Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Fixing the Evo Oil system - External Oil Pressure Regulator. Why and how?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2020, 02:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
No it doesn't. The pickup will still starve. The oil coming from the pressure relief does not last long.

The only decent solution if you chose that route (which I've considered heavily) would be to plumb an accumulator between the relief and the inlet of the pump.
I said it fixes the issue of oil pressure relief just dumping to the pan. I made no mention of this also fixing starvation issues.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 02:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 306 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The front line fab pump fixes that.
Yup agreed, and i've actually made that point in my first main post.
But the FF pump is $1600 USD and it still requires a baffled sump.

What i'm trying to do is make a solution that is significantly cheaper than the FF pump, with all the functionality.
It aims to solves a bunch of problems to aid in reliability.
If you're at the stage where you are completely draining the oil pan in RH corners then you need a dry sump. Period.
Unless you want to run the risk of it grenading randomly, which it will eventually do.

I love it how so many people say "oh I dont need that, I dont have any engine problems".
But then they dont even log oil pressure.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
Where did you get this fitting being pointed to in the picture below, which screws into where the factory oil pressure relief spring is located?

Old Jul 3, 2020, 04:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
Where did you get this fitting being pointed to in the picture below, which screws into where the factory oil pressure relief spring is located?
It's an O2 Bung Extender. Same thread and means it clears the oil pump front cover.
What do you think of my idea?

Next plan is to do a new sump extension with a regulator built into the sump.
So it will eliminate the need for remote mounting the regulator and removes one of the AN lines also. Simpler!
The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (Jul 3, 2020)
Old Jul 3, 2020, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOFans
You can have your cake and eat it too
Norris Design make dry sump kit that have possibility to retain A/C
As does magnus
Old Jul 5, 2020, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RSMike
It's an O2 Bung Extender. Same thread and means it clears the oil pump front cover.
I like the idea and I am thinking about potentially doing the same, but not sure.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

How did you block off the factory oil pressure relief passage to the block in the oil filter housing?
Old Jul 6, 2020, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

How did you block off the factory oil pressure relief passage to the block in the oil filter housing?
Nevermind, I just tapped it 1/8" NPT. I guess I am committed at this point since I just ordered everything!

Old Jul 6, 2020, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

I drilled a hole in the factory cap and then welded a piece of stainless tubing to it and will next weld on a -10an fitting on the end of the tube. Should have the weld on fittings Wednesday.

Old Jul 6, 2020, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Next plan is to do a new sump extension with a regulator built into the sump.
So it will eliminate the need for remote mounting the regulator and removes one of the AN lines also. Simpler!
The regulator is on back order for a few weeks so curious as to the setup with the regulator built into the sump. My new pan is coming from MAP so I will be adding a small front sump and along with custom baffling using a knockoff of the Tomei Universal Baffle kit. Going to experiment on the old pan to figure out how to remove the tack welds without pocking a hole in the pan so likely going to start with a spot weld cutter.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 01:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a kiggy hla, ER oil gear, and moroso pan. And all I do is drag race so I think I should be okay. But I've honestly been thinking of trying something very similar to this. Excellent write up.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 09:32 PM
EvoM Guru

The regulator is on back order for a few weeks so curious as to the setup with the regulator built into the sump. My new pan is coming from MAP so I will be adding a small front sump and along with custom baffling using a knockoff of the Tomei Universal Baffle kit. Going to experiment on the old pan to figure out how to remove the tack welds without pocking a hole in the pan so likely going to start with a spot weld cutter.
Good to see you're giving it a go!
Old Jul 20, 2020, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Good to see you're giving it a go!
Yep, went with the Aviaid regulator since the one you used was on back order. The also had the kind that mount to the pan you mentioned and seal with an oring, but I decided that was not for me and went with the AN fittings.
https://aviaid.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/remot-reg.htm

In hindsight I should have just put this in between the oil filter housing and the oil cooler instead of welding the fitting to the oil bypass spring cap, but it works just the same either way.

Last edited by 240Z TwinTurbo; Jul 21, 2020 at 08:01 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 08:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Yep, when with the Aviaid regulator since the one you used was on back order. The also had the kind that mount to the pan you mentioned and seal with an oring, but I decided that was not for me and when with the AN fittings.
https://aviaid.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/remot-reg.htm

In hindsight I should have just put this in between the oil filter housing and the oil cooler instead of welding the fitting to the oil bypass spring cap, but it works just the same either way.
I thought about that too. But I wasn't sure if the oil filter could handle the full flow of the oil pump. So I opted for the factory style oil routing with the regulator bleeding pressure off before the oil filter.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

I thought about that too. But I wasn't sure if the oil filter could handle the full flow of the oil pump. So I opted for the factory style oil routing with the regulator bleeding pressure off before the oil filter.
The relief spring in the filter causes the oil to mostly bypasses the filter element at 14psi, but either way it will do the same thing. I guess it might be better using the spot you chose because that bypass location will have the highest flow.

Quick Reply: Fixing the Evo Oil system - External Oil Pressure Regulator. Why and how?