Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbo woes..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:20 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Turbo woes..

**update:

After a couple emails from FP it's been determined the problem was "exhaust turbine blade ejection" and there is no way to say, for sure, what caused it. "Rapid heat cycling, over spinning, or FOD" were the reasons I was given, which we all knew.
So, I learned nothing LOL.
They did offer to apply the $100 to a new unit, since the turbine housing, CHRA, ... well everything was toast. I've decided not to get another, seeing how I have no idea why it failed and I'd hate to have another Green die on me. I put together a stock turbo and will running that until I (possibly) do another HTA71... but only if the IX turbo runs without issue, so I know the failures aren't due to something with the car.
They asked when I bought the turbo. I'm assuming since it was April of '16, that puts it out of warranty, though I never drove the car. My advice: don't buy a turbo until you need it, otherwise warranties are pointless.
My next car will be N/A.

for reals, though. it will.

Original Post:

*Pulled the stock turbo and sold it. I knew I would regret it. LOL
​​​​​​*Bought a MAP ef2.5. It was fun until it blew up.
*Sent the turbo to MAP for a repair/upgrade.
*It was fine until it died during tuning.
*Bought an HKS 7460. It never worked as expected.
*Put together an FP HTA71. Most fun I've had in an Evo. Should have kept it but wanted something that wouldn't have to work so hard at the track.
*Ordered an FP Green. Was supposed to be the 54, or whatever, but I got an HTZ 73. Rolled with it.
*Over a year of ownership I put about 1,500-2000 miles on it. Went to Autox last weekend and it went poof.
During install, I primed the new engine and turbo with a drill; verified by oil coming out the return line. Oil is fed from the OFH using FPs line and filter. Filter was checked before every event. Only used VR1 oil and never ran beyond 26psi. Temps never exceeded 280°F and I ran a wet sump that holds 6.5 quarts of oil and has baffling/trap doors. Pressure never dropped during events. Did four boost leak tests to confirm there were none, to prevent over-spinning it.

I'm stumped. Anyone else hear of this happening?

**EDIT: it has been brought to my attention that this thread may appear that I am complaining about the FP turbo. I am not! I thought it would be funny to share my experience with aftermarket turbos LOL. I am curious to know if anybody's turbo has died on them unexpectedly.
I have no problem with forced performance nor their products, in fact I will be using another of their products very soon!

Going back to a stock turbo. I think I'm done with aftermarket.

​​​​​​

Last edited by kaj; Aug 22, 2017 at 06:26 AM.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
sorry to hear man that sucks!
Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
*Pulled the stock turbo and sold it. I knew I would regret it. LOL
​​​​​​*Bought a MAP ef2.5. It was fun until it blew up.
*Sent the turbo to MAP for a repair/upgrade.
*It was fine until it died during tuning.
*Bought an HKS 7460. It never worked as expected.
*Put together an FP HTA71. Most fun I've had in an Evo. Should have kept it but wanted something that wouldn't have to work so hard at the track.
*Ordered an FP Green. Was supposed to be the 54, or whatever, but I got an HTZ 73. Rolled with it.
*Over a year of ownership I put about 1,500-2000 miles on it. Went to Autox last weekend and it went poof.
During install, I primed the new engine and turbo with a drill; verified by oil coming out the return line. Oil is fed from the OFH using FPs line and filter. Filter was checked before every event. Only used VR1 oil and never ran beyond 26psi. Temps never exceeded 280°F and I ran a wet sump that holds 6.5 quarts of oil and has baffling/trap doors. Pressure never dropped during events. Did four boost leak tests to confirm there were none, to prevent over-spinning it.

I'm stumped. Anyone else hear of this happening?

Going back to a stock turbo. I think I'm done with aftermarket.

​​​​​​
Go back to the 71hta with stock oil/coolant feed/return lines
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by e_kobz
^^I like this advice as well, the 71HTA is a nice step up from a stock Evo 9 turbo, making more power and very reasonable boost threshold response and can be amped up with E85 etc.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 08:58 AM
kaj

You pretty much read my mind. All FP touches is the comp wheel, so everything else is OEM, yes?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 08:59 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Boost Demon
^^I like this advice as well, the 71HTA is a nice step up from a stock Evo 9 turbo, making more power and very reasonable boost threshold response and can be amped up with E85 etc.
Yup. I've missed mine ever since I got rid of it.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
You pretty much read my mind. All FP touches is the comp wheel, so everything else is OEM, yes?
Correct.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
I moved from stock to 7460r which blew its oil seals. that turbo was unbelievable.

then FP green, which never had any specific problems, but decided afterwards to go to back to stock turbo & close to stock power levels. never regretted it since.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:03 AM
kaj

Correct.
That's what I was hoping. 100% going back to that turbo.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:18 AM
kaj

*EDIT: it has been brought to my attention that this thread may appear that I am complaining about the FP turbo. I am not! I thought it would be funny to share my experience with aftermarket turbos LOL. I am curious to know if anybody's turbo has died on them unexpectedly.
I have no problem with forced performance nor their products, in fact I will be using another of their products very soon!
Old Aug 3, 2017, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
what sort of AFR do you run at full throttle?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 01:33 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
what sort of AFR do you run at full throttle?
depends on RPM: 13:5 -> 11.7-11.8
Old Aug 3, 2017, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Ever think about going garrett stock frame?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 02:25 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by ronaldo9
Ever think about going garrett stock frame?
I do like Garrett products but wasn't even aware they made one LOL
Old Aug 3, 2017, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
I have been very happy with my billet GTX style 20g that uses a 9 blade TD05 wheel. I have over 10kmi on it, with many 1/4 track passes. I will be doing road/race event with it soon enough (which will really test the durability). Stock oil inlet and return lines used. Uses the OEM MHI turbine housing (untouched) and a turbosmart actuator. As you can see in my signature, it makes crazy power down low and up top. The 71hta is actually a 68mm compressor just like the 20g (and stock compressor) with the stock turbine. The 9 blade TD05 allows a flow closer to 500hp while the OEM 12 blade is a bit more restricting. A poster added some EVO 8/9 results in my thread. I documented this odd setup here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ett-kamak.html

I would also consider a GT30 based Garrett (as mentioned), if your budget allows.

~Jaraxle

Last edited by Jaraxle; Aug 3, 2017 at 07:21 PM. Reason: URL not shown

Quick Reply: Turbo woes..