Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Trying to decide on which model for a new EVO IX...MR worth it or not??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2006, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You'll love the MR.
The GSR is also a nice choice, and while you can add different suspension, HIDS, different wheels, and even a 6spd tranny, you can't add an aluminum roof. Well, I suppose you can, but not without SEVERE work.

The cost of the HIDS from the dealer plus the price of the GSR was the same price I got for my MR...invoice.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Well I want a crispy Benjamin in my pocket everytime I reach for it, but I would take a hundred bucks in my pocket anyway I can. An Evo is an Evo, the OP is asking for our .02 and I think he has already made up his mind and he is just trying to justify it by asking us.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mekanic
From what I just read I'd say wait a month or 2 and get the GSR with the SE package.

Then you get all you want, including the HID's for 3k less than an MR
^^^you beat me to it..lol but if not mr all the way
Old Aug 7, 2006, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 91TB78
You'll love the MR.
The GSR is also a nice choice, and while you can add different suspension, HIDS, different wheels, and even a 6spd tranny, you can't add an aluminum roof. Well, I suppose you can, but not without SEVERE work.

The cost of the HIDS from the dealer plus the price of the GSR was the same price I got for my MR...invoice.
Yeah but the money you save on the MR you can save towards upgrades. If the guy is willing to get the RS to save money, but he said he needs ABS, PW, PDL. He said he wants HID's and aluminum roof, but doesn't need them. The tranny doesn't really matter, we all know the evo's sucks in the top end anyway so it is all the same.

The OP said he wanted a fun car, not one that he is going to be trippin' about everytime he flogs it thinking about how much more he spent for it. The last thing I would want on my mind when I am having "fun" is how much more I spent on the car if it is going to get scratched.

Last edited by Dabaysevo; Aug 7, 2006 at 06:38 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOIXMR8916
^^^you beat me to it..lol but if not mr all the way
+2
Old Aug 7, 2006, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The HID's and power windows/doorlocks can be added to the RS also...the question is whether it would be cost effective or not.

Is there any mechanical differences between the three models?? Diff is same ???
Old Aug 7, 2006, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Some misinformation here... The MR was tested on a road course and the Bilsteins proved worth every penny. While the RS was bouncing around, out of control, on every off-camber or unsettled piece of tarmac, the Bilstein-equipped MR absorbed the bumps and kept on truckin! The RS has a small advantage in the quarter, if that's your bent. For a DD, it's a no-brainer, at least until the SE's come out. The MR gets the (better) softer suspension, that handles real world roads miles better than the stock RS/GSL suspension, a better highway cruise ratio (6 spd), better shifting, less weight up high (alum roof), and, of course, factory HIDs. So either wait for one of the SE's (and pay more) or get an MR.
No brainer for me...
Old Aug 7, 2006, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WRC-GO
Some misinformation here... The MR was tested on a road course and the Bilsteins proved worth every penny. While the RS was bouncing around, out of control, on every off-camber or unsettled piece of tarmac, the Bilstein-equipped MR absorbed the bumps and kept on truckin! The RS has a small advantage in the quarter, if that's your bent. For a DD, it's a no-brainer, at least until the SE's come out. The MR gets the (better) softer suspension, that handles real world roads miles better than the stock RS/GSL suspension, a better highway cruise ratio (6 spd), better shifting, less weight up high (alum roof), and, of course, factory HIDs. So either wait for one of the SE's (and pay more) or get an MR.
No brainer for me...
yeah...what he said lol
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Put a wing on an RS and see what happens. Reason it bounces around is because the *** end is so light and under hard turns it tends to oversteer. I came from a GSR to an RS I can see where the RS lacks and thats the only department.

PS. who keeps a stock suspension anyways? 3weeks and I slapped on FLT-A2's on my RS and I can manuever like no other. Next step is wing/gurney flap+ vg-cuz i feel for the hype and it looks good.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:35 AM
Evolved Member

I thought ALL Evo IX's had aluminum roofs except for SSL because of the sunroof??
Old Aug 8, 2006, 03:02 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Some misinformation here... The MR was tested on a road course and the Bilsteins proved worth every penny. While the RS was bouncing around, out of control, on every off-camber or unsettled piece of tarmac, the Bilstein-equipped MR absorbed the bumps and kept on truckin! ..
It's a shame cars don't drive themselves.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tony_b
I thought ALL Evo IX's had aluminum roofs except for SSL because of the sunroof??
No, only the MR and RS. Reportedly the SE will have one too. The GSR (both SSL and non-SSL) have a steel roof.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
It's a shame cars don't drive themselves.

This is, at best, an uninformed comment; have you ever tracked a car? When the suspension gets unsettled over every little bump, the car is less controllable, and your time goes up - nothing to do with driving ability. I'll try to find the article link and post it up for those who really care to read it. It was an excellent comparison of the different models, and the MR basically won out, except in straight-line acceleration.

Not only that, but road tracks are generally pretty smooth. Imagine the difference on your typical back-woods twisties, that aren't. The MR would walk either other stock model easily. Point is, unless you want to mod your suspension, you're much better off with the Bilsteins, especially for DD.

Edit for link: Article

The "Money" quote: "Here the Bilstein-shock-equipped MR swept through unflustered by the jitters, while its standard-suspension stablemates either ping-ponged about or, in the case of the RS, slewed into oversteering slides. The difference was, er, shocking."

Last edited by WRC-GO; Aug 8, 2006 at 05:49 AM.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 06:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you can afford it, get the MR. I was convinced the MR wasn't worth the extra $ on paper until I drove it, then I changed my mind. The obvious bottom line: drive both and see what you think. The Blisteins are less choppy over bumps, the six speed shifts beautifully, IMO the BBS wheels are nicer, and you get the HIDs. In the % of the cost of a GSR the MR is tough to justify on paper- it is a lot of extra $ % wise, but see what you think after a test drive.

Last edited by Steve_P; Aug 8, 2006 at 06:10 AM.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 06:09 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This is, at best, an uninformed comment; have you ever tracked a car?
Actually, I have. Given the data in your profile, I attended my first event before you were born.

I'll try to find the article link and post it up for those who really care to read it. It was an excellent comparison of the different models, and the MR basically won out, except in straight-line acceleration.
Please keep in mind that IXs all have ACD, vs just the MR as per the test, as well as revised suspension setups. Please also keep in mind that any car's performance is directly correlated to the comfort level that it lends to its pilot. Given the vast differences in personal driving styles, it's ridiculous to assert that one model is the cure-all for everyone.

Not only that, but road tracks are generally pretty smooth. Imagine the difference on your typical back-woods twisties, that aren't.
Having driven the cars, imagination doesn't figure into my thought process.