Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Install DEFI BF gauges on IX MR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Install DEFI BF gauges on IX MR

I have searched the forums but I am not able to find answer to my questions specifically on IX MR. Hope you guys can help.
Since the MRs have stock gauges installed, there should be an existing hole through the firewall for wires/sensors, where is it? In front of the passenger side? The pictures i saw in some other posts, the VIII looks different.
Does the existing connections or sensors of the stock gauges in a MR work for the DEFI BF gauges? If not, is there directions to install boost, oil pressure/temp gauges on MRs?
thank you very much.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:51 AM
JTB
Evolved Member

You will need to use the senders from the Defis.
The chassis has not changed so the hole in the passenger side behind the strut tower will still be there (Look for Defi boost gauge install directions in the how to section)

There should also be 2 plugs near the oil filter that are appropriate for the oil pressure sender and the oil temp sender. I would be very surprised if they changed this between the VIII and the IX but cannot speak with complete certainty. I used the one closest to the filter for oil pressure.

The threads on the Defi senders and the engine are 1/8 BSPT and 3/8 BSPT accordingly so you will need an adapter.

Good luck,
Old Jan 9, 2006, 06:00 PM

thanks. The instructions for boost gauge installation show that we need to drill the grommet to have the wire to go through. So, when I have 3 wires (oil pressure, oil temp and boost), do i need a bigger hole or there are other holes at the different location in the MR (where stock gauges are installed)?
Old Jan 10, 2006, 05:27 PM

Can someone please tell me where do stock MRs route their oil pressure/temp wires to the stock gauges? I am trying to install DEFI gauges. Any instructions on how to do it?
I can see they route the boost tube along the fender (under the metal) on the passenger's side without using the hole or grommet on the firewall on the passenger side. Anyone have use this route to route their wires?
thank you for any comments or help.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

I installed the same three gauges on my Evo 8......i used the rubber gromet on the passenger side, but i poked it threw and lost it...so i didnt have to drill threw it. No water gets in so, you dont have to have it. I didnt have factory gauges, so i bought the greddy block adaptor, well worth it. So, in short, got a greddy block adaptor, three gauges, and used the install instructions on the site for the boost gauge. All worked out really well, but took me and my freind longer than i thought.

Oh, if you use the whole were the rubber gromet is, poke a clothes hanger from under the hood in, and u'll see it behind the glove box.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 05:43 PM

hey thanks! i have the greddy oil adaptor already too, but i can't find instructions on how to install it, and what is the route for the oil pressure/temp sensors goes to the same grommet as the boost wire? go underneath or go above the engine... how should i route it?
Old Jan 10, 2006, 05:46 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

The rubber grommet is helpful as it will stop the metal edges of the hole from cutting the wires from the senders. I personally have my Oil pressure, Oil Temp, Boost, EGT senders running through it as well as the wiring for my laser jammer. All you need is a bigger hole

In regards to the Greddy Oil Block -- there have been a couple threads where this has pushed the oil filter too low, leaving it as one of the lowest things on the car. Several people have smacked it on bumps and road debris causing massive oil leaks.

There are 2 places you can tap right next to the oil filter that will not have this problem. Use these instead.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

i ran the all 3 wires threw the gromet... i ran the two wires torwds the front of the car, up near the oil cooler, where there's a straight shot up. then zip tied them under (i beleive) the air conditioner lines, then straight threw the gromet.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

I know lancershop.com has shorter oil filters. i know it puts the oil filter lower, i've only got s-tech's but i havnt ran into any probems....but to each their own.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by alan0108
I have searched the forums but I am not able to find answer to my questions specifically on IX MR. Hope you guys can help.
Since the MRs have stock gauges installed, there should be an existing hole through the firewall for wires/sensors, where is it? In front of the passenger side? The pictures i saw in some other posts, the VIII looks different.
Does the existing connections or sensors of the stock gauges in a MR work for the DEFI BF gauges? If not, is there directions to install boost, oil pressure/temp gauges on MRs?
thank you very much.
Hi,

First of all, what gauges are you trying to install?, if you have an MR wether is an Evo 8 MR or Evo 9MR you need to look NO further.

The MR comes with the voltimeter and gauges ready to go, that means you can utilize the stock gauges to sources the aftermarket gauges(Guage and Voltimeter)

You don't need to drill nothing, the Evos comes with a rubber plug behind the front right shock tower(on your left as you open the hood)

You will need to push the rubber plug from the engine side then you should be able to route the wires or whatever you need to route.

As far is the Defi gauges, you need to use a Defi control unti, otherwise the gauges wouldn't work.

For the boost gauge you will need a Defi cable ready that plugs into the back of the Defi gauge. Then from the controller, you will plug 3 connectors:
1) the one coming from the boost gauge(4 wires)
2) the one coming from the boost electronic sensor(3 wires)
3) the power source connector wich consist on 4 wires(white, black,orange and red)

Please PM for details. On a MR the connection is a piece of cake bro. I just happen to have Defi on my Evos, the installation is truly plug and play, you don't need cutting, splicing or soldering!!

These are some pics that I posted:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=178079

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Jan 10, 2006 at 08:13 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:49 PM

isn't there a cover or board underneath? with that we still have problems if we add the greddy adpator?
Old Jan 11, 2006, 07:49 AM
JTB
Evolved Member

The plactic underbody does not extend all the way to the oil filter and will not interfere. It would be a real pain to change the oil if it did
Old Jan 11, 2006, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here are my related how to articles on NorCalEvo:

How to install gauges in your Evo
How to make your own coolant temperature sensor adapter

Hope they help you guys out!