Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car wont start, need help fast!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2008, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cloudy
Frickin AEM..
/salute Motec
..sorry couldnt help myself.
Is there anyone local who could check out your startup?
Or simply, idk about AEM, but I know my Motec has data logging, so if you can do that, send your logs to your tuner. And then hopefully they can send you back the files. It really does sound like a common AEM problem Ive seen locally.
the thing is i pluged in my stock ecu and it still wouldnt start, then i pluged in my aem again and it was working
Old Jan 13, 2008, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Check my post again, edited a few.
You really do need a tool set, but it doesnt sound like spark plugs.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Frickin AEM..
/salute Motec
..sorry couldnt help myself.
Is there anyone local who could check out your startup?
Or simply, idk about AEM, but I know my Motec has data logging, so if you can do that, send your logs to your tuner. And then hopefully they can send you back the files. It really does sound like a common AEM problem Ive seen locally.
I dont think plugging stock ECU, without some modifying, will start up right away. Its so hard to tell what needs to be on and whats not since noone else is there besides you.
Check for the little things like people are saying... tubing, maf sensor. Kinda sounds like a TPS... look at your intake manifold, and look all the way to the back right of it, youll see a little sensor there. make sure it is completely pushed down.
hey man

i checked the sensor its plugged it, also im trying to get a video of what its doing but my stupid camera isnt working.

any other ideas? its starting up if i keep my foot all the way on the gas, it will rev if i rev it, then it will die if i let my foot off the gas. I dont have a laptop to log the aem or i would of did that already.

When it revs it sounds very different lounder and harsher.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

A) AEM is dumping too much fuel. B) Spun a bearing or something else from Over Rev. Do you hear a slapping noise at all? C) Anything loose pipeing, maf sensor, ect.
I really think its AEM though.
If you really want to tell if its engine problem... Drain your oil and see if you see any metal shavings in it.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Prolly bent up some ****...... AEM is such a overkill for a setup like yourself. YOur also such a novice when it comes to cars and tuning that you should have not went that route. Stop bumpin your thread and take it back to TTP and let them fix your **** at whatever the cost and get rid of that AEM because your not ready for it! I guarantee you phucked your internals up revving to 8200 on a stock valvetrain!
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

A) AEM is dumping too much fuel. B) Spun a bearing or something else from Over Rev. Do you hear a slapping noise at all? C) Anything loose pipeing, maf sensor, ect.
I really think its AEM though.
If you really want to tell if its engine problem... Drain your oil and see if you see any metal shavings in it.
unfortunately it just started pouring raining so i cant do anything engine oriented.

as far as the aem dumping too much fuel, how could it just suddenly start doing that? car was running fine until i did a pull.

im gunna do the oil thing soon thou
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by denny424
Prolly bent up some ****...... AEM is such a overkill for a setup like yourself. YOur also such a novice when it comes to cars and tuning that you should have not went that route. Stop bumpin your thread and take it back to TTP and let them fix your **** at whatever the cost and get rid of that AEM because your not ready for it! I guarantee you phucked your internals up revving to 8200 on a stock valvetrain!
Obviously you have not read everything posted so im just going to ignore this post.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

I have read everything and you are not going to be able to do anything with out a tool set and car knowledge. No one is going to give you the secret answer your looking for and need. Take it to a shop because your not going to be able to fix it in your drive with your car knowledge. I think you are in way over your head my friend!
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Tow the car to TTP and let them take care of it.

AAA FTW!
Old Jan 13, 2008, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

locked or lack of?

Originally Posted by Pure Playaer
What do you mean? The car just slowly, slowed down untill we were slow enough for me to pull the ebrake a little for a complete stop.

Now when i say locked up like someone said before, if you pump the brake in another car it will do like the same sort of lock up, so im not sure if the brakes are really completely locked to the point where i cant stop at all, or if they just feel really tough.
This is what locked brakes look like sir.

Old Jan 13, 2008, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

ok then i dont know the exact terminology for it, but the brakes are extremely stiff untill ig et the car on
Old Jan 13, 2008, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

What kind of sound is it making,Kinda like a puffing sound, knocking sound, ETC...
Make sure you check your oil first, check the dip stick and the oil cap to make sure you didnt pop the head gasket.if you did then you will see a bunch of creamy white crap on everything. next check to see if you have a boost leak and go from there.You really should take it somewhere and have them check everything out,if you get some tools you can search all the how to's and do some of the basic things your self.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

It really sounds like you have too much fuel being injected to your car. Either because

1) AEM is dumping more fuel, which i think is unlikely because a program cannot change itself.

2) you have a shorted or bad injector that is just dumping fuel into the cylinder

3) Intercooler piping has blown off (i think this is most likely) which will trick your car into thinking there is much more air going into the engine that there is

4) MAF sensor is bad

5) a few of your spark plugs are fouled up and not working.

I really don't understand why you don't have basic tools to take spark-plugs out. Go to Autozone, get a 5/8" spark plug socket, 8" extension, 3/8" Socket wrench, and a 10mm & 12mm socket, and a 10mm & 12mm wreches. with those 7 tools you can almost take your car apart and do everything you need to do to see if your problem is spark plugs or not.

Im guessing you don't have an air compressor, but what you should do is take off your intake filter and blow air into the pipe to see if it builds pressure or if you hear air gushing out somewhere. Then pull your plugs to see if anything is obviously f-ed up.

Please stop trying to start your car over and over without fixing anything.

As everyone else has stated, your brakes have nothing to do with this problem. Your brakes will become very stiff when the car is not on because they are vacuum assisted.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy Christ.

A car needs three things to run: air, fuel, and spark. If your car doesn't turn over or stay on--it's likely that one of those components is either lacking or not there altogether.

Now considering that you can rev the car and keep it running, and the only time it will die is when you stop revving the gas pedal...I'd say that clue should point you in the right direction or at least allow for a mechanic to have an idea of where to look.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eag36
It really sounds like you have too much fuel being injected to your car. Either because

1) AEM is dumping more fuel, which i think is unlikely because a program cannot change itself.

2) you have a shorted or bad injector that is just dumping fuel into the cylinder

3) Intercooler piping has blown off (i think this is most likely) which will trick your car into thinking there is much more air going into the engine that there is

4) MAF sensor is bad

5) a few of your spark plugs are fouled up and not working.

I really don't understand why you don't have basic tools to take spark-plugs out. Go to Autozone, get a 5/8" spark plug socket, 8" extension, 3/8" Socket wrench, and a 10mm & 12mm socket, and a 10mm & 12mm wreches. with those 7 tools you can almost take your car apart and do everything you need to do to see if your problem is spark plugs or not.

Im guessing you don't have an air compressor, but what you should do is take off your intake filter and blow air into the pipe to see if it builds pressure or if you hear air gushing out somewhere. Then pull your plugs to see if anything is obviously f-ed up.

Please stop trying to start your car over and over without fixing anything.

As everyone else has stated, your brakes have nothing to do with this problem. Your brakes will become very stiff when the car is not on because they are vacuum assisted.
thanks for the help man i appreciate it. I have all of the tools, just no long extension thats my only problem.

ill follow your tips

thanks everyone

Quick Reply: Car wont start, need help fast!