Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Fully built HKS Evo with $20000 just runs high11's

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2006, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Would you mind posting some of the engine mods?, I don't have the magazine with me but I which to share the info. Thanks!

Carlos
HKS 2.3 stroker kit,forged pistons,forged rods,forged crank,GT3037S turbo upgrade,exhaust manifold,s/s racing wastegate,downpipe,R-type intercooler,272 cams,vavle springs,cam gears,1.6mm metal head gasket,fine time tuning and balance belts,SpecR titanium exhaust,racing suction intake,Adjustable FPR,680cc injectors,R-type oil cooler,iridium plugs,.....some other cosmetic upgrades.

Im reading this out of the magazine right now
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Awesome find. Your link solved a lot of questions.

I still see it very slow. I trapped 111.4mph once on 91oct and at elevation with stock block, turbo,injectors,intercooler etc. I still expected no less than 120mph even with pump gas for that kind of power.

Carlos
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The magazine says the 2.3L stroker kit is their prototype.... maybe its just not perfected yet?
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo Tengoku
The magazine says the 2.3L stroker kit is their prototype.... maybe its just not perfected yet?
That thing is like 2 to 3 years ago, HKS has put that unit into prodution already.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo Tengoku
maybe still got some bugs or something.....lol
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:14 AM

You guy's forget to mention i believe its a VIII RS if im not mistaken...
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:16 AM

I also have this issue and read the article....

It does seem strange that it put up those numbers with the power mods it has. In that same issue there is an article on some kids WRX (yes just a WRX) that ran a better time with less horsepower. This also considering the HKS Evo was driven by a proffesional.

Unfortunately I don't have it in front of me, but I'm glad someone posted this, cause when I read about both cars and saw the stats and their numbers, something just didn't add up right.

-Joe
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

HKS 2.3L stroker kit: $6,500

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...productid=1151
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...ishi_evolution

Read the part where the car only boost like 17-18 psi on an upgraded turbo. HKS always plays it safe around magazines, they don't want to be known for having stuff blown up. I bet that the evo 8 that HKS is giving away does make 481whp just not when they ran it.

It's like RRE where they want to win at all costs during mag comparos, even though they have blown up a few time doing it. I recall that in SCC UCC a year or two ago, the one where XS Engineering Skyline won and also American Togue 2, that their motors blew up on both counts. I almost forgot about Evo Orgy 2004 SCC article where their blue evo blew up a motor during the first day of testing and they spend the whole night swaping the block out.

HKS probably goes ultra conservative when they go in to magazine competitions. That is the reason I don't read magazines anymore, everything in them is pretty much BS.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KC_RR05mr
You guy's forget to mention i believe its a VIII RS if im not mistaken...
yeah it's an evo8 rs....
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

1. All those magazines always get horrible track times - the drivers are obviously not up to par.

2. 1/4 mile is not the only measure of a car's performance.

3. HKS parts - especially their turbokits, clutches, etc are relatively expensive.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:30 AM

Ahh...I take back that statement about the WRX article in the same magazine. The WRX article was in Subisport. It still provided for a good debate with my brother (STI driver) about why an Evo with that much power would put down that quarter mile time.

-Joe
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

http://www.caranddriver.com/supercar...lts-page3.html Buschur Racing's time during the same competition.

http://www.caranddriver.com/supercar...ecs-page2.html It was running a Bushur Stage 4 so stock turbo on those runs.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dabaysevo
http://www.hksusa.com/info/?id=2957

It was built for road course and I think when it ran those numbers it was done on pump according to C&D rules for the superfour challange.

I bet with a few tweaks it would be faster.

+1. I think this car was built for road courses. I'm sure HKS knows what they are doing. They have been building/tuning import cars for ages and have one the fastest time attack cars in the world. I don't know why people say it only ran high 11's in the quarter mile. The evo was not designed for 1/4mile in the first place but it does quite well. Straight line is fun but taking turns, braking taking the car to its limits is priceless 1/4 mile is not its purpose, plus this run I believe was on pump gas. Throw some race gas and a more aggressive tune I'm sure it will run low 11's high 10's. Bigger turbo such as a 35r or 37r low 10's maybe. But I'm sure that will defeat its purpose of roadcoarse, time attack racing. I do Agree $20,000 is alot of money and I would never spend that much on my evo. A few mods will put a evo into the 11's for way less than $20,000. Since its a HKS owned evo skys the limit in modifying it. Good God I wish I had $20,000 however I put that money somewhere else such as towards college fund Eitherway nice evo, expensive but nice Cheers
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dabaysevo
http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...ishi_evolution

Read the part where the car only boost like 17-18 psi on an upgraded turbo. HKS always plays it safe around magazines, they don't want to be known for having stuff blown up. I bet that the evo 8 that HKS is giving away does make 481whp just not when they ran it.

HKS probably goes ultra conservative when they go in to magazine competitions. That is the reason I don't read magazines anymore, everything in them is pretty much BS.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

^^^Note: my following comments are directed to the issue/topic not against your comments.

If that is the case, I find HKS to be the dumbest aftermarket manufacturer out there. Why would you want to build a car and have reservations about your own reliability? why would you overspent soo much money on a car when you can only use 60% of the power in order to be "safe and reliable"

What is the point of putting a 2.3l stroker kit,bigger IC,turbikit etc etc if you can't really maximize its potential. Sorry but I am not buying it, It does not make sense. When a big company like HKS builts a car they better be the best accordingly to their expenses.

Running such car at 17-18psi it could fell victim to much faster Evo 8 and Evo 9 cars which run faster and more reliably without the fear of breaking.

In reality a Evo 8 or a Evo 9 with a few bolt ons could physically equal that HKS Evo running at 17psi. You can safely and reliably built a Evo 9 with some proven bolt ons that don't even involve ,bigger displacement, turbo,intercooler,injectors or ECU, just basic bolt ons.. and remember most of us drive our Evos 10 times more than a HKS Evo show room /built car.

No excuse!!

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Dec 29, 2006 at 10:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Fully built HKS Evo with $20000 just runs high11's