Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Cost to keep up with ZO6?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2007, 08:33 AM
awr
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Links0000
Another ZO6 vs. EVO thread
yup
Old Sep 2, 2007, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

I had a daily driver that would easily run with Z06s on a Road Course. My mods are listed below, and the vids attached show proof of running with both a C5 Z06's and C6 Z06 on slicks. The C6 Z06 was in TTU, and my car with mods was classed in TTB for NASA Time Attack.

In this old vid from Road Atlanta, there are several C5 Z06's, all modded and running on slicks.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...80048672408888

In the next old vid, you will find several Z06's (C5), and a C6 Z06 at @10m into the vid.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...03843212165568

Again, these vids are shot during a time trial, so we weren't racing for position. There are more than a few spots where I 'hold' back, to allow the slower cars to keep line, as not to hurt their time. Also, the brakes on my car kept melting down, so I could drill the corners, but I was still moving at a good clip. I think I have posted this about 10 times, I am not sure why it hasn't been referenced.

The net here is a properly setup Evo, CAN run with a stock, to lightly modded Z06 of any generation, provided, the track doesn't have a two mile straight for the Z to stretch it's legs. My Evo was no where near as modded as others, and in these vids I was running on a set of used RA1s with something like 14 autocrosses on them. The only thing I don't think is listed is the time AMS spent corner weighting my car, but other than that, all mods are noted.

What really matters isn't car, what really matters is the driver. We have all seen the vids of WRX's running with Z's, because the Z driver wouldn't power shift, or wouldn't red line, whatever. The Z is a formidable machine, and besides the Evo, is one of the cars that can turn an average Joe into a track day superstar.

Last edited by Stop&TurnFreak; Sep 2, 2007 at 09:03 AM.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
By the time you have an Evo that can hands down beat the Z06 on pump gas on the steet, strip, or road course you've probably spent close to 75-80% of the cost of the new Z06.

I personally would much rather have a Z06 than an Evo that is FASTER than one. You've got a warranty, great driveablility, the V8 sound, a technologically superior car, better interior (and styling IMO) as well as the potential to throw a few grand on there and put yourself in untouchable territory. These threads are useless. Stop trying to beat Z06's and just be happy with your car and how it performs. You will need to be trapping at least 125ish btw to try to take on from a roll to about those speeds. How much that costs depends on alot of things but on a Mustang Dyno you will need to be making around 450whp to trap 125.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jenx1976
check this one out....but im confused...i thought the fq400 is faster than the murcielago????
http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonb...times/thestig/
Dont forget the FQ was tested on a wet track while the other 2 were on dry pavement.

I think if you put equal (clubman) drivers in the cars on a road track the Evo would probably hold it's own or lead the way on the Z06, maybe not the Lamborghini.
More hp isnt usually the key to good speed around a race track and high HP RWD cars take alot of talent to go fast in.

When I went to my first HPDE event I rode along with my instructor in an advanced session we literally lapped a viper on race slicks along with 10 other bad *** cars including porsche's and corvettes. When I asked about the viper and why it was so slow he just responded "That's alot of car to drive". We were in his wife's Mini Cooper S because his porsche was broke down that weekend.

Now in the 1/4 mile Well C6 Z06's normally can run in the 11's (most dont, again more HP doesnt always add up to faster unless you can get it to the ground).. it doesnt take much to make an 11 second Evo but I would say small turbo upgrade would be the easiest way.. GT30, 50trim, maybe even a Green with meth.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JordanS4
By the time you have an Evo that can hands down beat the Z06 on pump gas on the steet, strip, or road course you've probably spent close to 75-80% of the cost of the new Z06.

I personally would much rather have a Z06 than an Evo that is FASTER than one. You've got a warranty, great driveablility, the V8 sound, a technologically superior car, better interior (and styling IMO) as well as the potential to throw a few grand on there and put yourself in untouchable territory. These threads are useless. Stop trying to beat Z06's and just be happy with your car and how it performs. You will need to be trapping at least 125ish btw to try to take on from a roll to about those speeds. How much that costs depends on alot of things but on a Mustang Dyno you will need to be making around 450whp to trap 125.
Well spoken.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sEvoIXnTurboS2k
Well spoken.
I would agree with most statements, except the technology one. The motor, yes, the use of weight reduction, yes, but with regard to suspension and geometry, umm, no. It is the SAME technology used for years by most car makers, and has been scrapped by most high-end cars. However, because it is light, and because it has a LOW center of gravity (by moving the motor back and down), physics is on it's side. Just wait for the new Skyline, word is it has already beat the Z06 tiem around the ring, and it did it on a general lapping (rather than private track) day on a conservative tune, meaning, less than what they are supposed to have stock. That will be a more fair comparison, with regarrd to price, performance, etc.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

getting a 4 banger to beat and 8 banger with 3-4 times the displacment would be such a rewarding effort though.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
stop & turn you are correct the suspension technology may be less superior stock for stock v. the Evo. I was only thinking motor/weight/aero but I agree most American cars have terrible suspensions (see Ford and solid rear axle).

