Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO GT-A, Preview of the US EVO?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2002, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think that if they will bring over the GTA... shouldnt they start showing it at the auto shows in america? instead of the gsR model?

they wouldnt just not show it and sell it.. they have to debut it

we will see at the 2002 NY AUTO SHOW
Old Feb 10, 2002, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Lets be realistic. Mitsubishi wants to sell cars. The EVO VII GSR and RS are too hard edged for the general public. I am sure everyone on this list would love a GSR, but we are a very very verry small minority of the actual buyers. Keep in mind, Mitsubish already tried selling a 4 cyl turbo 4 door sedan (Galant VR4) in the early 90's. This car was high tech in its day. It was not a sucess in the US market by any means. It will be interesting to see how the GT-A will sell against its target market. If it does well enough, maybe Mitsubishi would be encouraged to bring over a harder edged GSR in limited numbers for 2004.

Matt
Old Feb 10, 2002, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

but the evo is not being brought over here for the masses! its is being brought over here in limited numbers for those pf us who are the minority.

why cant you atleast keep your hopes up! you are hurting my feelings saying they wont bring the gsr over.
Old Feb 10, 2002, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Turbo442
Lets be realistic. Mitsubishi wants to sell cars. The EVO VII GSR and RS are too hard edged for the general public. I am sure everyone on this list would love a GSR, but we are a very very verry small minority of the actual buyers. Keep in mind, Mitsubish already tried selling a 4 cyl turbo 4 door sedan (Galant VR4) in the early 90's. This car was high tech in its day. It was not a sucess in the US market by any means. It will be interesting to see how the GT-A will sell against its target market. If it does well enough, maybe Mitsubishi would be encouraged to bring over a harder edged GSR in limited numbers for 2004.

Matt
Well I think the GVR4 didn't sell because 1) It looked like a Frigidaire on wheels (Road and Track comment) 2) There was no market for high performance sport COMPACT cars (Only supras and 300Zs which died later anyways. Riced civics didn't occur until 95, GVR4 came out in 91) and 3) high school kidz were lucky just to get anything back then. Mitsu reps constantly say they want to keep the EVO as close to the original as possible, the press release states hood vents, large wing, brembos and recaros and besides, the regular Lancer is for the mainstream audience. They know we're a small market but they're gonna hit it nonetheless. I think we'll be ok. my 2 cents
Old Feb 10, 2002, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

EVOL,

I am sorry to hurt your feelings. I would love to see the GSR as well. Actually, I had a DREAM last night that I rented a yellow GSR from AVIS! Not my color preference of choice, but an EVO none the less. I was surprised that it seemed a bit down on power to my Talon, but hell my Talon runs 25 psi with alcohol injection and 100 unleaded. The GSR was a 5 speed. It handled sweet and felt nice and tight. I woke up and realized it was a dream and was pissed.

If the GT-A is the US model, is it possible they can bring it here with the 5 speed manual as well...maybe that would just be a GSR?

Does anyone know what the turbo specs are on the GTA? It looks like it is using a slightly smaller turbo from the HP specs.

Lets hope Mitsubishi does not consider the tiptronic shifting as a an excuse not to bring over a manual.

Mitshbishi has always offered a manual and an automatic options in the past.
Old Feb 10, 2002, 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

Dont worry people, we will not have to put up with the GTA. Ive got my own little birdies whose info I keep to myself because I know just how much everyone would believe me anyway But to be factual, remember, this car will have to compete directly with the STi. I dont think the GTA is in the same boat necessarily.

Nick
Old Feb 13, 2002, 12:00 AM

http://www.apexjapan.com/news/evo_gta/evogt_a.html
Old Feb 13, 2002, 12:21 AM
Evolving Member

I am getting tired of hearing about 17" brakes. Can you imagine how much a 17" rotor would weigh if it existed? I bet it would be over 50 pounds! They would have to mount it inbord just for clearence. Actually, my Nov 2001 Sport compact car shows the EVO VI GSR with 12.1" fronts and 9.5" rears, both vented with Brembo calipers. Thats really not that big for a 3000 pound car.
Old Feb 13, 2002, 12:44 AM
Evolving Member

What is your problem? Do you not believe what Mitsubishi themselves has listed at stock for the EVO?

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/PDF-E/evo7.pdf
Old Feb 13, 2002, 01:33 AM
Evolving Member

First of all when I say 17" brakes, I am refering to the rotor diameter. If anyone knows of a different way to measure brakes, please let me know! Explain to me how a 17" brake rotor will fit inside a 17" wheel? Hell, any rotor over 13" will not fit inside a 17" wheel!

Do I think Mistubishi does not know what they are talking about when it comes to brake specs??? Its obvious they dont! At least their press people dont know what is going on!

Take a look at these pics of a Stock EVO VII GSR.
Front wheel...the stock 17" rim
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/r...frontwheel.jpg

Rear wheel...the stock 17" rim
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/r...-rearwheel.jpg

Are you still going to tell me those are 17" and 16" brakes?

Other cool detail pics of an EVOVII imported into the US sitting in Road Race Engineerings shop.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/rreimages/evo7/
Old Feb 13, 2002, 02:10 AM

I have a bad feeling were going to be shafted

I have a bad feeling we are going to be shafted......as usual. Stuff like this that seems too good to be true seems to always be "Too Good to Be True". I am really hoping that the GT-A does not show up over here....when they said the HP will be arround 250 - that has GT-A written all over it......maybe we will get the GSR also - what I think will likely happen is this (based on rumors and gut feeling): The dealerships get flodded with GT-As and each only get 1 GSR.....whick will only fall into the hands of the RICH GUY who is willing to pay the JACKED up price......Ford dealerships did this with the Cobra R in 1993, 1995, and 2000 ( and these cars were limited production 250-300 units per year). So I expect the GREEDY Mitsubishi Dealership BASTARDS will do the same with our 1 per dealership GSR EVO 7s.
The Outlaw
"Always on the run"
Old Feb 15, 2002, 08:54 PM

Yeah its quite a **** off Mitsubishi keeps reporting the disc rotor size that way...

Speaking of massive rotors.... dosen't the Porsche GT2 have like 13+" rotors in 17" tires (or was that 18... oh well)
Old Feb 17, 2002, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Subaru reports it the same way in Japan 16" and 17" brakes.
Old Feb 17, 2002, 09:00 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

I think they go by what size rims would fit with the car. Not the actual size of the brake.
Old Feb 18, 2002, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

A few things:

The Japanese automotive manufacturers in general refer to minimum wheel size that fits over the brakes/rotors when they list them in their spec pages. Therefore, the 17" rotors on the Evo VII requires 17" wheels. The 15" rotors on the bare bones RS will allow 15" rims - not very useful, but then you are buying the RS to strip everything out anyways.

The Evo VII GT-A was made/marketed for the Japanese Domestic Market, first and foremost. A bit of recent history here - the biggest selling car in the segment that the Evo VII competes in is the Legacy B4, 75% of said sales for the B4 being Automatics (the HORROR!!). While sad, 'tis true, and MMC needed something to compete with. The Galant VR4 has become too "upclass" to go against the B4, there is too large of a price difference, it's too heavy, and too big. Therefore the rather popular Evo has had an automatic grafted onto it.

The english .pdf though does indicate that it will reach the european and asian markets that the Evo VII GSR/RS has already been marketed in. It doesn't mean that this GT-A is the American version, however.

Paul Hansen

Quick Reply: EVO GT-A, Preview of the US EVO?