Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Trying to decide on which model for a new EVO IX...MR worth it or not??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2006, 08:36 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The lack of ABS in the RS is a feature. Here's one of the reasons why:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...719&q=evo+rain

Just something to consider...
Old Aug 8, 2006, 10:28 AM
TEC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF

What happens when you put larger brakes on a factory ABS system with no adjustment?

Unless you plan to build a car exactly like that EVO, that video is useless data.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 11:16 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TEC
What happens when you put larger brakes on a factory ABS system with no adjustment?

Unless you plan to build a car exactly like that EVO, that video is useless data.
How do you know the car had larger brakes with no adjustment?
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by JDMevoBOOST
OK well I know I have seen at least 10 other threads with a similar title....but all of the OP's were pretty vague and didn't really have an idea of what they wanted and didn't research the car and learn more about it before they started asking. Hopefully this long *** post can be used by other future Evo IX owners so they can kind of see the options they have if they dont see a model that specifically fits their needs.

Just for a little background I plan on buying a brand new Evo in cash to be a fun daily driver. My road racecar is a 2001 Integra Type-R and yes I know the car has no torque and is expensive to mod with very little gain in power (thats what the evo is for )

I know the Evo is getting stolen also, but I am willing to get a GPS alarm and other security devices and nothing can be worse than the Integra as far as getting stolen.

MY SPECIFIC USE FOR THE EVO:

The Evo will be used for some HPDE and street driving. I'm looking for around 330 WHP and I know that it only takes a couple well thought out mods to get there TBE+MBC+flash. The main reason I want the Evo is because I need something fast and fun that I don't have to worry about getting stolen if I go to the mall. My Integra drives me insane because if I do take it out I have to remove the steering wheel and all other kinds of crap which is annoying.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________

Concerns I have with the MR:

The dilemma I am running into now is that I can't decide whether the MR is worth the 7k-8k difference in price over the RS. I am worried about all the people having problems with the 6-speed tranny and I would take the 5-speed if that meant a more reliable transmission.

For either of the three Evo's I would be getting different suspension and different wheels so the Bilsteins and the BBS wheels dont make too much of a difference to me, but I really like the OEM HID and it would cost 1500+ to get OEM HID onto the RS or GSR....(dont like the SSL because of the sunroof)

MY PROBLEM

I'm trying to get everything I want and nothing I don't, which I know is not going to happen, but from a price standpoint I'd like to figure out what my best option is.

So let us look at some numbers
:

1) In Northern Cali I could probably get the RS down to 24,500 +T/L w/ government fleet discount and graduate discount

**I would then want to add the HID and the power windows and locks <---this is where I need your guys help on the estimated cost of adding these two things.

**I would also want to paint the mirrors and other unpainted areas, could sell shocks

-the obvious downsides to the RS is that the color choice is limited, no ABS
-upside is that it's lightweight and cheap!

2) I could get the GSR for 27,500 +T/L with above discounts

**I would still have to add HID, could sell the shocks

-downside is the loss of the aluminum roof
-upside is tons of color choices of which I would get black

3) I could get the MR for around 31,500 + T/L with the above discounts

**not much I would sell off besides the Bilsteins, vortex generator, three center guages

-downside is the questionably fragile tranny and high price/limited color choice
-upside better stock wheels/shocks , comes with HID and appearance package

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________

So now looking at this the RS is looking pretty nice as long as putting in the HID and power doorlocks and windows is not too expensive...the extra $5000 saved after the HID and interior stuff is added could be used for nice wheels/tires/coilovers/TBE/MBC/Flash and paint for mirrors and such. I would definitely be satisfied with WW.

The GSR is also looking pretty nice because I would get the color I want and all the power window/door lock for $3,000 over the RS, which is nice....but I'd still have to add the OEM HID, wich would bring me sort of close to MR pricing dammit why cant the GSR come with aluminum roof......if it did my mind would be made up.....I would be left over with about $2000 for coilovers and a TBE

The MR is looking like a good deal also because of the better wheels and appearance package while retaining the aluminum roof.....but the 6-speed problems people are having are worrying the **** out of me and all of the extras I'm gonna add to the car are going to be on top.

