Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need part number for HVAC light bulbs....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2007, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need part number for HVAC light bulbs....

Just as the title says i'm in need of a part number/ bulb number for the HVAC controls. There are two bulbs and I believe they are the same two bulbs that are found in the ashtray and cigarette lighter. Dealer wants $9.99 a piece for these small litle bulbs!! However there is a local automotive store near my house the specializes in hard to get foreign car parts and they have pretty much every bulb in stock but they just need the part number since it's not listed in their computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 17, 2007, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dont even have to do that. Go to your local pep boys or autozone or Kragen and look for bulb #74. Those will fit. Just make sure you pull out the old bulb from the bulb holder (the glass part actually pulls out) and insert replacements.

good luck.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Ya... get yourself a marker or little red condoms and make that ish RED to match your odometer gauges.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by antics22
dont even have to do that. Go to your local pep boys or autozone or Kragen and look for bulb #74. Those will fit. Just make sure you pull out the old bulb from the bulb holder (the glass part actually pulls out) and insert replacements.

good luck.
really? I didn't even know that... I'll go check today
Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by antics22

good luck.
Unless they changed it after the 03 models, I've taken the HVAC cluster completely apart and you cannot just pull out the bulbs. They have to be twisted out from the back. Also they are a custom mitsubishi bulb you cannot find in autopart stores.

Last edited by rcheung; Jul 17, 2007 at 12:45 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Really I pulled the bulbs right out when I took the cluster apart. You need to twist from the back if you want to pull out the socket but the bulb pulls right out. They should be exactly the same so i'm going to investigate later today.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMEVOLUTION
Really I pulled the bulbs right out when I took the cluster apart. You need to twist from the back if you want to pull out the socket but the bulb pulls right out. They should be exactly the same so i'm going to investigate later today.
Yes thats exactly what I meant. You have to twist out from the back then they pull right out. They do not just pull out from the glass part like the #74 bulbs would.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rcheung
Yes thats exactly what I meant. You have to twist out from the back then they pull right out. They do not just pull out from the glass part like the #74 bulbs would.
Well what i'm saying is that you don't have to twist out from the back. I pulled mine out from the front by just grabbing the bulbs (these were the factory bulbs). They are just really really small wedge bulbs...
Old Jul 17, 2007, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMEVOLUTION
Well what i'm saying is that you don't have to twist out from the back. I pulled mine out from the front by just grabbing the bulbs (these were the factory bulbs). They are just really really small wedge bulbs...
Are you sure you didn't dislodge the bulb from the base? The bulb and socket come as one unit. Can you just as easily put it back? BTW I found the part number for the bulb its MR568787.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
If you want to go custom go with this guy http://www.lightrikz.com/index.htm
Old Jul 17, 2007, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

I got a pic of the bulb. The bulb and the base are one unit. If you just pull out the bulb without twisting off from the back you just broke it and still have to go in the back and twist the base to get it out.

Old Jul 18, 2007, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

I've never removed the back of the plate. I always just pulled the bulb right out. I never had a problem with anything braking. Infact I just replaced my bulbs with the LED kit offered by lightrikz. I also tried to use the #74 bulb from autozone and it worked great, but i opted to use LED so they won't burn out again.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Then I guess they have changed them since 03.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Well the funny thing is that my HVAC bulbs didn't burn out, the ashtry and the cigarette lighter bulbs burnt out. Since it's easier to get to the HVAC bulbs out I just swapped them when I had my console apart. They are wedge bulbs, pull right out and put them back in. It's really weird to believe that they change the bulbs from 03 to 05....
Old Jul 21, 2007, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

*Update*

I went to Autozone and bought bulb #74 and it seemed to work just fine. The problem is that the bulb is just slightly bigger around so you need to wedge it in there just a bit. I put the blue condom's on it and for some reason the color was slightly off, it think this is due to bulb #74 being a bit brighter than the factory bulb. Since it didn't match perfectly I went to the dealer and bought two replacement bulbs from them.

I just wanted to clear up some rumors that are going around. The bulbs that I purchased are the same bulbs shown in the picture that rcheung posted. 03-06 evo's all use the same bulb. The base does come with the bulb because they "can" unscrew from the back. However they do pop out without breaking the bulb. The bulb is not a part of the base, it's a wedge bulb. It's also much easier to take it out of the front then to pull of the entire assembly and unscrew it from the back.

Funny thing is that the dealer didn't even realize this. When the parts manager gave me the bulb I asked if the bulb popped out and he said no. I brought in the burnt out bulb and he thought that was weird I had a different bulb. He then popped the new one out from the base so they are not fixed in there as some people think.