Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Third Gear Grind.....Are Evo's Junk??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2007, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donmeca2020
you probably just didnt break in the car correctly dude. i broke mine in correctly and never had any problems. going into 5 at higher speeds would some times grind but it wasnt repetitive probably was a break in issue i would think.
Alot of people are saying that the grinding problems are rolling off the truck like that. I really think its hit or miss. I do notice with mine if i shift at a higher rpm I can avoid the 3rd gear clunk.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Two EVOs. One 03 67k and one 04 RS 37k. Both shift like butter. Pensoil Syncromesh FTW.

I want a SHEP ot TRE Tranny but mine just wont quit. Sorry for all of you IX guys misfortune. I say you can definately get the dealer to replace since your cars are unmodded and brand new
Old Feb 26, 2007, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah just about time for a shep build for me. Pain to get it in 2nd when the cars not warmed up and grinds reverse ever since the day I bought it.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, our Evos are junks! If you want to believe that...

I had the exact problem in my IX until around 7K miles. Now, the third gear is no longer a PITA. BTW, I also swap to LS short shifter. Smooth shifting now. GL and give some time...
Old Feb 26, 2007, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Even with synchro mesh in mine 5th gear grinds when I shift from 4th at 8000 rpm, does that count?
Old Feb 26, 2007, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cdupont03
Yeah just about time for a shep build for me. Pain to get it in 2nd when the cars not warmed up and grinds reverse ever since the day I bought it.
You do realize these are not signs of a bad trans right?

Due to the stock fluid almost every Evo Ive driven has been difficult to get into second until the trans fluid warms up. Obviously the issue is amplified on a cold day.

As for grinding into reverse...
Reverse is a straght cut (not helical) gear. This is why reverse gears whine while moving in reverse. Also reverse does not have syncros, as it does not need them. You should never be moving while shifting into reverse, otherwise you will get a grind. Its not made to be shifted into while moving. Put it in reverse at a stop, then roll back.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to break it in from 0 miles.......but it sounds like it came from the factory messed up! The car had 70 miles on it when I bought it, and from day one it was tough to get it into third. Some inexperienced guy could of jacked it up in the first 70, but who knows? I really don't want them to open up the tranny, but I hate shifting like a granny in a car made to speeeeeeeeeeeed. I know how to shift, and who wants to "learn" how to baby a car buy learning its quirks. I'll probably get them to try and fix it, and hope for the best. Sounds like Mitsubishi needs to work on their trannys!!!! I had a Integra before and shifted smooth as butter....but it didn't move like the Evo either...
Old Feb 26, 2007, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wicked White
Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to break it in from 0 miles.......but it sounds like it came from the factory messed up! The car had 70 miles on it when I bought it, and from day one it was tough to get it into third. Some inexperienced guy could of jacked it up in the first 70, but who knows? I really don't want them to open up the tranny, but I hate shifting like a granny in a car made to speeeeeeeeeeeed. I know how to shift, and who wants to "learn" how to baby a car buy learning its quirks. I'll probably get them to try and fix it, and hope for the best. Sounds like Mitsubishi needs to work on their trannys!!!! I had a Integra before and shifted smooth as butter....but it didn't move like the Evo either...
OK, this makes more sense. The Evo transmission does not like to be shifted fast, period. It likes less violent, more precise methodical gear changes.

I own an Integra GS-R with 131,000 miles on it, and comapared to my Evo yes shifts can still be made much quicker. The Teggie trans is one of the fastest shifting transmissions Ive driven, and it makes shifting in the Evo properly seem that much slower. I dont mind though, I dont drag my car.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

it usually happens when i granny shift, but when i shift fast "no grind" . just got my tranny oil change and i kinda feels better. alot better
Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Never!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BBS
Did the dealership alleviate your grinding?
yep a little bit of ky and a french maid will fix anything. jp lol

ya they replaced the gear and other required parts

cheers!
Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

These kinds of posts make me happy I have a TurboTrix Trans =p
Old Feb 27, 2007, 02:50 AM
Evolved Member

whats everyones view on the evo gear box? i have to say, i really like the STi tranny, it feels very mechanical and solid. i find the evo very "soft" in comparison. can it take alot of abuse?
Old Feb 27, 2007, 03:37 AM

I have always had second gear issues with my IX, I broke it in properly and even changed my fluid to the BG fluid and it still grinds when shifting fast. I work on cars for a living so I know how the dealers are, I have been down that road for 5 years. I guess it will have to grind its *** off untill I just sell the car since I dont want a hackster working on it...... If it breaks then that will be another issue I guess
Old Feb 27, 2007, 03:46 AM
Account Disabled

Do you drive with your hand on the shifter?

Quick Reply: Third Gear Grind.....Are Evo's Junk??