Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Burning rubber smell (not tires)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2014, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burning rubber smell (not tires)

So, we just had a 10 inch snow fall in MN here and it is the first time my car worked hard. Driving through 4-5 inches of snow when the roads are not plowed yet and when I do there is a strong burning smell, comes through the vents when heat is on and you can smell it from the outside. The deeper the snow, the stronger the burning smell. I've narrowed it down that the harder the all wheel drive works, the stronger the smell.

So is there something I should worry about? my car is a 2014 evo gsr manual transmission 5 speed. Has 2500 miles on it so far. This smell only happens when there is deep snow and the AWD has to work really hard. Is this a bad sign that my AWD system is gonna crap out? is this normal wear and tear?

Let me know guys, I don't want my differentials to blow and then dealer saying I abused it when all I did was drive to and from work in deep snow. I really hope Evo's don't have a Bull**** AWD that burns out if you drive in deep snow and put it to work.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

check accessory belt,
awd is fine.

Last edited by Iowa999; Feb 22, 2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

Your AWD isn't working any harder in the snow than a rainy day. Unless you're flying around corners and stuff that is...

Do you hear any rubbing? I would definitely inspect your accessory belt though.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 13 gsr that had the same thing happen to it. I assumed it was engine and exhaust melting all the crap sticking to the under side of the car.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by ChUt26
Your AWD isn't working any harder in the snow than a rainy day. Unless you're flying around corners and stuff that is...

Do you hear any rubbing? I would definitely inspect your accessory belt though.
it is not accessory belt. I'm pretty sure now its the clutch. deep snow = more strain on clutch.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by jgevox
I have a 13 gsr that had the same thing happen to it. I assumed it was engine and exhaust melting all the crap sticking to the under side of the car.
I'm thinking deep snow = more strain/stress on clutch, because it really does smell like burning clutch.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 01:06 AM
Evolving Member

Shouldn't be any harder on the clutch. If clutch is burning in snow then my bet is drivers error.

Either stuff on exhaust manifold or if your spinning tires a lot that can also cause that smell.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 02:21 AM

Check the ayc fluid in the trunk
Old Feb 22, 2014, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
First, the AWD system works a heck of lot harder when grip is low. The indicator on the dash might not be showing more bars than usual, but that same amount of clamping is now transferring lots more torque. When none of the tires are slipping, then - even if active - the ACD, for example, isn't moving any torque around. But as soon as there is some slip at one end, that same amount of clamping might be moving a lot of torque from one end to the other.

Second, folks should be careful to be clear which clutch they are talking about in these discussions. The statements "the clutch is working a lot harder when grip is low" and "the clutch doesn't work any harder with low grip" are both correct, but only if they refer to different clutches. The clutch between the engine and tranny (i.e., the one most people think of as "the clutch") doesn't work harder in snow, but the clutch that is the ACD's limited-slip device works a heck of a lot harder (see first paragraph).

My first guess as to the source of the smell is that it's the ACD's clutch. I would have said this with high confidence a few months ago. But I've been driving all winter with no ACD/AYC pump and I get a smell after beating on the car. Maybe the small amount of friction you get without any pressure is the cause and it's still the ACD or one of the AYC clutches, but I have less confidence in this guess. Same goes for it being rear brakes from the AYC helper, since I always switch the ASC to OFF-OFF and still get the smell after a hard drive on snow, ice, or gravel.

I agree with the suggestion of checking the fluid. Not just for level, but to see if it's brown.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Iowa999
First, the AWD system works a heck of lot harder when grip is low. The indicator on the dash might not be showing more bars than usual, but that same amount of clamping is now transferring lots more torque. When none of the tires are slipping, then - even if active - the ACD, for example, isn't moving any torque around. But as soon as there is some slip at one end, that same amount of clamping might be moving a lot of torque from one end to the other.

Second, folks should be careful to be clear which clutch they are talking about in these discussions. The statements "the clutch is working a lot harder when grip is low" and "the clutch doesn't work any harder with low grip" are both correct, but only if they refer to different clutches. The clutch between the engine and tranny (i.e., the one most people think of as "the clutch") doesn't work harder in snow, but the clutch that is the ACD's limited-slip device works a heck of a lot harder (see first paragraph).

My first guess as to the source of the smell is that it's the ACD's clutch. I would have said this with high confidence a few months ago. But I've been driving all winter with no ACD/AYC pump and I get a smell after beating on the car. Maybe the small amount of friction you get without any pressure is the cause and it's still the ACD or one of the AYC clutches, but I have less confidence in this guess. Same goes for it being rear brakes from the AYC helper, since I always switch the ASC to OFF-OFF and still get the smell after a hard drive on snow, ice, or gravel.

I agree with the suggestion of checking the fluid. Not just for level, but to see if it's brown.
thanks for the input, you have been helpful. fluid is fine.

I was wondering, do you also get a strong burning rubber smell when you go up a driveway with at least 5 inches of snow? I tried to go up my driveway when it wasn;t plowed, car struggled a bit, then got up, but as I was going up, a strong burning rubber smell arises. this is what I am wondering, if this is normal or damaging something. I can drive well, so I know its not driver error.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I'm guessing clutch. Since you said that the car had trouble getting up the driveway at first, I'm assuming you were slipping the clutch a good bit.. Causing the burning clutch smell..

An Evo clutch takes a little getting use to..
Old Feb 23, 2014, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If by "struggled" you mean that you had wheel slip and just stayed on the gas, then I'd say ACD clutch. If you were slipping the engine/tranny clutch while fighting your way up the driveway, then it might be that one, instead. If you didn't turn the ASC off, some of it also could be brakes.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:17 PM

It sounds to me like your slipping your clutch trying to get through the snow or up your driveway so you dont stall the car. It will give a burning smell. Ive done it a couple times this winter with all the crazy amounts of snow we have gotten in minnesota this winter.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 11:53 PM

You might wanna try turning the whatever its called to off off (hold for a couple seconds) that is how I got up a very steep hill in at least 8 inches of snow in my winter tires. I stalled the car twice before hand, and it was acting really odd. Could have been me though, it was really early in the morning and first time I was out in snow with winter tires trying to push the limits. But still after I turned it to off off, I was good to go.

The evo really is a beast in the snow, surprised me. Almost makes me believe the stories of people driving their evo in more than a 18 in of snow with the right tires.

Once I got onto road which only had 4 in I put it back on snow setting and had no trouble. Oddly enough i did burn my clutch for the first time. I tried to do a u turn, but there was snow blocking the lane I didn't see so I had to put it in reverse and then floored it and slipped/feathered it. It smelled pretty bad. I then smelled some burning a day later randomly, but no slipping. Though I put a hot spot on it but, that was weeks ago and absolutely no slipping since.

Now I did some donuts with about 4 inches or so of snow again acs was off off, and eventually I did smell my new lm60s burning a little. Strange how the snow brings out a number of burning smells.