Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Time to rebuild the block

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2018, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really need some help that’s why I made a profile for these forums but I’m not sure how to make my own forum so I have to ask on this one. I recently got some gsc s2 cams installed along with a ported head but after I got the car back it didn’t make that lop sound that it should. I wanna believe that they got installed since I went from 320 whp @ 24 psi to 349 whp @ 26 psi on 91 pump gas but I have no lop sound. Only time I can kinda hear it is when it’s a cold start but other than that I don’t hear it at all? Does it have to do with the tune or do you think the shop I got it installed at scammed me?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 04:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Dakota Evo
i havent seen any broken 100mm oem cranks

but we usually keep those under 650 whp and dont rev them over 8k....once in a while on kill mode 8500
of course you don't they will take 1000 hp with no issues.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 04:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by patrick.ix
I really need some help that’s why I made a profile for these forums but I’m not sure how to make my own forum so I have to ask on this one. I recently got some gsc s2 cams installed along with a ported head but after I got the car back it didn’t make that lop sound that it should. I wanna believe that they got installed since I went from 320 whp @ 24 psi to 349 whp @ 26 psi on 91 pump gas but I have no lop sound. Only time I can kinda hear it is when it’s a cold start but other than that I don’t hear it at all? Does it have to do with the tune or do you think the shop I got it installed at scammed me?

Its cause you have GSC S2 cams. Unless you run them a little lean at idle at least from my experience they don't loap like big cams will.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cursedsm
That totally sucks, but is a load of **** being there are plenty of cars on this forum that make that kinda power with after market cranks that have not broken.

It sucks it took out your rod journal but I don't think they take into accountability that larger stroke engines will have more vibrations and people over rev the **** out of them causing them to go boom. I don't know your displacement but if its 2.3 or 2.4 your going to have that issue.

I know when I had my 2.4 done even with the crank balanced and fluidamper on the car the vibrations in the crank area will not go away its just how things are with the 100mm cranks.

I have a 2.4. I don't run a fluidamper. I have the machine shop balance the factory harmonic balancer as well as the full rotating assembly to help with the vibrations. New motor I built is still a 2.4 but this time I used an OEM crank and aluminum rods so we shall see how that works.

My engine builder literally a month after I cracked the rod journal on my crank had the same thing happen on his turbo tuff 88mm crank in his 2 liter. Doesn't seem to matter which crank it is. They both have the same issue.

I know back when my tuner had his evo that he made 870 on a oem 100mm crank and never had any issues at all. Since I am downsizing my setup on my car I don't see there being any issues this time around.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 01:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by cficare68
I have a 2.4. I don't run a fluidamper. I have the machine shop balance the factory harmonic balancer as well as the full rotating assembly to help with the vibrations. New motor I built is still a 2.4 but this time I used an OEM crank and aluminum rods so we shall see how that works.

My engine builder literally a month after I cracked the rod journal on my crank had the same thing happen on his turbo tuff 88mm crank in his 2 liter. Doesn't seem to matter which crank it is. They both have the same issue.

I know back when my tuner had his evo that he made 870 on a oem 100mm crank and never had any issues at all. Since I am downsizing my setup on my car I don't see there being any issues this time around.

Yeah that totally sucks bro. I know when the engine builder did mine he didn't recommend the fluidamper, but he balanced the rotating assy with it so it should be good right? Answer is no at higher rpms you can litterly feel it vibrate. I was told it has to do with the way the cranks was designed being they aren't made to be spun that high.

I know I have spun mine to 8000 every time I've been to the track and so far "knocks on wood" no problems. Well best of luck to everyone who is rebuilding because of this issue.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 03:28 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah that totally sucks bro. I know when the engine builder did mine he didn't recommend the fluidamper, but he balanced the rotating assy with it so it should be good right? Answer is no at higher rpms you can litterly feel it vibrate. I was told it has to do with the way the cranks was designed being they aren't made to be spun that high.

I know I have spun mine to 8000 every time I've been to the track and so far "knocks on wood" no problems. Well best of luck to everyone who is rebuilding because of this issue.

I was revving mine too 8500 on the Manley Crank w/ steel rods and never once had any vibrations what so ever. My new motor was intended originally to try to rev to 9k. But decided to go a different route with the car and I am putting a turbo on it that wont flow at that rpm level.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 04:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by cficare68
I was revving mine too 8500 on the Manley Crank w/ steel rods and never once had any vibrations what so ever. My new motor was intended originally to try to rev to 9k. But decided to go a different route with the car and I am putting a turbo on it that wont flow at that rpm level.
Alot of what i feel is solid mounts that doesn't help at all.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

Alot of what i feel is solid mounts that doesn't help at all.

I too have solid mounts all the way around.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I have made 950 whp on oem 88mm but thread isnt about that

100mm oem seem to be hit or miss with big power

not sure if the eclipse one is better than the galant one or the outlander...would be nice if someone could chime in
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dakota Evo
I have made 950 whp on oem 88mm but thread isnt about that

100mm oem seem to be hit or miss with big power

not sure if the eclipse one is better than the galant one or the outlander...would be nice if someone could chime in

they are all the same