Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Won't stop in snow

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2005, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Change your tires asap!
Old Jan 23, 2005, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
I went back out again this morning to run some errands, braking seemed better when i just pressed the pedal 1-2" at the most. Anything more then that and the brakes would bite too much causing the ABS to kick on.
I don't think the ABS algorithm is very good for snow/snow tires. The applied pressure reduction steps done by the ABS system might be tuned better for Advans on dry. Just give yourself plenty of room, no need to stop on a dime when there is a foot of snow on the ground.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

to be honest... i had no probs braking and accelerating in the snow... just have to be able to finese the pedals and steering... that was with the advans...

now, i have Blizzak WS-50's in stock size on the enkei's, and the car doesn't just do good in snow, it tears it a new @$$hole... braking, accelerating, snow, ice, slush... i don't have a fear in the world with this car... it is without a doubt, the most stable and predictable car i've ever driven in this horrid weather... and yes, I know the snow you were talking about, I live in PA too... NEPA actually... and got a ton of snow... was up to my side skirts in an unplowed lot and was drifting through the parking lot lamps with ease at 40mph... wish i had a digital camcorder, hehehe...

you just need to get some better tires, those WS-50's were $180 installed (even though they focked up all four of my wheels putting them on, scumbags, and they're fighting me about paying up to fix them... said it was Mitsu's fault for putting the wheel weights on bad... just so ppl know, FIRESTONE in Hazleton PA is ran by a scumbag manager and their higher ups suck too... matter of fact, i'll create a thread on them now...)

also, just learn how to use the throttle to help you turn and learn to use engine compression to help slow you down... once you learn that stuff, you'll be ok...
Old Jan 23, 2005, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
the Blizzaks are nice, i have the LM-22's no problem at all in the snow, very fun drivin
Old Jan 23, 2005, 11:39 PM

Handbrake can help...

The ABS in at least my '03 Evo is not well tuned for snow--e.g., it doesn't let you get to the "almost locked" state that is best for snow (not ice). Pressing the brake gently just short of ABS seems to help. Also, if you get into the ABS coming into a snowy intersection where you really need to stop, you can pull the hand-brake (which bypasses ABS), and shave a few feet off your stopping distances. Obviously only do this when going in a straight line to avoid rotating the car!
Old Jan 23, 2005, 11:42 PM
Former Vendor

just pull the fuse for abs, youll get alot more control. even with the advans it helps.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 11:59 PM
Evolving Member

How much did you guys pay for your winter tires (if you dont mind me asking). I just called a local tire shop today and they quoted me a price of $249 a tire I hope thats not an average price for snow tires.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Only one person gave the correct advise which is DOWNSHIFT when coming to a stop in snow. Even if hes got the stock tires on if you downshift when coming to a stop (rev matching of coarse) you will be fine.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dynofrk666
How much did you guys pay for your winter tires (if you dont mind me asking). I just called a local tire shop today and they quoted me a price of $249 a tire I hope thats not an average price for snow tires.
look up Blizzak WS-50's... got them mounted and balanced for $180 a piece... and the kicker, they threw in FREE scratches, gouges, and bending of the rim... get the blizzaks and don't go to Firestone and you'll be ok...