Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

MY oil dipstick is poping out causeing Mager Problems plesae Help

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2007, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a link to Buschur's original thread regarding the dipstick popping out https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...light=dipstick. It can happen because of all of the reasons listed,clogged PCV,bad rings, or high boost etc.. Either way a compression test can give you some peace of mind. If it turns out you have good compression buy one of the two options presented above to solve the problem. FWIW I have one on both my Evo (8K miles) and Galant VR4 (1200 miles on fresh motor).
Old May 2, 2007, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why dont you just take it back to the factory you have a 10 year warranty on it...that power train related...
Old May 2, 2007, 12:50 AM
Evolving Member

Well you had better find a mod friendly dealer if you do that. I can see it being voided just for the HKS intake and the 'shifty can of some type with hoses connected to the engine'
Old May 2, 2007, 12:52 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO+IX+MR+SE
why dont you just take it back to the factory you have a 10 year warranty on it...that power train related...
you got a warranty NO WAY DUDE!!!! I want one! haha
Old May 2, 2007, 12:58 AM
Evolved Member

Your engine is fine, The o-rings at the top of dipstick is getting old and drying up and shrinking, Just order the dipstick spring or order new o-rings from mitsu, No need to have your engine rebuilt via the advice of e-mechanics. Wow there is a lot of drama on this thread, No comp checks needed or anything like that. You can sleep at night now, Everything is fine{.thumbup}

Last edited by xspsi4; May 2, 2007 at 12:59 AM. Reason: rr
Old May 2, 2007, 01:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
mager, LOLOLOL. seriously, only one thing could be pushin that stick out and thats too much pressure, maybe under load, there's too much boost? headbolts? head gasket? blowby? none of which are good.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Had the dipstick pop out happen for the first time today. Engine had oil surrounding the area by the dipstick.
The engine is fully built with less than 8k miles on it and i am on speed density so the tube coming off the side of the valve cover no longer has anywhere to connect to since the 4 inch intake doenst have a port or a fitting to connect to. I thiught about tapping the intake tube for a connection to the tube that goes to the valve cover.

If i get a dual port catch can with a breather filter on top i suppose one tube goes to the side of the valve cover and the other one goes to the back of the valve cover.
Do i delete the pcv valve?
Do i cap the intake manifold if i delete the pcv valve?

Any help wouod be greatly appreciated....
Old Oct 3, 2016, 08:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
There's so many threads related to this. There's also a sticky on crankcase pressure.
1. Read it.
2. Celebrate the New Year, cause that's how long it'll take to read.
3. Consider others solutions, and design your own crankcase ventilation system.
4. Enjoy a oil free engine bay, hopefully. If not, refer to step 1.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

I did some research and it looks like the best bet is a sealed 2 port catch can and to run 1 hose to the side of the valve cover and 1 hose to the back of the valve cover deleting the pcv valve and capping the intake mainfold..
Old Nov 26, 2016, 07:57 AM

Yes there is the spring correction or you could do like we used to on dsm's and just crimp the dip stick tube. This used to happen on DSMs all the time, it even caused a few fires.... I would correct it either way. Maybe tape it until you get it corrected.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Ude Lose
I did some research and it looks like the best bet is a sealed 2 port catch can and to run 1 hose to the side of the valve cover and 1 hose to the back of the valve cover deleting the pcv valve and capping the intake mainfold..
If the engine isn't broken the best bet is a working PCV valve and better venting.