Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

8500 rpm evo ix whats needed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2020, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8500 rpm evo ix whats needed

Hi everyone what is needed to run 8500 rpm "safely"
Currently i have a forged bottom end with gsc s2 cams and Manley springs and retainers.
Stock balance shafts is also still in place
Im running a gtx3576r so would like a bit more rpm at the top.
Any recomendations is welcome
Old Jun 5, 2020, 12:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Delete balance shafts, and replace the manley valve srping kti with GSC 5040 or 5041 valvespring kit. The manley's are only 66lb seat, not really enough.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Michael, you are set and ready to go. You should rev out - not past much where car stops making power. If I were to guess, your peak power may be carried out to 8000rpm, so 8500rpm redline is likely a good place to stop.
Stock balance shafts are always being debated, as long as your tensioner and belts are new and great condition, there is no issue.

Accessories do suffer, AC, Power Steering Pump, Alternator, so be kind.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 12:59 PM
EvoM Guru

With a stock frame turbo, and a stock intake manifold (even if its ported), peak power is probably around 7500.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
With a stock frame turbo, and a stock intake manifold (even if its ported), peak power is probably around 7500.
Im not running stock frame its a garrett gtx3576r gen 2
Its not because i will run it at 8500 all the time mostly i Shift at 7800-7900 its only to run 100-200kmph with only 1 Shift i need 8300 to get to 200 i 4. Gear
Old Jun 5, 2020, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
Michael, you are set and ready to go. You should rev out - not past much where car stops making power. If I were to guess, your peak power may be carried out to 8000rpm, so 8500rpm redline is likely a good place to stop.
Stock balance shafts are always being debated, as long as your tensioner and belts are new and great condition, there is no issue.

Accessories do suffer, AC, Power Steering Pump, Alternator, so be kind.
All belts a relative New had been running 15000km
I just have been worried with the balance shafts and if the rotating assembly could take it
Old Jun 5, 2020, 01:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Michael Jensen
Im not running stock frame its a garrett gtx3576r gen 2
Its not because i will run it at 8500 all the time mostly i Shift at 7800-7900 its only to run 100-200kmph with only 1 Shift i need 8300 to get to 200 i 4. Gear
What turbo kit then?
Regardless, stock intake manifold means peak power around 7500..
Old Jun 5, 2020, 01:41 PM

What turbo kit then?
Regardless, stock intake manifold means peak power around 7500..
No kit custom.
Sorry forgot to mention running a Ams intake also
Old Jun 5, 2020, 01:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Anyways...

Upgrade the valve springs and delete the balance shafts.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
Delete balance shafts, and replace the manley valve srping kti with GSC 5040 or 5041 valvespring kit. The manley's are only 66lb seat, not really enough.
Not knocking your intent on recommending the GSC springs, but GSC had a number of spring failures that resulted in several reported damaged motors. You can read these old threads and in all cases that I remember GSC blamed it on the customer as install error. I personally experienced a broken GSC spring on my EVO just cruising down the highway and they only offered to replace the one spring. I was lucky it did not cause permanent engine damage, but many others were not so lucky. I ended up swapping to Kiggly and have been using ever since.

Old Jun 5, 2020, 06:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
Not knocking your intent on recommending the GSC springs, but GSC had a number of spring failures that resulted in several reported damaged motors. You can read these old threads and in all cases that I remember GSC blamed it on the customer as install error. I personally experienced a broken GSC spring on my EVO just cruising down the highway and they only offered to replace the one spring. I was lucky it did not cause permanent engine damage, but many others were not so lucky. I ended up swapping to Kiggly and have been using ever since.

That was many years and and has long been resolved. Kiggly is an excellent option but he doesn't need 105lbs seat pressure for S2's, probably 35-40psi boost, and 8500rpm.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Jun 5, 2020 at 06:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Abacus (Jun 5, 2020)
Old Jun 5, 2020, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

That was many years and and has long been resolved. Kiggly is an excellent option but he doesn't need 105lbs seat pressure for S2's, probably 35-40psi boost, and 8500rpm.
my argument is not with you, but your response is my point. There was an issue as we now know and several members lost their engines at significant expense. However, GSC did not take responsibility and blamed the customer sticking them with thousands of dollars of repair expenses and in my case, several hundred plus my time to replace the springs. Just understand if you have an issue with GSC parts this is their history with the EVO community.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 12:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
my argument is not with you, but your response is my point. There was an issue as we now know and several members lost their engines at significant expense. However, GSC did not take responsibility and blamed the customer sticking them with thousands of dollars of repair expenses and in my case, several hundred plus my time to replace the springs. Just understand if you have an issue with GSC parts this is their history with the EVO community.
It's a racing part. And their warranty clearly states their liability is only to cover their part (if they deem it a mfg defect) and like every other aftermarket part warranty it doesn't cover any collateral damage their (allegedly) failed part causes.

I'm 99% sure we've had this argument before. So I really don't care. GSC makes quality stuff and I'll happily support them and use their products.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

It's a racing part. And their warranty clearly states their liability is only to cover their part (if they deem it a mfg defect) and like every other aftermarket part warranty it doesn't cover any collateral damage their (allegedly) failed part causes.

I'm 99% sure we've had this argument before. So I really don't care. GSC makes quality stuff and I'll happily support them and use their products.
They make quality parts except for the parts of poor quality that kill engines. It is a race part, but it does not release them from liability if they know the parts are defective and don’t make a good faith effort to advise their customers. Additionally, it’s a matter of integrity within the EVO community.
The following users liked this post:
Nicolas (Jun 7, 2020)
Old Jun 7, 2020, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

To the OP, i would trust this advice. I did and i run GSC springs and almost 3 years later, no broken spring and no blown engine.

I cant ever imagine an aftermarket performance company ever having a "no questions asked yes we will replace your blown engine" policy. I understand there is many variables involved, but we all take a risk when modifying our engines period.

So again, to the OP, I would trust the experts and assume the risk involved. Otherwise we can all go buy a Hyundai with 10 year 100k mile warranty.

Quick Reply: 8500 rpm evo ix whats needed