Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car wont start, need help fast!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2008, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vankuen
I understand what you're saying; however even AMS tuned my car in 3rd gear the majority of the time. He also did a couple runs in 2nd and 4th, but primarily he tuned third. So perhaps it's not as uncommon or "bad" as your statement implies.

But I know what your saying with the load ratio. I think 5th is the highest load on the car though isn't it? We tuned the EBC in that gear.

____

Now in reference to the original thread creator...man...sorry to hear about all your troubles. To be honest though--it sounds like a lot of it was brought on my inexperience/ignorance on both your part and your tuner's part. Personally I would have done A LOT more research into what's entailed and necessary before installing stuff in my engine. Then again--I was having trouble building my rear KW's because I was a little misinformed myself--so it happens.

In your situation, I'd take it to a competent tuner; hopefully you have one in your area. I'd also agree that it has more to do with your EMS than anything else or at the very least some perhiphial aspect of it.

Good luck. You'll need it.
Thanks for the quick reply, It was partially my fault and partially misinformation. I was under the impression that these cams were safe to run w/o the springs and retainers, but obviously its not. So now im going back and fixing all the issues that we had next time i go back to CFT to get tuned. I should of researched a little more previously.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone else? any ideas?
Old Jan 13, 2008, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

Damn thats sh!tty.....honestly though, you should really learn how to work on the car before modifying it to this level or you'll be in for alot of heartache
Old Jan 13, 2008, 09:27 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The AEM rom chip that you needed was taken out of my personal AEM 1313 box and given to CFT. You are welcome. I hope they can replace my chip like they stated they would. I wanted to make sure that you could get your car tuned and back home safely without getting stuck in Orlando from your loose mini battery terminal.

We never recommend over 8000rpms on cosworth M2 camshafts and stock valvetrain. We always state this to our customers. Absent of this information, you should not be revving stock rod bolts over 8000rpms on a regular basis either. Cosworth does NOT recommend valvesprings and retainers to the stock limit of 7606rpms. We have tested tens of Evo's to 8000rpms on Cosworth M2 272/272 camshafts and never had a problem. To reiterate, we do not recommend rev limits higher than 8000rpms on M2's and stock springs and retainers. Our standard rev limit for our custom tuning is 7849rpms.

CFT is a cosworth dealer and I think if they were aware you had stock valvetrain, that they would not have pushed high boost and the rpms over 8000. You should have made sure they were aware of this.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
The AEM rom chip that you needed was taken out of my personal AEM 1313 box and given to CFT. You are welcome. I hope they can replace my chip like they stated they would. I wanted to make sure that you could get your car tuned and back home safely without getting stuck in Orlando from your loose mini battery terminal.

We never recommend over 8000rpms on cosworth M2 camshafts and stock valvetrain. We always state this to our customers. Absent of this information, you should not be revving stock rod bolts over 8000rpms on a regular basis either. Cosworth does NOT recommend valvesprings and retainers to the stock limit of 7606rpms. We have tested tens of Evo's to 8000rpms on Cosworth M2 272/272 camshafts and never had a problem. To reiterate, we do not recommend rev limits higher than 8000rpms on M2's and stock springs and retainers. Our standard rev limit for our custom tuning is 7849rpms.

CFT is a cosworth dealer and I think if they were aware you had stock valvetrain, that they would not have pushed high boost and the rpms over 8000. You should have made sure they were aware of this.
Oh thanks i thought they said they ended up using some elses aem box, I appreciate the help, but i think the aem is the cause of my current problem.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 09:49 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally I don't know why you wanted to go AEM, but you already bought it and had your mind made up with an appointment at CFT so.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Well i just pluged my stock ecu back in, hooked up the maf and unpluged the 5bar map sensor and repluged the stock ecu plug on the intake manifold and no luck, it still wont start up.

Any other ideas guys?

Im going to take a video now
Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get your sponsors to fix it
Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nikkadanny
get your sponsors to fix it
As stated leave ignorant immature comments to your self.

If its not on topic, dont post it.

Any other ideas?
Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Just now i got it to start up and and had it revving to about 3000 rpm while off and on the gas, once i let my foot off the gas it died. also this is with my aem ems plugged back in, and the stock maf sensor on and pluged in

the sound was a sort of deep loud sound. sounded almost as thou i didnt have n exhaust. the cam lope was really loud also.

also i didnt get a chance to pull a spark plug to see if thats it. but could bad spark plugs cause this sort of issue?

Last edited by Pure Playaer; Jan 13, 2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

update bump
Old Jan 13, 2008, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

just go pull the dam plugs see whats going on....
Old Jan 13, 2008, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bluebyu36
just go pull the dam plugs see whats going on....
i dont have anyway to loosen them nothing that will reach that low
Old Jan 13, 2008, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

my .02 .... maybe instead of buying an AEM EMS or a meth kit you should have gone to Sears and spent a couple of bux on a mechanics tool set. Seriously dude...
Old Jan 13, 2008, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Frickin AEM..
/salute Motec
..sorry couldnt help myself.
Is there anyone local who could check out your startup?
Or simply, idk about AEM, but I know my Motec has data logging, so if you can do that, send your logs to your tuner. And then hopefully they can send you back the files. It really does sound like a common AEM problem Ive seen locally.
I dont think plugging stock ECU, without some modifying, will start up right away. Its so hard to tell what needs to be on and whats not since noone else is there besides you.
Check for the little things like people are saying... tubing, maf sensor. Kinda sounds like a TPS... look at your intake manifold, and look all the way to the back right of it, youll see a little sensor there. make sure it is completely pushed down.

Last edited by cloudy; Jan 13, 2008 at 11:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Car wont start, need help fast!