Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Seibon Hood Causing A/C Problems??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seibon Hood Causing A/C Problems??

Alright, so I bought my Evo used (it had 6k miles on it), about 5 months ago. The only aftermarket part is came with was a Seibon CF Hood.

This past weekend, I was going to the drag strip and it was the farthest trip I have made so far. About an hour and a half on a hot 95deg. day. I had the AC on mostly the whole way down there, and it was working great.

When we shut off my car, I heard a noise, kind of sounding like liquid was burning on my manifold. I didn't do anything to it, and just thought it was cooling down or something. When I left the strip, I had no AC at all. I had just figured that one of my tubes was loose and all my Freon leaked out. I figured the next day I would take it to the Mitsu. dealership. (story almost done....)

When I took it to the dealership, they said that my radiator was bent, thus causing my condensor to be bent too, and making the freon leak out the top of it (right near the radiator). They said that I will have to buy a new radiator, and condensor, and quoted me like 1,836 for the whole installation w/ parts and tax. Is this really what my problem is?? If so, it may not be worth the $$ just for A/C. I have some pictures I will attach to let you guys see what I'm talking about......Do you think the dumbass who had the car before me just jammed the hood on there and pushed the radiator back or what? I haven't heard about this problem with this hood before? So, here are my questions and the end to my lovely story..and yes, I'm out of warranty.

1-Do I need a new radiator?
2-Do I need a new condenser? Or is Mitsu. just trying to get my $$
3-If I get a new radiator, will my hood mess it up??
4- Does anyone have a picture of the condenser so I can tell what the hell they are talking about?
5-You guys rock for reading all this..!

Here are some pictures, tell me if you need any specific ones.
Attached Thumbnails Seibon Hood Causing A/C Problems??-img_1639.jpg   Seibon Hood Causing A/C Problems??-img_1640.jpg   Seibon Hood Causing A/C Problems??-img_1641.jpg  
Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its hard to tell from the pics what exactly is going on so we r going to have to agree with the dealer. i don't see how its posible for there to be damage to the radiator and condesor unless it had a slight impact in the front.

anyways..

1. you may need a new radiator, are you leaking coolant or overheating?
2. i suggest if a/c doesn't work to eliminate it. not worth the money and it always leaks eventually. take it out and save the weight and gain power. the evo has plenty of power windows so use those
3.no the hood will not damage the radiatior. if anything it would be the other way around
4. no pics but the condensor is simialar to a radiator and fmic in the way it looks. its located in teh front of your car, there should be 3 or 4 finned coolers in the front of ur car behind the front bumper. if you follow ur a/c lines to the front it will bring u to the small radiatior like part
5. thanks. post more questions/ info
Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

I do not think a hood could do that kind of damage. I hope the vehicle was not in a small front end accident. As for the rad/condenser I would think about an aftermarket radiator and a used condenser but get a new dessicant bag. Any vehicle overheating?
Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:15 PM
Former Sponsor

looks like they might be bent. i don't see how the hood could have caused it
Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EatSleepBoost
its hard to tell from the pics what exactly is going on so we r going to have to agree with the dealer. i don't see how its posible for there to be damage to the radiator and condesor unless it had a slight impact in the front.

anyways..

1. you may need a new radiator, are you leaking coolant or overheating?
2. i suggest if a/c doesn't work to eliminate it. not worth the money and it always leaks eventually. take it out and save the weight and gain power. the evo has plenty of power windows so use those
3.no the hood will not damage the radiatior. if anything it would be the other way around
4. no pics but the condensor is simialar to a radiator and fmic in the way it looks. its located in teh front of your car, there should be 3 or 4 finned coolers in the front of ur car behind the front bumper. if you follow ur a/c lines to the front it will bring u to the small radiatior like part
5. thanks. post more questions/ info
1- I'm leaking no coolant and I am not overheating. Not that I know of at-least. The engine does get damn hot though.
3- Maybee the guy before me pryed the radiator out of the way to fit the hood. Thats what it looks like atleast...but why would he do so?
Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:19 PM
Former Sponsor

what are you seeing in the way of temps?
Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by inneedof
what are you seeing in the way of temps?
I'm not sure how I would find out.

Honestly, it doesn't feel any hotter than when I first got the car. But then again it could have been f*cked from the start. I have a tuner that tunes my car and he said that it doesn't seem that hot. I don't know if Temps would show up on Evoscan, because if so, he said everything looks fine on there.

The gauge above the gas gauge (i think a engine temp. gauge) is always right in the middle.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:30 PM
Account Disabled

That sounds ridiculous that a hood could do such a thing...
Old Jun 30, 2008, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

yea id say now just remove a/c and keep an eye for any coolant leaks orr replace ur radiatior with an aftermarket one. would be a nice upgrade to help keep ur car cooler anyways.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

i have yet to use the AC in my car just dont turn it on lol
Old Jul 1, 2008, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

check a car fax...see if it was involved in an accident. if the car fax is clean check your body lines and see if it was owner repaired. that may be why there is a new hood on it.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

Don't get any work done at the dealership, they are going to rape you on cost. Even if the radiator is damaged you can get a much better deal if you drive to a nearby shop. I don't know if there are any evo shops in your area but I would highly recommend avoiding the dealership at all costs, Also get a second opinion while you're at it. Don't tell the next mechanic what's wrong and see what they find.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

i don't think there is anyway the hood did that or here is a pic from my little incident (wife backed into my car and why i have a cf hood.)

after

no damage to the radiator and after cf hood install

good luck with what you do but i would say that car rearended someone and my guess is a truck or suv. best of luck

STevo
Old Jul 1, 2008, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

I have a Seibon CF hood for years and never had it break my A/C lol
Old Jul 1, 2008, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Hmm, well I checked my carfax and it hasn't been in an accident. Its just weird that it has that weird U bend to it..

Quick Reply: Seibon Hood Causing A/C Problems??