Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Intercooler Spray Tank!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2004, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi,

Just to beat a horse a little...

I think water is better at cooling than windshield washer fluid. It will evaporate more easily and vaporization is endothermic and will draw the heat out of the intercooler, or something like that. Water also has a very high specific heat. For example, it can make your cooling system/radiator more efficient to run distilled water with water wetter rather than a mix of coolant and water. The water wetter lowers the freezing point and raises the bp since the temp range could freeze or boil straight water. On a side note, I've heard there are some issues with water wetter causing buildup in the cooling system of the evo, so be aware of that if you intend to use it.

With that being said, I wouldn't use water in the winter (if it gets below freezing), distilled or not, since it may freeze and since water expands when frozen (ice is LESS dense than water), it may break something...

I think the issue with tap water isn't so much rust, but also that tap water can have a lot of minerals dissolved in it that may leave deposits and build up over time. It's probably not that crucial for the intercooler sprayer, but I don't think you want that to happen in the radiator or cooling system...

Thoughts, corrections, or counterpoints?

FB
Old Sep 30, 2004, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so distilled water it is...people actually put winshield wiper fluid in the intercooler spray? Isnt it a WATER intercooler spray?
Old Sep 30, 2004, 09:52 PM

Word!

I use 90% isopropyl-alcohol in my intercooler sprayer, it works!
Old Oct 12, 2004, 10:30 AM

When should I use my spray, and for how long?