So if you guys can help me on the prices for OEM HID and power door panels and switches and stuff that would be great!!!
dude you say you know what you want and what not........... but the way you come across you defenatly dont know what you want lol

for your #1. the RS is the best starting point for a track car period .

but if your going to throw in all the power junk back in like the other EVO's then it very much so defeats the purpose of the RS....

the ABS as you start going to track events and speaking to instructors you learn isnt important at all..... the first thing my instructors taught me is to learn how to slow down as fast as possible with out the ABS kicking in ; so why would it be important? i understand ABS is a bit safer in bad conditions but in bad condition you should be driving more carefully to where you wouldnt need it anyways lol so i guess if your pedal happy and cant modulate something simple like a brake pedal then , then that might be just you having crappy driving skill and needing ABS... i dont know whatever .

also throwing HID's in that are OEM is not the best way to go in terms of price man.... and its kinda pointless to do the OEM setup unless warranty is going to cover them or something ..... you know? otherwise why spend so much on OEM stuff? many of my friends run the aftermarket HID lights on there car's and have no problems with them! plus they are much brighter than my OEM HID's on my IX MR ... and have a nicer blue color to them wich the OEM setup only has at initial power up while the gas warms up.... then they just turn white unlike the aftermarket ones that saty very nice and blue

also since your worried about painted door mirror's and door handle's...
it kinda sounds like your not really a big performance guy as much as a hey look at me driving a performance car that i mostly use just to show off because it looks nice and all my friend's think its a tight car kinda guy....... lol i meen that in the nicest way possible not trying to talk crap about you or anything also i know its only available in red or white... but comeon white is one of the sexiest cleanest looking color's on the EVO

anyways bringing me back to the reall questions at hand. from what i know the 5 speed is a much more stronger trans , even stock vs. the 6 speed . there have been alot of people that have had 4th gear failure's in there 6 speed's wich sucks... most recent that ive seen is warrtalon. but this guys races the crap out of the car and i belive it was like a 30+ min. heat he was runing the car in.. so take that as you will. will you be racing that much and that hard? if not then im sure you should be fine with the 6 speed if you did choose to get an MR

anyways i noticed you said that if the IX came with an alum. roof like the RS or the MR , your mind would be made up on the IX correct?

well there is the IX SE coming out that i think you might not know about

this model will be what you are calling a GSR trim level wich doesnt exist here in the U.S. lol... but anyways it will have the HID lights along with the fogs wich is something it sounds like you really want!

and it will also include an alum. roof like the RS and MR.

not to mention it has all "your little power accesories and painted door mirros and door handles" wich im not so sure affect performance but.... whatever i guess

it will also include a new OEM front lip standard , along with red stitching on the seats wich is neat i guess kinda like JDM type R seats! and i belive it has difrent color wheel's? not sure on the IX SE but i know the IX MR SE has the diamond black BBS finish on the MR wheels insted of the dark standard color

so look dude my opinion is a truly unbiased one. i own both the IX MR and the IX RS and ive told you the pluses the downsides and even another model the IX SE wich i think fits you like a glove! so i hope i can help you on making up your mind on what to pick because i know its hard.... and i wish you luck on your purchace.

but let me stress this a little more for you.... IF YOUR AFTER PERFORMANCE THE RS IS THE BEST STARTING POINT PERIOD NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE HERE TELLS YOU... BECAUSE IM SURE TRACK INSTRUCTORS KNOW THEYRE SH*T A LITTLE MORE THAN MOST GUYS ON HERE AND THEY HAVE NO REASON TO LIE!!! plus i was told this by numerous instructors i spoke 2 and asked this question of wich model truly is best for a track car! the answer was always the RS

Last edited by WW IX RS; Aug 8, 2006 at 12:17 PM.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by FJF

yeah dude no ABS is really is a feature when you learn how to drive it and use it to your advantage........ wich i do on my RS

my MR on the other hand i dont like at the track very much......... the ABS crap just seems to get in the way and interfear with my driving.....

but like i said , if he has crappy skill's then he might NEED the ABS seriously speaking...

but yeah i now prefer 100X's a car with no ABS on a track then a car with ABS... now that i know how to use it that is.....

before i did think like all these other guys and taught that ABS was faster but it really is not.....

i meen you have to remember ABS doesnt stop faster than a non ABS car.... it just stops in a more controlled mater in the hand of a no experiance driver....

also i notice the ABS computer tripping out on uneven traction situations on the track..... kinda like the computer doesnt know wtf to do or doesnt know how to react lol its not so smart i guess... oh well i think it blow donkey *****
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK before this turns into a large debate maybe I should give a better idea of what I personally need and am willing to deal with\

Prior to having my accord I used to daily drive my integra.....now all of you may think that blabla it must be another wussy integra with cut springs....let me grab a picture for you guys.

I have a different threshold for uncomfortability when it comes to a daily driver

1) This car was very stiff (10Kfront/12Krear) and I had no problem dailying it

And this is also the reason I said that the suspension on the MR makes no difference to me because I would switch it out just as fast as the stock RS setup.....I would get a set of decent coilovers for the street and I would have Ohlins track suspension...so really when I say that the Bilsteins dont mean anything to me I really do mean it.

