Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Trying to decide on which model for a new EVO IX...MR worth it or not??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know you guys mean well haahhaha

And I know that 99% of the Honda owners are straight retarded and dont know anything.....but thankfully I am one of the 1% that actually knew what he was doing and is looking for a car that fills all the voids that the ITR has left me with.....I mean don't get me wrong I love my ITR and I will never sell it, but it leaves something to be desired......mainly TORQUE AND HP

Not only that I am just dying everytime I see an Evo knowing how much bread I spent on this Integra......

I had only boltons on the Integra
-big tube custom header
-2.5 testpipe and exhaust
-Mugen intake
-Hondata S200 w/P28

All of those mods and I needed a dyno to tell the difference......but if I spent that 2000 on the evo IX i'd have 330whp .....that kills me right there

If only the Evo IX was out in 2001 when I paid cash for the stupid Honda hahahha.....I paid 27,500 for this thing and I could have had an Evo a long time ago DOH!!!!
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS was designed for people that need assistance in modulating their braking pressure in panic situations, which means if you really know how to drive you don't need it (or want it). Race cars don't use them, because their drivers know how to brake.

I've been driving performance cars for over 20 years, and I have never locked up my brakes in panic situations. It just becomes instinct on how much brake pressure you need in a particular car without going into lock up. It's all part of becoming a great driver (it's not just about pressing the gas).
Old Aug 8, 2006, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Just like you said it needs to be learned.....Although I have been going to HPDE for over 5 years my car has always had ABS on it...

And since I'm getting an evo within a month or so and rainy season here is coming I really don't know where I would be able to learn and test out the non-abs evo safely....

All the tracks are closed for rainy season so thats not gonna work....so what would your suggestions be on how to learn quickly how to utilize the RS brakes through bad weather??? If you have any tips that would be great.....the last thing I would want to do is wad this car up trying to figure out how to brake in a emergency situation
Old Aug 8, 2006, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

find a driving school that teaches threshhold braking techniques
Old Aug 8, 2006, 01:44 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by South Side Evo
ABS was designed for people that need assistance in modulating their braking pressure in panic situations, which means if you really know how to drive you don't need it (or want it). Race cars don't use them, because their drivers know how to brake.

I've been driving performance cars for over 20 years, and I have never locked up my brakes in panic situations. It just becomes instinct on how much brake pressure you need in a particular car without going into lock up. It's all part of becoming a great driver (it's not just about pressing the gas).
Old Aug 8, 2006, 02:05 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TEC
Google the name of the car, you can find info on it including the fact that it has a larger brake upgrade.

If you've been around long enough you can easily tell that the brake system was not adjusted after the big brake install, otherwise the brakes would not have locked up unless the sensors were dead or removed.
Discounting for speculation, you obviously have no way of knowing how the car was equipped for the event and how its brakes were adjusted. End of story.

As I recall, the RX7 had issues with its ABS, as well.

Despite of what all of these F1 racers on this board say, you should opt for ABS on a daily driven car.
Errr...some of us learned how to drive effectively before ABS even existed. Modulating the brakes is a learned skill and its application is "automatic" for those who have it.

Last edited by FJF; Aug 8, 2006 at 02:10 PM.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

I need to learn how to threshold brake in the rain...so i dont think any hpde school will allow that ROFL
Old Aug 8, 2006, 05:06 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

[...]text deleted[/...]

Last edited by FJF; Aug 8, 2006 at 05:09 PM.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
JDMevoBOOST, if you drove your integra with no power and such, you'll be fine int he RS and it will perform the best at the track.

Now here's something to think about, I bought a IX in feb. and I think I'm gonna be trading it in and gettin a 06 or 07 MR.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

what dont u like bout the gsr??? just wondering what would be the reason for switching...
Old Aug 8, 2006, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

well i think you said something like..."im gonna buy it cash" if that is the case then buy the MR. it is alot better for Highway driving. i usually drive about 80mph wherever i go so the a 6th gear would be great. BUT
if it isnt going to see alot of highway miles then by all means go for the RS. but again if you dont care too much about the money, buy the MR.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

ABS has been proven to be far superior to non-ABS in the Viper racing league. The Gen III Viper (with ABS) drivers who've traded up or whatever have all, to a driver, said they can go deeper into a corner, control steering under hard braking better, and come out faster. This is not speculation, but track-proven experience from literally dozens of experienced track rats.
It's just a superior system. As far as DD, there's not even a debate...
Old Aug 8, 2006, 06:29 PM

HID's are pretty and all, but they are weight in a funky place.....
Old Aug 8, 2006, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

JDMevoBOOST.

get the MR. you'll have your aluminum roof, ABS, 6 speed, powerlocks, and HID. as mentioned before you'll void your warranty getting/trading in for a 5 speed, but the 6 speed isn't that bad. just like anything else, the hype is in the wrong direction for the 6 speed.

since you don't want your wheels and shocks you could easily sell those for money towards the parts u mentioned above and also add $$$ to the pot for your volks (or whatever) and suspension.

you'll want to get ABS since you said your so used to it. i lost my abs when i converted to NSX calipers on my 5 lug conversioned DC. i had to get used to fine tuning her and learned not to just stab the brake. learned it the hard way after a minor canyon run.

also as for the ITR to EVO switch... i feel you on that one. i'm selling my DC for way less than i got her, and way less than what i put into her. for about 6000 i put in a 4.785 JDM ITR trans and made 190whp (no headwork or modded valvetrain) on a s200 tuned LsVtec. My car made low 13's but that still is no match for the low 13 evo stock turbo. lol. and being on the most stolen cars list every year is no fun too. it's kinda funny how integras are on there every year and are the #2, #3, #6, #7, and #9 on the top 10. though evos are getting popular it'll never top the integ's reign. lol

like you said, imagine putting 3000 in mods into an EVO and making God's amount of power. unlike a DC, you'll get more bang for the buck. don't get me wrong since HONDA was my "gateway" car, I still love her, but just like a high maintnenance highschool girlfriend, you always gotta watch her when ur back is turned. Get something refined and you'll know people are looking, but not touching, like the EVO MR!

oh and yeah.... this'll be your new Honda-Tech!

Last edited by ernald711; Aug 8, 2006 at 06:34 PM.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 08:17 PM

The MR is cool if I wasnt like 6 k upside down on my trade I would have bought the MR but Im happy with my IX GSR.