Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

transmission gearing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2016, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission gearing

hi i am not familiar with the gearing ration on evo 9 transmission. I just got my transmission built and the shop had recommended evo 8 1st gear my stock 9 2-5 gear and 4.0 final drive for what i was looking to do with the car. i daily the car in the street and also drag strip. wanted to get decent mpg also. i know people recommend 9 1st gear and 4.11 fd. just want some thoughts if this was a good choice. the reason this shop told me to use the 8 1st was with the 4.0 the gear would be too tall.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
With a taller final drive than stock, the 8 first gear is what you want.
The following users liked this post:
mikakatk2 (Mar 8, 2016)
Old Mar 8, 2016, 12:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
why do you need a taller final drive? if your going to be drag racing or top speed runs, then go for it.

as i thought i was going to drag race my car a lot more than i did, hence the reason to use a 4.11 & only use 1-4th in the quarter.

I live in a hilly area & DD my car. once i went to a 4.11 fd with evo9 1/2 gears, = a nightmare. oem fd & evo8 1/2 = no problem.

im 50 years old & have been driving hi perf manual trans vehicles my whole life, this was absolutely the biggest gearing mistake i ever made.

I went back to evo 8 1/2 & oem FD.

if you live in the flat lands & need such a tall FD, then by all means go for it, as you need it.

simply dont do it to "just do it".

GL
Old Mar 8, 2016, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm over in Boston and its mostly flat lands over here. i like a taller fd just to keep the rpm lower when i do long trips. i figure it would give me better mpg. i guess i will see how it goes when the motors finished and everything together. thanks guys ill keep you posted on how it turns out.

Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
why do you need a taller final drive? if your going to be drag racing or top speed runs, then go for it.

as i thought i was going to drag race my car a lot more than i did, hence the reason to use a 4.11 & only use 1-4th in the quarter.

I live in a hilly area & DD my car. once i went to a 4.11 fd with evo9 1/2 gears, = a nightmare. oem fd & evo8 1/2 = no problem.

im 50 years old & have been driving hi perf manual trans vehicles my whole life, this was absolutely the biggest gearing mistake i ever made.

I went back to evo 8 1/2 & oem FD.

if you live in the flat lands & need such a tall FD, then by all means go for it, as you need it.

simply dont do it to "just do it".

GL