2) My Integra had no A/C, no airbags, no radio, no speakers, no interior panels minus the dash and door panels.

So as far as needing any of the comfort items....i really dont....it would be nice to have power door locks and windows, but I am confident in my mechanical ability to be able to install it....I just needed to know if it was going to cost me like 1000 dollars since I assume it will require all new door panels and all the switches.

3) This Integra served double duty.....drive to the track and back home

I would like the evo to do the same....and I will modify it just as heavily....I know I said I will be happy with 330whp and I will be.....but I am a suspension and braking type of guy and I would be spending a huge chunk of my money there.

So please....I am sorry I wasn't more clear in the original post but I figured it was too long already But now that I see all these opinions I want to make it clear that I am comfortable daily driving a full on race car. But I absolutely need HID...and prefer it to be OEM.....

Do any of you have pictures of the cutoff of the aftermarket HID in stock non-hid housings??? That would be great.....

The more I look at it the more the RS is making sense.

RS base price
+ 100 to paint mirrors and door handles (it bothers me )
+ 1000 ?? for OEM HID
+ 500 for power door locks and windows

Still leaves plenty of money for great suspension/wheels/power goodies
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

I have a gsr and my best friend has a MR. I honestly don't like the tranny in the MR. It doesn't feel like it pulls any harder, and the the extra shifting is annoying. If I ever buy another Evo it will be a RS.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

How difficult is it to remove ABS later down the road?
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:24 PM
TEC

Originally Posted by FJF
How do you know the car had larger brakes with no adjustment?
Google the name of the car, you can find info on it including the fact that it has a larger brake upgrade.

If you've been around long enough you can easily tell that the brake system was not adjusted after the big brake install, otherwise the brakes would not have locked up unless the sensors were dead or removed.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

And the ONLY reason I ask about ABS is not for track reasons....but for my daily driving in the Bay Area....maybe u are unfamiliar with northern California but our rainy days get out of control and add dense fog and sometimes you have to emergency brake on the freeway with no warning through puddles.

I know that ABS is worse for track driving....but I really am scared of driving such a fast car with no ABS in the fog and rain......Sometimes when you don't know someone is going to brake on you it causes you to panic brake....and with no ABS that can cause a pretty wicked slide.

So I appreciate you calling me wussy or telling me that I can't drive or whatever

But when it comes down to it I know how to drive a car on the road course....And yah my car obviously was not as fast as an evo in a straight line ...but if you have been to any road course I am sure you see Type-R's running times that aren't far behind stock evo's due to them being lightweight which allows them to brake later and full throttle through the turn....but what do I know I'm a ricer right???

ROFL just because the unpainted parts bother me...dont let that fool you into thinking I dont know what I am doing.....Every single thing on that Integra was done by me minus the tune.....and that includes putting everything back together after it was stolen and recovered. Please dont assume things....it just makes u look like an asshat

Last edited by JDMevoBOOST; Aug 8, 2006 at 12:31 PM.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:30 PM

OK before this turns into a large debate maybe I should give a better idea of what I personally need and am willing to deal with\

Prior to having my accord I used to daily drive my integra.....now all of you may think that blabla it must be another wussy integra with cut springs....let me grab a picture for you guys.

I have a different threshold for uncomfortability when it comes to a daily driver

1) This car was very stiff (10Kfront/12Krear) and I had no problem dailying it

And this is also the reason I said that the suspension on the MR makes no difference to me because I would switch it out just as fast as the stock RS setup.....I would get a set of decent coilovers for the street and I would have Ohlins track suspension...so really when I say that the Bilsteins dont mean anything to me I really do mean it.

2) My Integra had no A/C, no airbags, no radio, no speakers, no interior panels minus the dash and door panels.

So as far as needing any of the comfort items....i really dont....it would be nice to have power door locks and windows, but I am confident in my mechanical ability to be able to install it....I just needed to know if it was going to cost me like 1000 dollars since I assume it will require all new door panels and all the switches.

3) This Integra served double duty.....drive to the track and back home

I would like the evo to do the same....and I will modify it just as heavily....I know I said I will be happy with 330whp and I will be.....but I am a suspension and braking type of guy and I would be spending a huge chunk of my money there.

So please....I am sorry I wasn't more clear in the original post but I figured it was too long already But now that I see all these opinions I want to make it clear that I am comfortable daily driving a full on race car. But I absolutely need HID...and prefer it to be OEM.....

Do any of you have pictures of the cutoff of the aftermarket HID in stock non-hid housings??? That would be great.....

The more I look at it the more the RS is making sense.

