Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How To: Modding your Evo ~$100 at a time!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Added a bit more info to the first two posts!
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very good info thanks bro
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

First off, don't mess around with a high flow cat; just get a testpipe so you make more power and spend less money.
Depending on where you reside (CA), this could be a bad idea.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
great list
Old Nov 23, 2008, 12:26 AM
Evolved Member

bumping this, cause its a solid resource, i will admit...its a little biased, just for the record i took a greddy type-s BOV and recirculated it and i have neither flutter nor high boost issues, also you should add 1 step colder plugs, my car ran much smoother when i swapped them, other then that awesome thread
Old Nov 23, 2008, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

So where can I find the Innovative LC-1 for 180?
Old Nov 23, 2008, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoHung
So where can I find the Innovative LC-1 for 180?
$178.99, but if you call them they'll go even lower (according to the website).

http://www.maperformance.com/innovat...o2-sensor.html

This is the same one I run.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 07:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Very cool thread. This must have taken a lot of time.

Last edited by Adam@MMS; Feb 15, 2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by S2kracka
I believe that is on our list actually; both Scheides and I are running the Evo X 3-bar MAP sensor in conjunction with a GM BCS. Never hurts to have a visible boost gauge though (I have a Defi in my Evo, my fiancee will be getting a Prosport, and Scheides has a Autometer in his Evo and a Prosport in his wife's VW).
Cool, I just wanted to emphasize that getting precise readings when setting boost is really important. Would be bad for someone to set boost off of their $40 Autometer (not that Autometer is bad) but it could be off by a couple psi, which in turn would make a difference in the tune, etc...

Also, a millions times + on getting the Tactrix cable and logging software first and foremost. Gotta know whats going on with your car before throwing parts on it.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 01:31 AM
Evolving Member

Definitely a worthy product to get if you ask me. Both Scheides and I, along with pretty much all our local friends, are running them with great results. I powder coated mine black to be extra sleek
GREAT POST! I am like 3/8th mods into this long list of goodies but has anyone else other than the OP done this to their evos or dsms?? I just want to know essentially what this does other than the textbook description. Other than that im about to drop some cash on some! also how is the install? 10minutes 60 minutes. Thanks again
Old Nov 26, 2008, 01:37 AM
Evolving Member

Oops I tried to mulit quote but didnt work out. My post is in regards to the Crankcase Vaccum Kit. Thanks! http://www.maperformance.com/map-cra...acuum-kit.html
Old Nov 29, 2008, 09:36 PM

Thanks for taking the time to put the info together. Very helpful to me!
Old Nov 30, 2008, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by benniboi08
Oops I tried to mulit quote but didnt work out. My post is in regards to the Crankcase Vaccum Kit. Thanks! http://www.maperformance.com/map-cra...acuum-kit.html
There are quite a few people that have been giving these a try all with good results. Pretty much all local Evo's in Minnesota are using them. The install is very simple and really shouldn't take much longer than 10-15 minutes. I know MAP's been selling these on a pretty regular basis across the country (and even some internationally) so hopefully someone else will chime in.

Last edited by Kracka; Nov 30, 2008 at 07:58 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 08:22 AM

There are quite a few people that have been giving these a try all with good results. Pretty much all local Evo's in Minnesota are using them. The install is very simple and really shouldn't take much longer than 10-15 minutes. I know MAP's been selling these on a pretty regular basis across the country (and even some internationally) so hopefully someone else will chime in.
Can someone talk about the benefits of these? The OP just says there are a lot of benefits, but I'm interested in what they are specifically.

Edit: What are the advantages/disadvantages of ecu vs. MBC controlled boost? Anyone have experience with the Joe P MBC?

Last edited by prodystopian; Nov 30, 2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

The Joe P. is my personal favorite manual boost controller. Its cheap, effective, and reliable. ECU controlled boost is nice in the fact you can log your boost level (with a 3-bar MAP sensor) and it will allow you to run more boost at redline. I'm personally on ECU-controlled with a GM BCS and Evo X 3-bar MAP sensor which I switched to from a Joe P. If I were to build another Evo I would stick with the Joe P. though since its a lot cheaper and so much simpler. Less dinking around and it just plan and simple works.

As for the benefits of the vents, my friend who logs all of his gas mileage noticed an increase, we both noticed a smoother idle, throttle response definitely was improved, and in addition to these things my S2000 went from using 1.5 quarts of oil between changes to using absolutely none no matter how hard I drove it.

Quick Reply: How To: Modding your Evo ~$100 at a time!