Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Wondering to buy S2000 or EVO IX MR?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2007, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm thx for the insight lanevoix! definitely comes to what i need... well even if i did get either 1 i can still drive my sis car which she left, for daily use like going to school/work.. hmm now im confused.

can S2000 modded with FI take on evo on the street... as far as i know stock S cant take on EVO on the street. im not planning to take it to race track and beat the **** out of the car hahaha..

btw this is the first time i found forum very helpful!
Old Sep 12, 2007, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the S2000 an awful lot, but the Evo is simply a better overall car. If you don't think you'll ever need 4 seats, all wheel drive, or a big trunk, then by all means go with the S2000. They're supposed to be ridiculously fun/satisfying to drive (I hope to score a test drive in the near future). If you need any of that, though, consider this: R&T tested a IX MR and a Porsche Cayman S head-to-head and the Evo actually posted the fastest lap of the day, though just barely. So yeah, you can rest easy in the knowledge that, even if it doesn't feel like it, the Evo can more than hold its own against the S2000 in any sort of race.

Mine has 9,000 miles without any problems whatsoever, but that's not saying much at all. However, there are members who have gone 80,000 miles or more with no major issues, and that's including the clutch. Take good care of it and it's about as reliable as they come. As for modifications, yeah, there are plenty of horror stories, but I like to think that, like anything on the internet, it's not as bad as people make it seem. When I bought my IX MR, everyone at the dealership I spoke to told me they could/would only void some aspect of the warranty if what I modified specifically caused the problem, which is in fact the law. I'm installing my first mod, a GReddy Ti-C catback, next week, so I'm not certain they'll actually follow through with what they told me, but I'm not concerned. Some dealerships are just much cooler than others. Don't dismiss the car based on a horror story from a particular dealership.

Hope that helps.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 12:18 PM

I was in the same boat too for the wife's car. The decision was easy after riding/driving both. Even at a meer 5'10", I feel cramped in the s2k. the worst part is no space. For her DD it was a instant deal killer.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by omajin
The problem i started to like S2k is for the reason that the So Cal Dealer are damn shady.. can you imagine 06 car brand new is more expensive, they tricked me by saying its 33,999 and when i got there to actually buy it, it was all suddenly on hold. they say other ppl put deposits oon them its rare!! so if i want to buy it i have to give a better offer.. Lol wtf kind of dealer is that.. if you want to know what the dealer is i can send you a pm..

One more thing im pissed off at is the condition of all 4 "brand new evo" is bad, exterior wise. the paints are all scratched up as if they washed it with cloth filled sand, many key scratched marks and dings here and there. they leave it outside on the sun so it was really obvious and thank God it is sunny that morning.

Doing more research i found that alot of mitsu evo owners have been dissapointed by the service and warranty issues of the dealer. Its around this forum somewhere im sure ive read it.

well coz this is practically my real first car ever other than driving my sis car. i dont want to regret picking up either the S2000 or EVO IX MR...

and btw i wont buy them from the dealer i wont even go there anymore, even if they have the color i wanted and lower the price. i would rather find some private seller. Mitsu dealers are shady!!!

According to my friend he would rather get a S2K with that amount of budget to spend.. simply because its a sport car, and quoting "not some upgraded lancer".
and he also said that it is very nice for a inline 4 to generate 286 hp w/ turbo, but the tear and wear will also be big...

im not sure about this so enlighten me pls!!
I'm going to try not to whip out the surgical knives here and tear up your friends opinion

first off... the 4g63 does NOT stress over making the power it does stock or anywhere near stock. I've seen 500+whp evo's run as daily drivers with no problem. I'm not going to say it's better than a honda engine but it's probably the best {mits} engine out there. It's been painstakingly perfected since it's birth back in '91.
secondly... handling? s2k is a bad *** handling track car. And although I'm sure some people will unwittingly and ignorantly say that it's a great drift car as well and how much fun that is... the s2k is NOT a drift car. It was made to be a road car like the Evo. Also, I'm sorry, it is not superior to an ACD equipped Evo driven by a noob!
Thirdly... I'd highly recommend you not buy an Evo - or s2k for that matter - used if you can help it. These cars are fun and they are most fun when they are pushed to the edge of sanity. So mostly likely, a used one will have had that done to it by god knows who in god knows what way.
Forth... do not expect to mod the hell out of the s2k and keep the warranty. NO dealer will warranty a flashed car for example.
Fifth... Either way you go, you're going to end up with a great car for different reasons and applications.