RS base price
+ 100 to paint mirrors and door handles (it bothers me )
+ 1000 ?? for OEM HID
+ 500 for power door locks and windows

Still leaves plenty of money for great suspension/wheels/power goodies
yeah dude then you should have no problem with an RS

the mirrors and handles shouldt be much to paint... you might actually find people to trade you theyre painted pieces for you black pieces! alot of us like the look of the black mirrors and handles over the painted pieces

oem HID setup if you buy new from the dealer im sure cost more than 1,000 bucks. but try evodave he has alot of headlight and tail light stuff for these cars im sure he probobly has everything you need to do an OEM HID setup on the RS for cheaper than the dealer....

and as for power windows and door lock's im sure it will be more than 500 bucks for that stuf! considering your going to need all new panels and such....

so i meen its up to you dude! good luck on you purchase

and nice ITR i had a champion ship white one before! cool car , just couldnt stand no trq. and fwd anymore
lol
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:31 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

The RS' mirrors are not unpainted; they're painted black. FWIW, I live in NY where we see lots of snow, ice and rain and my Winter car has no ABS. If you feel more comfortable having it, by all means get a car with ABS. Stay safe.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:35 PM
TEC

And the ONLY reason I ask about ABS is not for track reasons....but for my daily driving in the Bay Area....maybe u are unfamiliar with northern California but our rainy days get out of control and add dense fog and sometimes you have to emergency brake on the freeway with no warning through puddles.

I know that ABS is worse for track driving....but I really am scared of driving such a fast car with no ABS in the fog and rain......Sometimes when you don't know someone is going to brake on you you panic brake....and with no ABS that can cause a pretty wicked slide.

So I appreciate you calling me wussy or telling me that I can't drive or whatever

But when it comes down to it I know how to drive a car on the road course....And yah my car obviously was not as fast as an evo...but if you have been to any road course I am sure you see Type-R's running times that aren't far behind stock evo's due to them being lightweight which allows them to brake later into the turn and fo full throttle before the apex....but hey what do I know I'm a ricer right???

ROFL just because the unpainted parts bother me...dont let that fool you into thinking I dont know what I am doing.....Every single thing on that Integra was done by me minus the tune.....and that includes putting everything back together after it was stolen and recovered. Please dont assume things....it just makes u look like an asshat
Despite of what all of these F1 racers on this board say, you should opt for ABS on a daily driven car. Tracking a car and driving a car on the streets are two totally different things. If you driving on a track you expect certain situations and all parties know and are usually following the rules. On the street with all the F&F kids along with people who are stupid enough to drive their truck down the left side emergency lane on the freeway (had this happen to me yesterday) you probably will get to test that ABS system out more than once.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

When some dumb$hit in a Camry spins out in front of me the last thing I'm gonna think about is modulating

I am so used to ABS that I just slam the brakes....I guess I will just have to learn how to do it.....but you guys know what I mean....if something sudden happens you have very little time to react.....especially when everything seems normal a hundreth of a second earlier.

And yah....we have plenty of idiots over here too.....all those wannabe gangsters in their 1980 Buick with stolen 22's "switchin' fo lanes" cause a lot of accidents....

The last accident I got into some guy in a Jetta thought it would be cool to switch lanes through a puddle at 80 mph during a heavy down pour.....needless to say he spins his car three rotations....yah my passenger counted them before he said "Oh $hit!!!" and the guys bumper clips my rear quarter panel.......

Last edited by JDMevoBOOST; Aug 8, 2006 at 12:41 PM.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:40 PM

I know that ABS is worse for track driving....but I really am scared of driving such a fast car with no ABS in the fog and rain......Sometimes when you don't know someone is going to brake on you you panic brake....and with no ABS that can cause a pretty wicked slide.

But when it comes down to it I know how to drive a car on the road course....And yah my car obviously was not as fast as an evo...but if you have been to any road course I am sure you see Type-R's running times that aren't far behind stock evo's due to them being lightweight which allows them to brake later into the turn and fo full throttle before the apex....but hey what do I know I'm a ricer right???

lol i really didnt meen it like that bro! so dont take any offense ok

like i said i had one lol.... so yeah i jk around alot.... and i dont know you so why would i assume bro? anyways.... i do all my work also just like you! exept for the tune. and if i had the tools to do it i would do that 2 lol.... but luckily nothing ever got stolen beside my nissan B13 SE-R ........... lets just say that wasnt something i could recover they crashed it so hard it pretty much exploded almost on impact but oh well **** happens

and yeah im familiar with bay area weather lol it can be a b*tch sometimes. but like i said in crap weather just drive very cautios with alot of distance and train yourself not to panic and you should be fine!!!

so yeah eather way its your choise and again i apoligize if i offended you and i came across as an "asshat" lol

you should meet warrtalon if you think i was bad ^^^ we mean well dude