Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Yet another mysterious clunk

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2005, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet another mysterious clunk

Not to add to the myriad of clunk complaints, but this one has me scratching my head. I have a 2003 EVO with the hotchkis rear sway bar, including the new brackets. I installed it about a month ago and two weeks ago I began hearing a clunking noise coming from the right rear of the car. It only occurs when I go over bumps and it sounds like there is a tool bouncing around in the trunk (which there is not). I have checked all the sway bar mounting points and they are tight, there are also no signs that it is rubbing against anything.

I am wondering if it the exhaust is loose and is hitting the bottom of the trunk, but when I try to move it around it seems ok. The reason for my concern is because the previous owner had removed the stock muffler for a straight pipe and I have no idea if the parts I removed to install the sway bar were the stock pieces. I am suspicious about a long screw that is used to attach the muffler to the rear-most rubber isolation bracket that holds the muffler up. It seems to come loose quite easily. Does anyone know how this is supposed to be assembled?

In the alternative, could there be another source?

Thanks!
Old Oct 14, 2005, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Did you check you spare tire area for anything that may have come loose?

Last edited by IEXCELR8; Oct 14, 2005 at 04:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old Oct 16, 2005, 10:24 AM

Excel, that's the first place I looked, but maybe I will try taking everything out and put it back in.

Thanks, I will follow-up with the results.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

It sounds like your muffler pipe is hitting either the rear axle or crossmember. Try shaking your muffler (when cold of course) by hand and see if it comes in contact with anything. It could be one of the muffler hangars came off.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

i too have the hotchkis rear swaybar and i have broken the left rear mount twice. The two "L" brackets that hold the sway bar to the car.

The noise you are describing sounds like you may have broken a mount and the sway bar is hitting either the a arms of the bottom of the car.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 09:07 PM

Just to close the loop, and admit my own stupidity, it turned out to be a failure to "nut and bolt" the whole installation. A few of the mounting bolts were not completely tight. The Hotchkis bar had the new mounts thanks to a quick response and replacement by Hotchkis after I noticed they were thin when I opened the box.

Thanks to all who offerred advice.