I wish you the best in your purchase my friend. Oh and btw, the Evo IX is becoming harder and harder to find new and the SE and MR SE are even more so. If you have any other questions, keep them coming. I hope I helped with what I know of having dealt with both manufacturers and both cars. Like I said, I love mits and honda... for different reasons. Your choice set up is nice, it's a win win situation
Old Sep 12, 2007, 12:21 PM

How important is RWD vs AWD for you? The selling point of the EVO and the reason for buying one is its AWD performance and handles, and also to be considered is the sheer potential of the 4G63T platform.

If you want an AWD monster, get the Evo.

If you want a RWD car with equal power and handles, the S2k will demand a lot more work and money from you.

can S2000 modded with FI take on evo on the street...
Depends on how modded. You're definitely spending several grand for the FI setup and supporting mods to accomodate those PSI... Whereas, with the Evo if you put that same money into power mods you'll probably still be 50-200HP ahead of that FI S2K depending on the fuel you're using.

That's all very general and theoretical but that's the basic gist of it. It's almost always more expensive to turbo an NA car than it is to make a turbo car faster, and in the Evo's case, it is so damn ready for you to make it faster that it's almost no contest.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
evo for performance
s2k for looks and pimpness
Old Sep 12, 2007, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by omajin
can S2000 modded with FI take on evo on the street... as far as i know stock S cant take on EVO on the street. im not planning to take it to race track and beat the **** out of the car hahaha..
In a word, no. A stock S2000 can run the 1/4 mile in the low 14s @ 100 mph or so. A stock IX MR can run it in the low 13s @103 mph or so. Not too big of a difference stock, but get into basic mods and the S2000 can't touch the Evo. There isn't much you can do to the S2000 in terms of power without going forced induction, which is pretty expensive. A IX MR, on the other hand, can put down 350 awhp and run mid-11s @ 114 mph or so with nothing more than a good tune, turboback exhaust, intake, and boost controller (under $2k in parts).
Old Sep 12, 2007, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so how much money would it take for an s2k to run 11s in a 1/4 mile vs an Evo.

Old Sep 12, 2007, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dexmix
so how much money would it take for an s2k to run 11s in a 1/4 mile vs an Evo.

wild guess here... about 7k for the turbo/super charger and it's FMIC and piping
about another 1k for boost control, circulation and intake
about another 1k easy for exhaust and...
compound tires from Satan ... 1k

so that's roughly 10 grand right there to get it to do so without over stressing the rev happy k-series engine. For half that.. literally half that... a MIVEC'd Evo IX can push 400+ to the wheels ..... easily!
Old Sep 12, 2007, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If im not mistaken the engine that is in the s2k is same as lotus elise....... correct me if im wrong. lol thats above honda's hands on engine design.

awd 4dr turbo ftmfw
Old Sep 12, 2007, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaonashi
If im not mistaken the engine that is in the s2k is same as lotus elise....... correct me if im wrong. lol thats above honda's hands on engine design.

awd 4dr turbo ftmfw
Lotus = Toyota

EDIT: In my previous comment, when I said K-series, I was talking about the K20 Honda engine. You're probably thinking of the k-series Rover engine in the lotus..... Exige I think?

Last edited by lords3t; Sep 12, 2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lords3t
Lotus = Toyota
Yes but im pretty positive i read that the s2000 using some engine part or something from the lotus.... ill look it up

Or perhaps it was my imagination lol.

Last edited by kaonashi; Sep 12, 2007 at 12:50 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

lol actually come to think of it... The s2000 didn't even take the rsx engine anyway. I think it's actually running the F20/22C if I'm not mistaken
Old Sep 12, 2007, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lords3t
lol actually come to think of it... The s2000 didn't even take the rsx engine anyway. I think it's actually running the F20/22C if I'm not mistaken
yeah 00-03 was f20c and later 03-03 was f22c1

K series is in ep3's and Dc5's
Old Sep 12, 2007, 12:54 PM

Only one reason to get an S2K in my book....
You can put the top down.

Quick Reply: Wondering to buy S2000 or EVO IX MR?