Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HID upgrade problems!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2005, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HID upgrade problems!?!?!?!

so i purchased a set of upgrade 6000k bulbs from a vendor on here and have had problems ever since. the first set would always flicker and finally went out on one side. so i put another set in and they flicker just as much. i have checked the connections and they seem to be working fine. i have contacted the vendor and havent heard anything in a month. i emailed the vendor that i had one go out and was pulled over by CHP because of my light. one side had finally went out and i had another 10-15 minutes to drive. he looked over the car and i BS with him for awhile and he let me go. i have not driven my evo at night since. this is my second set from the same vendor. i also upgraded a set in my wifes honda accord and they are fine. anyone else having problems when they upgrade?? i hate to have to tear the front of the car off again. it is just a pain in my azz.

so it has come to this-posting on the forums to see if the vendor will react, since he is not responding to PMs. i will be civil about this issue-and he knows i am-as well as should he. i offered to return them and there was no reply. i offered to exchange them for another set or another brand and he forgot about me. i could have spent my money elsewhere, but wanted to support the evom members.

sorry for rambling just irritated-not mad yet-at the situation. thank you for reading.

Last edited by badhabit90; May 18, 2005 at 06:27 PM.
Old May 18, 2005, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

i just got my set too, i have not installed them yet. pm me the vendors name.
Old May 18, 2005, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

make sure...i know you said you checked but make sure they are grounded properly, even if it means having its own grounding point...can you actually tell us whats going out? bulb, ballast, igniter? please be more specific
Old May 18, 2005, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

welp, i can tell you this-i put the stock bulbs back in before the second set and not one problem. i put the second set in and have the same problems only it took longer for them to develop. the only thing that changed the equation was a set of bulbs. i can refire the ballasts and they will work only for a little while. it is just one side at a time not both. so i switched the bulbs and it followed it to the other side.
Old May 18, 2005, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

which brand did you get? even if you installed them improperly, you should still get responses from the place you bought it from. i would report them to the better business bureau.
Old May 18, 2005, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

so...its the bulb then? diagnose it....change things around...i acutually spliced mywires then soldered them together. instead of just plugging it in
Old May 18, 2005, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

i dont feel you should be cutting the ballast wire on a $30k car just to get the bastard of a light to work and then have to mod it to get it to work right. i did diagnose it BTW...that is how i knew it was the light. changed sides-same effect different side.
Old May 18, 2005, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

hmmm i mis-interpreted your post then, i thought you were going from a non-hid headlight...sorry...i would say that it they are incompatible bulbs...
Old May 18, 2005, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

not a problem. it is in my evo8 2004. all i did was upgrade from the stock 4150k bulbs to the 6000k bulbs and now i have "light off" problems with the bulbs. light off i mean the firing of the ballasts. you have to disassemble the whole front end of the evo to get to the low beam bulbs. PITA....
Old May 18, 2005, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

wow...disassemble the whole front end?...why not just take the lights out? im sure there is an easier way
Old May 18, 2005, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

the first set was worse. they didnt even work one week and i had to replace them. luckily though, he sent me two sets of d2s when i ordered one set of d2s and one set for a 9006 set up for another car. so i put the other set in and set back the bad ones and he corrected my order for the 9006 set that i put in my wifes other car the honda accord. they have been working flawlessly since then.
Old May 18, 2005, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

all i really would like is another set of bulbs that work and i dont have to take the front end apart or worry about getting pulled over again by the same CHP officer since he patrols this area.

unfortunately you have to take the whole bumper, undertray, and such apart to remove the headlight assembly to get to the back of the bulb cover. the cover is tucked away in the fender reinforcement area and you cant get your hand in there-even if you go through the fenderwell.

Last edited by badhabit90; May 18, 2005 at 07:22 PM.
Old May 18, 2005, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Old May 18, 2005, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

i dont understand why mitsubishi made it the way so we have to take the bumper off so we can get the bulbs off
Old May 19, 2005, 01:58 AM
Evolved Member

I purchased 8000k's and both of them completely melted themselves, and the connectors from the ballast. Both ballasts needed to be replaced along with me putting the stock baulbs back in... over $1000- worth of damage in under a week. along with taking off the bumper a good 10 times. don't buy upgraded hid's...

Quick Reply: HID upgrade problems!?!?!?!