Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo does not like the cold

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2009, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too have noticed the car doesn't like the cold until its warmed up. I find the shift into 2nd works best if its short shifted, and/or double clutched, until the tranny warms up. And this is in Seattle, where 30 deg is considered cold!
Old Jan 15, 2009, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JJsevol
+1 on that, I dont even take the car out over 85*
That's a little much...
Old Jan 15, 2009, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

today it was -33C in montreal, yeah reallly f'in cold.. I have never seen frost on the inside of my dam windows or on my shiftknob.. Its realy sluggish during the start and barely wants to run for a few seconds then the idle goes upto 2k and stays there for a minute or so before calms down. Im running Amsoil 5w-30 and they sell the whole Amsoil line at the local Canadian Tire (like a pepboys, autozone etc. but with more crap like power tools and stuff) which is great.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

My car is fine once it's warmed up, but when it's still cold, it's dreadful to drive. Trans doesn't want to shift, the car will bog when you shift into second, but once it's warm, the problems go away 100%

I hate driving cold cars in general.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
once the car is warmed up, the beast comes out!
Old Jan 15, 2009, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

yeah it's cold natured for sure....to me the evo runs the best at temps around 60-70 degrees F ....that's when it feels the best to me....still runs good in other temps just not quite as good...in cold temps just let it warm up really good before you start driving or take it easy and shift slowly til it warms up
Old Jan 15, 2009, 07:05 PM
bus

Two words auto start. I think it's crucial in the 20-30F range, can't imagine the -20 to -10F range. I've never even driven my car without warming the needle about a quarter way up. And your car will always run better in the cold because of the denser air. Definitely not tight when you turn it on though no car would.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

couple weeks ago i was doing 22psi where it should be with my mbc today it was like -7 i was doing 27psi i am like WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 15, 2009, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah a boost gauge is definitely something I need to install soon. I can't believe any turbo cars don't come with them. It's just plan retarded, imo. It's like my old 4 banger S10. They actually made manuals without a tach (wtf...). Luckily mine had one but people kept talking about getting used to the sound of the engine to shift.

I was more complaining that it actually does not want to move. When I go in reverse from a parking stale, I need to give it some gas and I have no need to use the brakes. I'm definitely going with synthetic for the drivetrain where I can. Just a *****. I hate working on car when it's cold. It's fine except working on something with cold hands sucks.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

Once my car is up to temp, it pulls and drives great. But everything else sounds like ****, suspension, ect... It'll all be fine once summer rolls around.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 07:36 PM
hlm
Evolving Member

mine with the 35r and the 280 cams and the aem and 2.3 storker it is a beatse to start in the morning..
Old Jan 15, 2009, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CNano8
today it was -33C in montreal, yeah reallly f'in cold.. I have never seen frost on the inside of my dam windows or on my shiftknob.. Its realy sluggish during the start and barely wants to run for a few seconds then the idle goes upto 2k and stays there for a minute or so before calms down. Im running Amsoil 5w-30 and they sell the whole Amsoil line at the local Canadian Tire (like a pepboys, autozone etc. but with more crap like power tools and stuff) which is great.

Now THAT is cold
Old Jan 15, 2009, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blast83
Anyone else notice this car really really hate the cold? This morning is was a toasty -15F outside.
Daaamnnn that's cold!!
Old Jan 16, 2009, 12:44 AM

Easy solution:

1. Buy Beater Car
2. Don't drive evo in winter to keep it nice
3. Enjoy nice preserved evo in the spring.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 01:16 AM

^^^ yeah, but then you wouldn't get to drive your evo 6 months out of the year!

Not really tranny or engine related, but has anyone had their car be "stuck" when they leave it for the night and its wicked cold?

I only ask because whenever I leave my car and it snows/slushes here in VT, I start it in the morning and get it warmed up and go to reverse it and the car makes a "creaking/cracking" noise then it finally "cracks" really loud (while I'm letting out the clutch just like you would) and can reverse - almost like my calipers are getting stuck to my rotors?

I left my car in an indoor parking garage at the airport over the last couple of weeks and when I came back it was so bad that I had to rev to like 4500 rpm and feather the clutch (yikes) to get out of my parking spot!

Anyone know what's up with that???

P.S. - I don't have any dyno info to back this up, but the butt-dyno loves cold weather. Also, I know something's going on because I have to have two maps for winter and for the rest of the year when its not f*ing freezing cold out

Quick Reply: Evo does not like the cold