Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I Need Help Fast!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2007, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Need Help Fast!!!

i think i might have short circuited my car or blown some fuses. i have an HKS Turbo Timer w/ Harness installed on my car and i recently installed a Viper 791xv alarm as well. i was testing voltages on the turbo timer harness (the one that extends the ignition harness) and i think i cut into the 12v constant wire (i was using wire cutters) because it sparked! now the 12v constant wire reads 0! i've tested a few electrical things in my car and my door lock/unlock, headlights, interior lights, and horn still work. i really hope i can solve this by replacing some fuses. i don't want to have to replace wires or anything. please help!

Last edited by bboy_RES; Dec 22, 2007 at 12:55 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

well i checked the fuse box under the hood and it looks like i blew the 40 amp fuse. i'm gonna try to buy a new one and see if that fixes the problem.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

Repair the wires that you nipped. Fill them with solder and wrap them with a shrink wrap or electrical tape. Search for that blown fuse and replace it. I hate electrical work, but this is a good starting place for the trouble shooting.

anyone else chime in?
Old Dec 22, 2007, 01:35 PM

Just make sure to fix the wire before putting the fuse back in...
Old Dec 22, 2007, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

disconnect negative battery terminal before you do anything.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

yeah i didn't fully cut the wire. i was using a 10awg wire cutter and right when the wire became exposed it sparked. i just wrapped it with electrical tape. hopefully replacing the fuse solves the problem because i'm supposed to be at work in 15 minutes. i told them i'd be running a little late though.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bboy_RES
yeah i didn't fully cut the wire. i was using a 10awg wire cutter and right when the wire became exposed it sparked. i just wrapped it with electrical tape. hopefully replacing the fuse solves the problem because i'm supposed to be at work in 15 minutes. i told them i'd be running a little late though.
Because you didnt fully cut the wire doesn't mean it will work the same. you just cause high resistance in that wire. If i were you i would def. either replace the wire or repair it.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eclipsegsx012
Because you didnt fully cut the wire doesn't mean it will work the same. you just cause high resistance in that wire. If i were you i would def. either replace the wire or repair it.
+1
Old Dec 22, 2007, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

problem solved! thanks for the input guys.