Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

installing goodridge brake lines (pics)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2005, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing goodridge brake lines (pics)

just changed the brakelines on my car today... i replaced the stock with the goodridge lines... i tried looking up a how to on the instalation but wasnt able to find it... not that the process was hard but just in case someone might need reassurance along the way on their car here r some pics off of mine...

lift the car and remove the wheels... then find the connecting brakeline to the calipper and remove the bolt

follow the line up to the hard pipe where the stock rubber hose connects and unscrew the nut from the hose and remove the clip holding the hose down

replace the stock line with the steal braded goodridge line and bolt back tougether

make sure the line feeding to the calipper passes inbetween the guid i had to go back and fix that

the fron works in a similar way but there is 1 extra clip holding the line down

replace with goodridge line and bolt back up

ok ur almost done now bleed the brakes and replace the fluid and take it out for a test drive in a parking lot or somewhere safe... i would like to point out that im not a tech i did this with my car and it worked out ok so if there is anyone out there that might have any suggestions for these lines pls feel free to correct me... thank u for interest and hope u enjoy ur new goodridge lines

Last edited by navypaul; Apr 30, 2005 at 06:29 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

I think this link should be read before considering purchasing
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...odridge+brakes
Old Apr 30, 2005, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

I think that the problem with the Goodridge SS lines are fixed now.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SR20DE-T
I think that the problem with the Goodridge SS lines are fixed now.

yup they've been revised, if you look on the pics third from top they have the 90 degree bend just like the stockers but still slightly longer though..
Old May 1, 2005, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
joe250 has a how to on this... dunno how you missed it... did you search goodridge? cuz i don't think he labeled it as that... just brake line install.
Old May 1, 2005, 12:58 AM
Evolving Member

yeah i did a search on goodridge install but nothing came up :[ oh well one more can't hurt ;P
Old May 1, 2005, 08:09 AM
Former Sponsor

nice job, any noticeable difference, did you bleed each caliper or did you wait until they were all installed and then do the bleed?
Old May 1, 2005, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

no i bleed all of them after the install and yes there is a noticeble difference... now one thing i will say do not mistake this mod for something that will make the car brake better this is a mod that pertains stricktly to the feel for the driver... it helps the driver get a better feedback and respons on the brakes but in essance it does nothing for the car it only helps u to b more precise
Old May 1, 2005, 05:52 PM
Former Sponsor

It is like shifter bushings, it just makes the bullet more precise!
Old Jun 26, 2014, 01:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bump for an old thread...

Does anyone have pics of the rears installed? I followed the directions from this thread and my rears (the updated non-defective one as per the part #) slightly touch the bottom of the rear toe arm, above the axle. There is some give for the brake line to move/bend, so it is not like it is fully outstretched being rubbed on. Is this something to worry about and did I install correctly?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 09:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
I'm in the middle of a Goodridge brake line install and seem to be having an issue that no one else has reported - the diameter of the anchor fitting that secures the brake line to the body of the car is just slightly too large to fit into the hole on the body. The anchor is about 0.1-0.2 mm too large. I had to grind the holes with a dremel tool. Then I had to repaint for rust prevention. Kind of a PITA. Fortunately, it was only for the front brake lines. The rear brake lines just barely fit.

I'll say though that the brake lines are otherwise excellent quality. All metal parts are cadmium or zinc plated, and the SS lines have a rubber coating to prevent abrasion.

Last edited by mrfred; Jul 5, 2017 at 10:58 PM.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
I'm in the middle of a Goodridge brake line install and seem to be having an issue that no one else has reported - the diameter of the anchor fitting that secures the brake line to the body of the car is just slightly too large to fit into the hole on the body. The anchor is about 0.1-2 mm too large. I had to grind the holes with a dremel tool. Then I had to repaint for rust prevention. Kind of a PITA. Fortunately, it was only for the front brake lines. The rear brake lines just barely fit.

I'll say though that the brake lines are otherwise excellent quality. All metal parts are cadmium or zinc plated, and the SS lines have a rubber coating to prevent abrasion.
I gave up, I temporarily installed the clips upside down in order to get them to fit, and after a year I stopped even trying to contact Goodridge about it. It's weird and I wish the fit was right, but after like 10,000 miles they haven't fallen off, so whatever.

Last thing they sent me was:

"I've spoken with our team in the US and they've suggested you try rotating the fitting a little sothe flat sides line up with the tab - if that doesn't work then you night have to modify the tabs a little."
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Name User
I gave up, I temporarily installed the clips upside down in order to get them to fit, and after a year I stopped even trying to contact Goodridge about it. It's weird and I wish the fit was right, but after like 10,000 miles they haven't fallen off, so whatever.

Last thing they sent me was:

"I've spoken with our team in the US and they've suggested you try rotating the fitting a little sothe flat sides line up with the tab - if that doesn't work then you night have to modify the tabs a little."
So I'm not the only one. I called Goodridge today to let them know the issue. The person seemed reasonably interested and wanted to know the details, but I suspect that nothing will come of it. Its too bad because its an otherwise very nice product.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Somewhere on these forums I think I saw someone say that half way through the 2006 model year the brake line brackets were slightly updated. I don't know if this is true, but I was tearing my hair out, thinking how is it that I'm the only person on earth stupid enough to screw this up.

I know the upside down clips are wrong, but so far I'm not dead.

Here you can see these notches at the bottom of the mounting tab that prevent the brakeline from being pushed up far enough. (Clips not pictured)

installing goodridge brake lines (pics)-xwjwe75.jpg
Old Jul 6, 2017, 09:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Name User
Somewhere on these forums I think I saw someone say that half way through the 2006 model year the brake line brackets were slightly updated. I don't know if this is true, but I was tearing my hair out, thinking how is it that I'm the only person on earth stupid enough to screw this up.

I know the upside down clips are wrong, but so far I'm not dead.

Here you can see these notches at the bottom of the mounting tab that prevent the brakeline from being pushed up far enough. (Clips not pictured)

So the brackets on the Evo were updated? I did see a post where someone said the brake line for the Evo 9 was updated at some point. Maybe they meant the bracket? Or maybe the brake line and the bracket were both updated at the same time.

Anyhow, if you have the gumption, its straightforward to open up the hole slightly with a dremel tool. One of the grinding wheels that came with my dremel kit just barely fits in the hole, and running it around the hole a few times gets the job done. The bigger pain is painting and waiting for it to dry.