Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Self-Built oil pan

Old May 1, 2016, 08:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Tell that to Moroso, AMS, and RaceFab LOL. If someone wants one, that's fine. If not, less work. Haha
This is a DIY thread, not so much "for sale", so no worries if no interest.
Some one else has been the guinea pig and testes the racefab here in the states. So while racefab hasn't tested it, someone has.

Even for yourself you should set up a datalogger for oil pressure so you know you didn't waster your time.
Old May 1, 2016, 09:19 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I'll be keeping an eye on my gauges. The drop was obvious before so should be a noticeable difference.
If I were looking to go into business, I'd worry about getting numbers and stuff or wait for my own guinea pig LOL.
There's more oil, proven baffling, and seals like OEM, so I'm happy with it. That is worth my time, IMO.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 01:44 PM
kaj

I have one, maybe two people wanting a pan. We need one, possibly two to get an order of at least three, if anyone is interested. If anyone has sent me an email, I'll be replying there again, too.
Lemme know asap! Gracias.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 01:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Kaj, PM me pricing again. And do you know if this will work as well as we have seen the Racefab work?
Old Sep 7, 2016, 02:31 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Kaj, PM me pricing again. And do you know if this will work as well as we have seen the Racefab work?

It's pretty much the same design, now that I look at them. We use the same diamond-shaped trap door design. We didn't move the pick up location, because we wanted to use all the stock stuff. With the added capacity, shape of the sump, and baffling, we didn't see a real need to move the pick up anyway.
Some people are asking for data logging info. I don't have a way to log oil pressure, but I can't find any data on other pans to compare it to, anyway.
They are pricey, though, I ain't gonna lie. $500 plus a good pan (including shipping as long as in continental U.S.). You will get it back finished with paint and we can even place a bung if you want to send one along. These things are a P.I.T.A. to make, which is the reason for the min qty order and price tag.

If anyone is curious to see his work, Google or Facebook Caliber Customs. You may also find an article on a car he's doing with a T.V. show or magazine (I forget which). Matt is a legit fab guy, no b.s.

Basically, we're a bunch of racers making stuff to fix the shortcomings of our race cars LOL.

Four quarts on a high-performance turbo car is just crazy.

Last edited by kaj; Sep 7, 2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
I like this idea. May jump on this once I do my 2.4LR.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sent PM
Old Sep 9, 2016, 11:20 AM
kaj

Looks like we need one more person. Anyone?
Old Sep 12, 2016, 11:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not to shabby!
Old Sep 19, 2016, 09:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts
I may be. But like most I'd like at least some in car video showing oil press vs before the pan. I was going to send my pan to racefab but this could be a viable, domestic alternative.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 01:22 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by V.8MR
I may be. But like most I'd like at least some in car video showing oil press vs before the pan. I was going to send my pan to racefab but this could be a viable, domestic alternative.
There is a good chance I won't make a track day this year. Does Moroso, Racefab, and the other companies have videos or datalogging info on their pans or are we trusting them because they are name brands?

I have been getting one person interested at a time, unfortunately, I haven't had three or more people ordering at the same time.

As I mentioned above, I kinda don't mind because I only make about $30 per pan and building/picking up/shipping is a pain in the *** LOL
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
There is a good chance I won't make a track day this year. Does Moroso, Racefab, and the other companies have videos or datalogging info on their pans or are we trusting them because they are name brands?

I have been getting one person interested at a time, unfortunately, I haven't had three or more people ordering at the same time.

As I mentioned above, I kinda don't mind because I only make about $30 per pan and building/picking up/shipping is a pain in the *** LOL
Balrok has posted good solid data that the racefab worlks, and his car is wheel-to-wheel race prepped running ho-ho's.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 01:59 PM
kaj

Balrok has posted good solid data that the racefab worlks, and his car is wheel-to-wheel race prepped running ho-ho's.
I know and it's good for RaceFab. My point is that everyone seems to buy stuff from the other companies, without question, but wants me to find a way to show results. I don't mind it's just kinda funny LOL.
If i can find a way to swing a track day I'll at least get some helmet cam vids like you and I discussed.
Other than that, I have a few 270* on ramps I can use.

Maybe I'm just unmotivated since there's not much in it for me LOL. Plus, it's hard to find the time to make the 40mi round trip..twice. I'll do it, though, if I get enough people together. I don't mind a bit of inconvenience to help people out with something they need.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 03:05 PM
EvoM Guru

I was actually holding off on buying the racefab until Balrok posted his results. Now I'm holding off because I'm broke and prob won't do anymore track days this year....LOL
Old Sep 21, 2016, 08:38 PM
kaj

I was actually holding off on buying the racefab until Balrok posted his results. Now I'm holding off because I'm broke and prob won't do anymore track days this year....LOL
Same here. No money LOL.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Self-Built oil pan