Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

head build

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
head build

Hey guys, im planning on installing gsc s2 cams, valve springs and retainers, lifters, and i figured if im in there maybe i should change the valve seals. Car doesnt smoke but why not if im in there. Im trying to do this in car. My question is, do i have to pressurize the cylinder with air? I thought if you put the piston at tdc the valve doesnt drop or is it to keep the valve in its natural position to reach for the keepers? Also, with the valve seals do i just pull them off and press them back on with my fingers? thx guys...
Old Mar 2, 2018, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
use the air.
do the seals.
pull the old ones off with pliers, push the new ones one with an appropriately sized socket.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

when pushing the seals on wouldnt it push the valve causing air to leak and drop it?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by nor11384
Hey guys, im planning on installing gsc s2 cams, valve springs and retainers, lifters, and i figured if im in there maybe i should change the valve seals. Car doesnt smoke but why not if im in there. Im trying to do this in car. My question is, do i have to pressurize the cylinder with air? I thought if you put the piston at tdc the valve doesnt drop or is it to keep the valve in its natural position to reach for the keepers? Also, with the valve seals do i just pull them off and press them back on with my fingers? thx guys...
Are you planning to reset timing belt? How will you rotate cylinders 2 & 3 to TDC if cams are off? Are you going to put cams on to rotate and then remove to work on those cylinders? They won't drop in if that cylinder is at TDC.
I don't like compressed air because the pressure can rotate engine (so you need to lock crank down before pressurizing) and I don't like the moisture that will buildup on your cold cylinder walls. I took my time to clean timing gears, pulleys, CAS, etc, so I didn't start car for a week. I don't want moisture drying on cylinder walls while engine stays off.

Last edited by 2006EvoIXer; Mar 2, 2018 at 09:58 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

when pushing the seals on wouldnt it push the valve causing air to leak and drop it?
Very possible! Best method is probably rope so less risk of bending valves.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 07:14 PM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
double post

Last edited by RightSaid fred; Mar 3, 2018 at 12:09 AM.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 07:15 PM
Account Disabled

If you're going to do all of those jobs at the same time, you're better off taking the head off.
Less chance of having an accident.

Changing cams?
They need degreeing,

Cant do it properly with engine in car........engine out.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

I was planning to do it with tensioner tool and zip tie belt to cam gears but you’re right, I can’t set other pistons to tdc that way...**** I don’t want to pull head...:sigh:
Old Mar 2, 2018, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I already did what you want to do,changed to s3,kiggly’s,and changed the seals.I got some rope alittle smaller than the spark plug hole,lowered down the piston alittle bit in the cylinder you are working on feed the rope in and raise the piston up until the rope is tight,it is a pain the butt.Re installing the keepers are a pain in the butt also,got to have patience.I never degreed the cams,just lined it back up.i rev to 8500 and make around 580 on e85.stock motor.First time every doing this also
Old Mar 2, 2018, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

I was planning to do it with tensioner tool and zip tie belt to cam gears but you’re right, I can’t set other pistons to tdc that way...**** I don’t want to pull head...:sigh:
Fred is right. It is safer to take head off. All it takes is to drop a valve stem into a drain during an install and then you'll wish you pulled the head. Otherwise, better make sure you have plenty of patience that day.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

And if you're going to pull your head off, here's your chance to match port your intake and exhaust ports and smooth out all the imprefections.
Check this out:

Last edited by 2006EvoIXer; Mar 2, 2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:14 AM
Account Disabled

Fitting new cams and other related parts ......you really want to measure the guide to retainer clearance at full lift, that's with the seal off. Then if it's not enough, how will you fix it?
With the head still on?
So you may as well just leave it as it is until you need the next clutch replacing, then do lots at once.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 03:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Head rebuild

Its possible. But risky. Once your belt jump, you need to re-do the timing again.

Ive done it. Just buy timing gear lock.
1. Take out the all the rockers.
2. TDC, cyl 1&4. Lock the gear with gear lock and zip ties. Mark belt with sharpee inlign with cam gears dot.
3. Loosen the tensioner. Not much.
4. Take out intake shaft, and do cylinder 1 & 4.
5. Install intake shaft.
6. Take out exhaust shaft and do cyl 1 & 4
7. Install exhaust shaft. And take out tensioner and gear lock.
8. Rotate to cylinder 2 & 3 TDC and do number 2-7 again.

after you install everything, rotate gears until the sharpee marks on the belt inlign again with dot marks of both gears.
It will take you like 16 turns or so to lign it up again.

Just take your time and always use magnets for your keepers and cover all the holes with blue rags.

goodluck!

Last edited by maxroach; Mar 3, 2018 at 03:32 AM.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 04:44 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like fun lol...
Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like fun lol...
If you pull head off, you should clean up the factory imperfections and match port to gasket:

Quick Reply: head build