Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Exhaust ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2005, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust ticket

I was on my way to my friends house last night, doing the speed limit, when I saw a cop stopped in the opposite turn lane. It was late at night so I was the only car on the road, and when I drove by he immediately made a u-turn. He was following me closely and I figured he was running my plates and about to pull me over although I had no clue why. Sure enough the lights go on and I pulled over. When he came over to my car he told me that he pulled me over for having an aftermarket muffler that is too loud.
First of all, I was doing about 40 mph in 5th gear, so my exhaust couldnt have sounded all that loud, and when he gave me the ticket I was so pissed that I didnt even realize that he didnt test my exhaust at all. If they give you a ticket like this dont they have to test to see how loud it is? Its a "fix-it-ticket" so it will only cost like 20 bux, but just the concept of what he did pisses me off.
Then to cap it all off the dumb **** told me that loud exhausts are a pet peeve of his and that he is one of the only cops in my city that gives out these tickets.
Anyway, is this ticket valid or can I go and tell them what happened and get it dismissed...
**** the POlice!
Old Jan 4, 2005, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

yet another example of police with nothing else better to do than hassle others that aren't doing anything wrong. Pussies
Old Jan 4, 2005, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I mean how rediculous. I mean I respect cops and respect the job they have to do, but come on...go get someone that's at least speeding or something. And then brag about it to the kid as you give him a ticket? That's just not professional. But I think you're right, without testing it how can he tell? Did he put down an actual decibel number? If not, you may have something there.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KillaSweep
yet another example of police with nothing else better to do than hassle others that aren't doing anything wrong. Pussies
that's what cops do best
Old Jan 4, 2005, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does it matter more when the month is coming to an end?
Old Jan 4, 2005, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bluebanana23
does it matter more when the month is coming to an end?
Im not sure but this was at the beginning of the month.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

This one worries me too. My exhaust is not that loud, except at WOT. But I have a 4" exhuast tip and the car is set up to run rich, so it occassionally farts fire, which causes a lot of soot around the tailpipe of my white RS.

I have already been stopped once by the cops in SoCal. They did not give me a ticket, but they did insist on looking under the hood (that's another story, I initally resisted the search but gave in when they showed my the Vehicle Code section that applies). They told my my AEM ram air intake was Calif. legal and sent me on my way. It was X-mas day, any other day they might not have been so nice.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

he was bored...

just looking for some action that's all... 40mph in 5th gear, the exhaust isnt that loud.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

Well you live in flordia so i am not 100% sure but i would say it is the same as california. In CA police are not required to test exhuast. The legal law in CA is 90 decibles, which is not loud. Now i am a police officer and to tell you about how he is the only one that gives these tickets is unprofessional but not illegal or any reason for a judge to throw out a ticket. Check you dmv website and see what flordia vehicle code says about exhaust and noise. At at 40mph in 5th gear my car is way over 90 db and like i said 90 db is not loud when you are following a car. And for all those who said **** the police. Minus a few ***** cops because they do exist. Let me ask you a few questions, Who keeps you safe at night? Who do you call when you need help? Who protects your property? and How many cops have given their lives to protect your freedom. Grow up!
Old Jan 4, 2005, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

ive been pulld over like 3 times for that!! I have yet to be given a ticket thou. Im sure its just a matter of time...the funny thing is the first time my exhaust was stock!
Old Jan 4, 2005, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Smokin Evo
Let me ask you a few questions, Who keeps you safe at night? Who do you call when you need help? Who protects your property? and How many cops have given their lives to protect your freedom. Grow up!
Agreed
Old Jan 4, 2005, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Well, you are a cop, what are you going to say about your own kind??? Either you are part of the problem or part of the solution. If you are stopping people for going 10 or 15 mph over an underposted speed limit in perfectly safe conditions, YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM. You are just a tax collector.

Quit your job and go do something worthwhile.

I have never received any kind of protection from any cop in my life, only hassles. And I am a middle-aged professional, not some ricer boy on drugs.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Richard EVO
Well, you are a cop, what are you going to say about your own kind??? Either you are part of the problem or part of the solution. If you are stopping people for going 10 or 15 mph over an underposted speed limit in perfectly safe conditions, YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM. You are just a tax collector.

Quit your job and go do something worthwhile.

I have never received any kind of protection from any cop in my life, only hassles. And I am a middle-aged professional, not some ricer boy on drugs.
First i will start by saying you can have 14 mph in my zone but the 15 mph over is mine and you will get a ticket. I also let a lot of people go. Second, you have never received any protection from any cop okay. Lets see how about when you are at work or out is your house broken into, when you park is your car is it stolen, when you walked down the street are u mugged everyday, when was the last time your mother, wife, sister or girlfried been raped. Just a few ways that cops protect you behind the curtains. Why dont people break the law, a majority fear being caught so you might not see or talk to a cop everyday but you better believe you have received protection from us. Think outside the box!!!!!
Old Jan 4, 2005, 08:09 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Smokin Evo
First i will start by saying you can have 14 mph in my zone but the 15 mph over is mine and you will get a ticket. I also let a lot of people go. Second, you have never received any protection from any cop okay. Lets see how about when you are at work or out is your house broken into, when you park is your car is it stolen, when you walked down the street are u mugged everyday, when was the last time your mother, wife, sister or girlfried been raped. Just a few ways that cops protect you behind the curtains. Why dont people break the law, a majority fear being caught so you might not see or talk to a cop everyday but you better believe you have received protection from us. Think outside the box!!!!!
Well not everything is black and white like you describe. As far as I know 90dB (or whatever is in your state) is the noise measured in idle at specific RPM. You as a cop better be a god damn noise messuring machine if you're able to determine that. From what I know, no states have programs and trainings for police officers to be able to messure noise levels let alone determine it by just listening to it. The cop who writes a ticket for that is a plain good old fashioned bored @******* who's got nothing better to do with his life.
As far as some of the crimes you describe above, you guys are paid to do your job. Why would we have to be thankfull for what you're paid to do? Do you thank the trash people for taking out your garbage? Are you pissed when they leave the trash all over the place instead of picking it up? To me you guys are no different.
And what do you think would happen if every individual took the liberty to exercise justice himself? Can you say chaos? If I got mugged and went after the mugger myself?
How many cars do you guys recover? What are you doing to prevent them from being stolen in the first place? I happen to be signed on to NASIOC quite often. From what I've seen so far, you guys don't give a **** and there is NO prevention.
I think it's you who have to think outside the box. Your job should be to serve and protect not to harass and **** people off.

Last edited by SoR; Jan 4, 2005 at 08:12 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 08:30 PM

When municipalities use their police officer as glorified meter maids, it makes a lot of drivers hate the police and a lot of towns and villages hire cops to generate revenue.
Coming from a small business owner whose never had worse than a speeding ticket... The fact that many cops won't give you the time of day until you flash a PBA card or say who you are or who you know is not good PR and doesn't make anyone feel like the officer really cares about them or considers it his duty to serve and protect them.

Quick Reply: Exhaust ticket