Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Idea: Put together a petition for a 2.4 (4g64)motor

Old May 30, 2003, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 4g64 in my 91 awd DSM with a 60-1 stage 3 wheel .82ar exhaust housing, Haltech all the supporting goodies. Let me tell you this motor ROCKS. I was literally shocked at how much more torque this motor makes over the 63 I had in their. It spools the turbo so much faster now its not even funny. Its like a 16g +150hp. I am getting 30lbs of boost before 4k. How can you argue with that?

As for drivetrain breakage its all about how you drive. My mechanic has the 13th fastest DSM in the country 10.6@136 not nitrous on Kuhmo road race tires. Other than refreshing the bearings, syncros, and clutch disk every season he hasn’t had ANY drivetrain issues. The 64 makes enough power down low that with drag radials or et streets you could break stuff if you didn’t slip the clutch enough. But breakage really only applies to the guys out there every Friday at grudge nights or guys who like to do 4 wheel burnouts out of every traffic light. Most of the people that own EVOs would just enjoy all that extra power on the street. I particularly enjoy how much more power this car makes on pump gas over the 63.

MrBubbler: You mentioned Magnus. That is where I got my motor from. Right now they are in the process of making an even nicer 64 setup with longer rods and even nicer pistons to get the R/S ratio just right.
Old May 30, 2003, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by GPTourer
Hmm, I was under the impression that the 2G head flowed better. At least it serves as the basis for Extreme Motorsports racing head that they used on their 8 second 1G Talon. Maybe the 1g flows better in stock form, but the 2G is best for heavy porting and modification?
That could be a whole tech article in itself and should be talked about by much smarter people that me. The 1g heads have much bigger ports but this affects port velocity. For MOST DSMs a lightly ported 2g head makes better sense. In a 2.4L with a 1g head like my setup I think port velocity might not be AS important as overall flow as it is on the 2L. But as I said. What do I know.
Old May 30, 2003, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by gtr
Why not use the already produced 2.5L twin turbo V6 galent engine Perhaps bore to a 2.7L?
Dunno if anyone's responded to this yet (I haven't read the whole thread), but if you slap a V6 into the Evo's engine bay, I tend to think it would negatively affect the excellent handling characteristics of the car.

Plenty of power can be found with the current engine or with a slightly larger 4-pot motor.

Last edited by Max Rebo; May 30, 2003 at 05:08 PM.
Old May 30, 2003, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

Double post... :P
Old May 30, 2003, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

2.0 or bust!
Old May 31, 2003, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I still don't think it is necessary to toss out the '63 and go for more displacement. Perhaps if Mitsu offered a twinscroll 18G upgrade, or even a 20G, they need for power would be quenched. Also, now that DCX is has more controlling interest in Mitsu maybe a wholly new designed from the ground up 2.0L could be designed that still meets the classic regulations but gives you guys the torque you think your missing.

I still think going bigger displacement in America just because you can is a cop out. I personally think Subaru should be emabrrassed that they waited on Mitsu, brought out a 2.5L motor all those electro goodies and still produced a car that finsihed second in every magazine comparo I've read to Mitsu's very first offering in this market.

We're not talking drag racing here, we don't want a nose heavy twin turbo V6 in there, or a 2.7L. The light nimble car with the excellent chassis is what won the tests, not 300+hp and DCC/mivec yadda yadda yadda.
Old May 31, 2003, 12:10 PM
MP5
In Timeout

Originally posted by Claudius

How is that a question? Did you just come up with that? The Evo gearbox is one of the strongest, if not the strongest production gearboxes in the whole wide world.

All of the above. Not sure about how much and Evo transmission weighs compared to a Subaru one, but it would be interesting to know.

About 1.5 bars, 22-23 PSI.

I didnt get a JUN stroker kit because it increased the capacity by 180cc, I got it because I wanted a forged crankshaft to be able to handle future upgrades. Stock cranks break at around 450 ft/lbs and 450 bhp approximately. The slightly increased capacity has a very welcomed mid range improvement to it, but the primary aim was the strengthening of the internals.

I am looking forward to finding out at around what power levels the Subaru crankshaft breaks (if nothing else lets go before that)
You provide lots of great info claudius but sometimes I really wonder WTH your talking about. The subaru has NEVER has crankshaft issues are we forgetting that it is half the length of the mitsu?