Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 8 transfer case removal help!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I made my slide hammer into a one purpose tool. I welded the bolt onto it.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
That slide hammer you linked would work great using one of those L brackets. Drill a hole through the end and stick the bolt through it and screw it into the half shaft and youll be golden.

I should just buy one already bc I end up renting one from AZ and while it works fine its got these claw things and it can be annoying at times to keep it on the washer/ bolt head.

I can see the puller method Kiki mentioned being handy if youre in a pinch and dont have a slide hammer but have misc hardware. Maybe I'll try that method next time around.
I've found that using the H shaped piece for the 2 jaw setup which comes in most kits works wonderfully. Just slip one end underneath the bolt head and you don't have to worry about it slipping off like with the 3 jaw attachment.

Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
^See its funny bc Ive had better luck using the 3 vs the 2. Either way when I end up buying a slide hammer vs renting one Ill be welding up some sort of L bracket for it bc I dont think you can get much easier than that. Sometimes the knuckle can get in the way if you, you know pull out the outer axle and slip the eccentric bolts back in to hold the the knuckle to the strut and forget to pull out the half shafts before doing that. So now youre attacking it at an angle like I was doing last week and it fought me for 5 minutes, lol. I won but still think L bracket is the bees knees!
Old Nov 8, 2017, 01:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Maybe I misread you or vice versa but to clarify what I meant was use the H piece without the claws attached. Just slip one open end of the H under neath the bolt head. Similar idea as an L bracket.

Last edited by Ayoustin; Nov 8, 2017 at 02:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
heel2toe (Nov 8, 2017)
Old Nov 8, 2017, 01:22 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
this is what i used:

https://www.harborfreight.com/slide-...-pc-62959.html

slide the second attachment from the right over the head of the bolt.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
Maybe I misread you or vice versa but to clarify what I meant was use the H piece without the claws attached. Just slip one open end of the H under neath the bolt head. Similar idea as an L bracket.
Wow that is pure genius! Holy crap that is seriously brilliant haha! Yeah I didnt read it as such but now your last explanation makes more sense; I just thought you meant slip one of the claw things under it.

There you have it learn something new every day. For the numerous times I've had to pull the half shafts as easy as it is, my favorite was a rigged up slide hammer a buddy had with an L bracket like I was describing but the past few times I used a rental with the claws that worked fine but sometimes took me a couple minutes to get it on there nicely without slipping off.

Seriously though for such a silly lil trick that is great thanks for the further clarification
Old Nov 8, 2017, 05:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
I just used a chain and a bolt that fit into the shaft. Just kept yanking it and it came out.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
I can see the puller method Kiki mentioned being handy if youre in a pinch and dont have a slide hammer but have misc hardware. Maybe I'll try that method next time around.

the puller method is super simple if you have junk in the workshop (like old wheel bearings or similar... ) You basically need a tube that is larger than the output seal (so that you do not lean on the seal) and a large enough washer.. I found it easier to do than use a slide hammer..
Old Nov 17, 2017, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kikiturbo
the puller method is super simple if you have junk in the workshop (like old wheel bearings or similar... ) You basically need a tube that is larger than the output seal (so that you do not lean on the seal) and a large enough washer.. I found it easier to do than use a slide hammer..
I agree, although this tool is small enough to fit inside the seal (also easy and no damage).
Old Nov 20, 2017, 09:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
LOL, I've never had a shaft come out that easy, there must not be a tacase bolted up to the other side of that trans...