Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

original vs. replicas

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2005, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
original vs. replicas

well what do u guys think is better, original aftermarket body kits or replicas? if replicas works the same as originals and they' re cheaper why not? but the same time u lose your pride lookin at your beautiful evo knowing u put a fake after market **** in there. so what do u think? military pple don't get paid as much as u think. my evo is fast but i also want it to look good. i dont want to swollow my pride for my dream car and i feel disgusted thinkin on puttin fake ****. help me out

Last edited by SushiSamurai; Aug 31, 2005 at 01:01 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SushiSamurai
well what do u guys think is better, original aftermarket body kits or replicas? if replicas works the same as originals and they' re cheaper why not? but the same time u lose your pride lookin at your beautiful evo knowing u put a fake after market **** in there. so what do u think? military pple don't get paid as much as u think. my evo is fast but i also want it to look good. i dont want to swollow my pride for my dream car and i feel disgusted thinkin on puttin fake ****. help me out
The moment you put ANY body kit on your Evo, you've already lost your pride, so who cares if it's authentic or not?
Old Aug 31, 2005, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Personally and i am speaking from my personal theory. I would much rather dish out that extra money and get the authentic. Replicas never fit as well as the authentic, Plus your paying for a quality name in most cases. Example C-west body kits. C-west is a very credible name and really shows "baller" status. And if you do some searching many who buy those 299 do luck like lips end up running over thier own lips while driving.

Its just me but i say get the authentic items.

Steve
GnV Motorsports
Old Aug 31, 2005, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's up to you to decide what your savings:quality ratio is. generally i'd go with the authentic bits just because i'd rather have the fitment, quality and durability... but then again, perhaps the only thing i'd ever get for the evo is a do-luck or carbing lip which is ridiculously expensive.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

i have seen nonauthentic (there thats an optimistic way of describing them) body kits that paint does not like to stick to or discolors. I am not a paint guy but i'm asuming this is because of the material they're made of. get fiberglass from a reputable manufacturer if you go the body kit route. Urethane bumpers are the worst thing invented, they are flexible yes but car paint is not flexible. I have seen tons of urethane bumper with crackled or peeling paint. the paint doesn't like to stick to urethane. talk to a body shop tech, i'm sure he'll change your mind about body kits. my friends dad owns a body shop so he's enlightened me a bit about body paint. its a tricky thing: the same paint from the same can can be different colors if sprayed on different days because paint changes with temperature and humidity. basically you will never get your kit to exactly match your stock parts. most of the guys with the good looking kits/cars had their entire car resprayed. thats expensive in itself. IMO body kits are way too expensive in the long run if you want it done right. just get a carbon lip, its different and you won't have to paint it.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
there are many instances where the replicas actually fit better than the originals. one of these is aspec's garage hrs fiberglass fenders. the original garage hrs fenders are crap... you can even tell in the pictures that they took themselves.

there are numerous lips on the market that are just fine.

aspec is coming out with a replica gramlight bumper that is a perfect fit, i've seen it in person, every line and bolt hole is the same.

on the other hand there are TONS of body parts that don't fit well at all... and it takes big money for body shops to fix this... so... i say you shop around the smart way, buy from people that have it on their own car. or buy what people ALREADY have on their car. that is the only way to go. find out where they got it from and buy that way.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
The moment you put ANY body kit on your Evo, you've already lost your pride, so who cares if it's authentic or not?
You're joking, right? ...wow. To each his own, I guess.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AWDrift07
i have seen nonauthentic (there thats an optimistic way of describing them) body kits that paint does not like to stick to or discolors. I am not a paint guy but i'm asuming this is because of the material they're made of. get fiberglass from a reputable manufacturer if you go the body kit route. Urethane bumpers are the worst thing invented, they are flexible yes but car paint is not flexible. I have seen tons of urethane bumper with crackled or peeling paint. the paint doesn't like to stick to urethane. talk to a body shop tech, i'm sure he'll change your mind about body kits. my friends dad owns a body shop so he's enlightened me a bit about body paint. its a tricky thing: the same paint from the same can can be different colors if sprayed on different days because paint changes with temperature and humidity. basically you will never get your kit to exactly match your stock parts. most of the guys with the good looking kits/cars had their entire car resprayed. thats expensive in itself. IMO body kits are way too expensive in the long run if you want it done right. just get a carbon lip, its different and you won't have to paint it.

she's CRAZY!
Old Aug 31, 2005, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Speaking from personal experience (see sig) I'll never ever ever ever ever ever ever do a full body kit on anything I will be driving with any regularity.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Hey that's your opinion and it happens to be mines too. I think body kits, authentic or not are so rice. But hey, as I say, that's my opinion and no one elses.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless its a JDM EVO 7 or 9 kit. They dont look 2 bad. The EVO 7 kit looks Nasty!