Spun out hit a gutter. Smoke and leak - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Spun out hit a gutter. Smoke and leak

Old Jul 7, 2018, 07:26 PM

Spun out hit a gutter. Smoke and leak

Not a great first post but I'd appreciate some help before I take my intake mani off and start looking. I was driving home from gym and took a corner too fast and slide out and hit the gutter sideways. Somehow sustained no body damage besides cracked paint on my bumper. I drove home down the road and there was a fair bit of smoke coming out. The car was not overheating, however it seemed to be making more and more noise. I thought it was a hole in the radiator but it looks fine. I jacked the car up and there is coolant sprayed everywhere but no where near the radiator, it is all further back. I let it dry and wiped it up where I could. I started the car and it looks like it leaking under the intake manifold somewhere. Any ideas on likely leak locations? I got a quick video and pic to assist
Old Jul 7, 2018, 08:07 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

You may have shuttered the motor so hard that it failed the water coolant pipe under the intake mani (just a thought) (see attached image)

I take it youre sure you have a loss of coolant?

Keep us posted please. Take more pics

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Jul 7, 2018 at 08:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MinusPrevious For This Useful Post:
Callum Gracie (Jul 8, 2018)
Old Jul 7, 2018, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

Heater core hose(s) come off of that pipe as well. Due to our cars’ age they may be brittle enough to dry rot and crack if they have never been replaced. Be sure to have a look at them as well.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious View Post
You may have shuttered the motor so hard that it failed the water coolant pipe under the intake mani (just a thought) (see attached image)

I take it youre sure you have a loss of coolant?

Keep us posted please. Take more pics

Well I can identify it is coolant because it is dripping on the ground but only when it is running. I can't achieve any overly helpful pictures at this time so should I just take the intake manifold off and inspect the cooling system?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 10:44 PM

Okay so I got the battery, strut bar and piping off. During the week I will try and remove the intake manifold and have a look. 2 more days and I get my AD08Rs put on

Edit: So after a long time feeling, videoing piping from all angles I still can't find the source of the leak, however I have a pretty good idea where it is coming from (Just as minus previous said). If I follow the lower rad piping to under the intake manifold I believe it is leaking here as coolant has pooled up beneath it. I'm not really up to removing the intake manifold myself due to lake of tools and patience. From here it is my intent have the car towed to the mechanic to be fixed. This will also be good to ensure I missed no other problems after my little crash.

Last edited by Callum Gracie; Jul 8, 2018 at 04:26 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Callum Gracie For This Useful Post:
MinusPrevious (Jul 8, 2018)
Old Jul 8, 2018, 05:11 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

If you had the car on ramps, you may get a better look at it from underneath. Great to hear you are already working on this & will get it fixed

Update the thread as to what actually failed

Old Jul 10, 2018, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Intake manifold? That's too much work. Get to that pipe from underneath. Get some ramps and fix it from under the car. Intake manifold is a lot of work.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

And post some engine bay pictures with the coolant ponding.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

You don't have to go under the car. There's one bolt holding it on driver side of the block. Remove bolt, and pop it out of the water pump. I don't see how that pipe got damaged though.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone View Post
You don't have to go under the car. There's one bolt holding it on driver side of the block. Remove bolt, and pop it out of the water pump. I don't see how that pipe got damaged though.
Cheers I will give this a go. I'm not too sure about the damage. I will remove the pipe tomorrow If I can.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 06:36 AM
EvoM Moderator

Why not just touch whatever's leaking on the floor and diagnose from there? It looks like coolant from the picture, but feel / smell will tell you what it is
Old Jul 11, 2018, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Have you tried using coolant dye with a UV light to find the leak? I'm going to tackle the same project this weekend aswell.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 08:44 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone View Post
^This X2! The bolt attaches to the thermostat housing on the driveside. Removing the IM is completely unnecessary. But I too doubt that pipe is your issue. More realistically a rubber hose failed so take a good look at that diagram that MinusPrevious posted and check all those hoses.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.