Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

5W5 bulbs and dirty marker lights?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2007, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5W5/W5W bulbs and dirty marker lights?

Ok, so now I've got all 4 marker lights out. Like, burnt. Like, not on when there's juice. Guess I gotta get this fixed before I get a ticket.

I look up in the manual to find that I'm lucky. They are all ANSI (American National Standards Institue) 5W5 bulbs. Yippie! I drop by my local auto parts store and can't find it on the shelf. So, I'm like ok, there's a cross reference somewhere. So I go up to the big guy at the desk and ask for ANSI (AMERICAN NATIONAL STANDARD INSTITUTE) 5w5 bulb. He looks at me puzzled, asks what type of car, I tell him, he takes me to the bulb slection, he says "is this it?" as he pulls one from the shelf. I''m like how the heck should I know? I need a 5W5. AMERICAN STANDARD measurment system. I'm in America. He's like, ok, best you take the bad bulb off and bring it in for comparison. I'm like, ok, whatever. I get home take off the drivers side rear marker light (easier than the front) and I find it covered in mud. I'm like, ok, its a light exposed to the underside rear bumper. Maybe it gets dirty. I clean it off and remove the socket by twisting counterclockwise, like the manual says. The socet comes out and I find wet mud on the inside. I'm like WTF???? I check the seal, it looks good. How the heck did mud get in here? I remove the bulb/socket/screws, clean it all up, mostly. I think its corroded INSIDE the socket, past the gasket! I don't yet know how. AND I think one of the socket electrodes is rusted away as there is a lot of red crap and no contact. So I check the passanger's side to find the same crap. Not as bad, but same deal. I got my lenses soaking in soap right now. And, no, no bulb markings to identify them. All I know is ANSI 5W5, which my local auto parts store has no idea what type they are.

So, questions:
  • Where do I buy a 5W5. I understand that a 194 is compatible, but lower wattage, do I want this? Probably not.
  • Anyone else get mud inside their rear market lens? I haven't yet checked the front.
I expect this on a 20-30 year old vehicle. Not something 3.5 years old. I'd have pictures to show, but the camera isn't here right now. Help?

Last edited by tcollins; Feb 25, 2007 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Incorrect bulb specification
Old Feb 24, 2007, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

+1. i wanted to change all my amber bulbs to white bulbs. but yea the damn sizes are confusing.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by jluckyp
+1. i wanted to change all my amber bulbs to white bulbs. but yea the damn sizes are confusing.
From what I've read, its not only the size. If the 194 is indeed lower wattage but same physical dimentions, then its electrical a well. Then again, there's the Phillips BlueVision [ultra] 5w5. I also need two new sockets to boot as the contacts are pretty much corroded. I don't know yet if I can just place them or Mitsu is going to charge me $400 for a new wiring harness. One would have thought that the Owner's Manual would have been in the native language and context of the country at hand? Unsure exactly how to get at the font one without dropping or removing the front wheels. Or maybe turning then lock to lock so I can remove the screws holding the wheel well materal in pace.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 04:54 PM

I guess for one thing 5W5 bulbs don't really exist. Maybe W5W is better, like the manual says and like my dyslexia told me otherwise. Anyways, I found set of Sylvania 2825 "European Lamps" which are suppose to be direct replacements for the W5W. Made in Germany. Found them att Schuck's Auto Supply. Dude said "that's not a common size" and they had only 1 pack, so I'll be looking at the other stores for more bulbs. I still need some new sockets for the rear marker lights, however. Crap!
Old Feb 25, 2007, 05:43 PM

FYI: According to my Butt Dyno, the Sylvania W5W is noticeably visually brighter than the Napa 194 bulb. So I'll use the W5W. New sockets and sealant is next.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 02:01 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for the info. i'll have to check those out.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here this might help!
http://www.machevo.com/lightbulbs.html

also... the Sylvania product number is not 5w5.. it's another number, something like 2965 or what was mentioned above... but it does mention in the description, i.e. 2825(5w5), etc. Look in the products book near the bulbs area of Pepboys, where I found my replacement.