If the rumors about the Skyline are true, it looks like I will have a new car to lust over.

It is great to see the look on the Z06 drivers faces when you beat them in a little riced out econo box. +1 on that. However its apples to oranges there. You do not want to see a Lingenfelter TT on the street
Old Sep 2, 2007, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Z06 a GT class sports car is it's main purpose ...but it can be set up to drag race...and run in Mile run shootouts.

Evo is a Rally car that can be set up to RR and drag race.

Bottom Line is you have two great performance cars that are in their respected Class of cars. A great "bang for the buck" beating cars costing 1-4 times the $$ of both cars.

I feel very lucky to own both cars.

Old Sep 2, 2007, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

stop & turn you are correct the suspension technology may be less superior stock for stock v. the Evo. I was only thinking motor/weight/aero but I agree most American cars have terrible suspensions (see Ford and solid rear axle).

If the rumors about the Skyline are true, it looks like I will have a new car to lust over.

It is great to see the look on the Z06 drivers faces when you beat them in a little riced out econo box. +1 on that. However its apples to oranges there. You do not want to see a Lingenfelter TT on the street
I get the same feeling when I beat a 150k new 997TT Porsche ( 2 good runs ) with my Z06 costing half the price or the built Mustang with a 300 shot with the Evo....yeah it feels good....and of course we were on a track It's all realitive.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 01:24 PM

i love our Evos but the c6 z06 is a BEAST!!! and imo worth the money!
Old Sep 2, 2007, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Stop&TurnFreak
I would agree with most statements, except the technology one. The motor, yes, the use of weight reduction, yes, but with regard to suspension and geometry, umm, no. It is the SAME technology used for years by most car makers, and has been scrapped by most high-end cars. However, because it is light, and because it has a LOW center of gravity (by moving the motor back and down), physics is on it's side. Just wait for the new Skyline, word is it has already beat the Z06 tiem around the ring, and it did it on a general lapping (rather than private track) day on a conservative tune, meaning, less than what they are supposed to have stock. That will be a more fair comparison, with regarrd to price, performance, etc.

We can start a E-bet on that right now. The only way it is even remotely feasible is if there were huge tire discrepencies. I think the Skyline will underperform in many ways unless the rumors prove to be false. The car was benchmarked by the last series 911 TT I expect similiar performance, but a C6 Z06 killer it will not be.

Stop N Turn freak you and I both know when it comes to road racing brakes, tire, and most of all the driver mod. Your car was very fast, but I wonder what you could do in a Z06 they are mighty impressive.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

From what I have read online (and take that at what it is worth), the new Porsche was 7.43, the Z06 was 7.48, and the Skyline was in the 7:50's (and I am OLD, so my memory IS not the best). The magazine, and I think it was either Road and Track or MotorTrend, said they confirmed, the mule in use was underpowered. Now, that being said, Physics still favors the Z06, ligther, more HP, and lower COG, but the Skyline does have tremendous grip from the AWD mid corner. Don't know, it would be like the movie, any given sunday, depending on conditions, it could routinely go either way.

Originally Posted by Jasil
We can start a E-bet on that right now. The only way it is even remotely feasible is if there were huge tire discrepencies. I think the Skyline will underperform in many ways unless the rumors prove to be false. The car was benchmarked by the last series 911 TT I expect similiar performance, but a C6 Z06 killer it will not be.

Stop N Turn freak you and I both know when it comes to road racing brakes, tire, and most of all the driver mod. Your car was very fast, but I wonder what you could do in a Z06 they are mighty impressive.
First, thanks for the kudos, I miss my Evo, and have actually been trolling trying to find it on car trader, but no luck . FWIW though, I did try to get a new Z, but missed purchasing it by 20m, I ran home to get my wife, and when I came back, another buy showed up with $$$$, and he paid something obscene like +25k over sticker. I was getting it at the 'good ole boy' discount, because it had sat for almost a year, and the owner was a good friend.

But, as was said earlier, it ALWAYS comes down to driver, if you want to mod something, tighten the nut behind the wheel.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by WICKed'N'EVO
getting a 4 banger to beat and 8 banger with 3-4 times the displacment would be such a rewarding effort though.
ahh he speaks truth!

altho the new z06 is no joke.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 08:40 PM

It is funny how a lot of people with EVO's think that their stock turbo can keep up with X car.

The c6 Z06 is not a car to take lightly, even in stock form this car is very serious. (As it should be at its price). Even a 50trim turbo would have to be completely maxed out, and even then I would say that a stock c6 z06 would take it on top end.

Personally I think it would take a 60trim - 35R to take out a z06, and that isn't on pump gas either. (Unless you consider E-85, then you are talking pump gas).

I have 2 friends with new Z0's, and I have a few friends with EVO's. It isn't a pretty sight watching a beating of the car you come to love.

I would say it would take around 10-12k in mods to do the job. That is what I have in my car.

Quick Reply: Cost to keep up with ZO6?