB-IX ball bearing billet stock frame turbo. This thing is built by Owen Developments and its gorgeous. After some initial testing with his personal Evo 8MR FQ-400 which features a built 2.0L, Jun 264 cams, JMF tubular exhaust header, JMF sheet metal intake, sequential gear box with JDM RS gear ratios, big brake kit, 18" WedsSport TC-105N and Michelin Pilot Pro tires and some weight saving mods it made 558bhp at 2 bar (28-29psi) on Shell V-Power 98ron (93 octane)

Now here in the UK they like to use the Dyno Dynamic AWD dynos. From what I can tell the bhp rating is somewhat close to dynojet numbers. For example my car with my current BBK Full and Hi Flow Cat setup with 29-30 psi made 447bhp on that same dyno Ross's Evo was tested on. On a Dynojet I would venture to say that my car is about 420ish to at most 430hp. So just by the results from his test it seems that this stock frame option is definitely what im looking for.

Although the turbo seemed to deliver what I will eventually push for, I was still curious about the street manner and spool characteristics. So to help me figure it out Ross offer to take me for a ride. Now obviously I cannot really compare his car to mine so I do not expect the same performance but getting some seat time in his Evo 8 with this turbo gave me an example of what the turbo is capable of.

I put together a video which really does not do it any justice. Every time he mashed the pedal I was slammed into the seat and the car just pulled hard. That gear box is insane and sounds bad ***! There was a few time that the Pilot Pros lost traction, although the roads were not exactly dry, that shows the power this car has.

here's the video

So need less to say I have found the replacement for my tried and true BBK Full. And I'm excited that it is a MHI stock frame option. Once I get it installed and tuned I'll share the results in the dyno thread. And I plan on hitting up some track days as well so it should be interesting to see how it does on my car which will still be on a stock block.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Awesome video. Reminded me of WRC on tarmac.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks. That was my first experience in a sequential gear box setup. The noise it generates is crazy but it's a bad *** setup!
Old Feb 20, 2016, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any turbo specs?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 03:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Turbo specs are similar to the new Green from FP....except this one is a BB unit made by OD for Ross Sport.

http://www.forcedperformance.net/mer...e=Lancer-Turbo
Old Feb 21, 2016, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

The turbo was estimated to flow around 58lbs/min but I'm waiting on the specs from Ross.

That green sounds pretty good too
Old Feb 21, 2016, 08:08 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
Turbo specs are similar to the new Green from FP....except this one is a BB unit made by OD for Ross Sport.

if it were, basically, the new FP green, but ball bearing?? droooooooooooool....

yes, please.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad I haven't pulled the trigger on a turbo just yet. Waiting to see results on this although I'm kind of sold on the new fp green.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 08:33 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Drsous
Glad I haven't pulled the trigger on a turbo just yet. Waiting to see results on this although I'm kind of sold on the new fp green.
i wouldn't stress about it much. not like you would be disappointed. that turbo looks to be awesome. definitely at the top of my "want" list.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Although I have not received the full specs of the HPB-IX it seems to be pretty similar to the new green.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Here are some details

Available in 360° HD Journal Bearing or OD Ball Bearing Spec
Highly Efficient Propriatorey Turbine Aero
80mm Ported Compressor Cover
Red Anodised HTA Billet Compressor Wheel
Conical Compressor wheel nut
Turbo Smart Actuator
Built and assembled by Owen Developments in the UK

Click on the link to see the dyno graph at different boost plots.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ross...1dkw4.jpg.html

I'm pulling the trigger on this one, it's nice that it's currently local to me and the power band and output is what I am looking for. Not to mention that on E85 this thing would be a beast.

Either one you go with its sure to be a blast

Last edited by vmrevo9; Feb 21, 2016 at 09:15 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 09:26 AM
kaj

i could swap the WGA for a stock-appearing part... but the 80mm cover kills it for me. bleh.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry OP for the off topic

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC

So has this ball bearing FP Green been updated for 2016?
Or is that the older version?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 12:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by BoostNY
Sorry OP for the off topic

So has this ball bearing FP Green been updated for 2016?
Or is that the older version?
It doesn't say.

But I don't see why FP couldn't make this as a ball bearing with a XONA center cartridge if you really wanted it
Old Feb 22, 2016, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
The Dyno Ross posed of this turbo on MLR showed it to be quiet laggy.
Its not difficult to make 550bhp DynoDynamics (which is roughly 550whp Dynojet here in USA): the challenge is retaining spool/response of the BBK-Full and BBK-B.
And that I don't believe this turbo does.

Perhaps you'll prove us wrong.

If stock-frame is a must, I would also consider Blouch XTR 2.0 and XTR 3.0, I believe that the spool would be circa same as BBK-Full on XTR 2.0 (Former BBK-B), and XTR 3.0 is like former BBK-C so likely a bit laggier than B/Full.

Ross HTA3076 is really awesome setup, my only concern is that its V-band single scroll, easy and reliable for track-focused car but 300-400rpm laggier than 3076 twin scroll.

Last edited by alpinaturbo; Feb 22, 2016 at 05:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
R. Mutt (Apr 19, 2016)

Quick Reply: I finally found a replacement turbo!!