Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo does not like the cold

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2009, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ did you leave your parking brake on?
Old Jan 16, 2009, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by adamweldonjohns

I only ask because whenever I leave my car and it snows/slushes here in VT, I start it in the morning and get it warmed up and go to reverse it and the car makes a "creaking/cracking" noise then it finally "cracks" really loud (while I'm letting out the clutch just like you would) and can reverse - almost like my calipers are getting stuck to my rotors?
I don't know but this happened to me the first time a couple weeks ago. Scared the living **** out of me. I started to reverse after letting the car warm up for a while, and it wouldn't go. So I look down to make sure I didn't pull an idiot move and leave the e-brake on, it was down. I went through the gears again, put it in reverse and gave it another shot.

Then it did exactly what you said, made a creaking, cracking, frozen sound and then SNAP. Like it just broke the frozeness out and I was rolling backwards like normal. Once again, scared the **** out of me at first.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^ yeah, but then you wouldn't get to drive your evo 6 months out of the year!
I dunno, i appreciate my car more now that i have a different DD. It just feels bad@$$ to jump in your evo after a couple weeks of bad weather and take her for a spin
Old Jan 16, 2009, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JJsEvo8
I dunno, i appreciate my car more now that i have a different DD. It just feels bad@$$ to jump in your evo after a couple weeks of bad weather and take her for a spin
It feels even better to drive her everyday
Old Jan 16, 2009, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

starting my car in -25 weather this morning sucked. i cant believe it still started, the shift knob had frost on it even.

Last edited by N3VO; Jan 16, 2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boostedwrx
^ did you leave your parking brake on?
+1 the parking brake can make your pads stick to the rotors in cold weather...
Old Jan 16, 2009, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

I only ask because whenever I leave my car and it snows/slushes here in VT, I start it in the morning and get it warmed up and go to reverse it and the car makes a "creaking/cracking" noise then it finally "cracks" really loud (while I'm letting out the clutch just like you would) and can reverse - almost like my calipers are getting stuck to my rotors?

yeah your brakes are freezing to the rotors....mine has done this when it rains...just not as bad...like rust or something buildup holds the brakepads to the rotors...makes a sound when they get unstuck...but mine was much less severe...just a slight sticking...seems like you guys are having your brakepads freezing to the rotors
Old Jan 16, 2009, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

We just hit the coldest recorded temperature ever here, -29 degrees.
Yesterday, at work when I went to lunch, the car made some weird howling noise before cranking over. Took forever to warm up.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

i remember watching a wrc video where they were racing in the snow...i think it was in norway...it was so cold that the ford rally cars wouldn't even startup...lol...but the mitsu cars had no problem
Old Jan 16, 2009, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tnnrx7

Then it did exactly what you said, made a creaking, cracking, frozen sound and then SNAP. Like it just broke the frozeness out and I was rolling backwards like normal. Once again, scared the **** out of me at first.
Mine has done this too. It was when it rained one night and then got really cold and It sat like that for about 24-48 hours. I noticed the rust spots on the rotors. It popped when put into reverse then was fine.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by number 8
We just hit the coldest recorded temperature ever here, -29 degrees.
Yesterday, at work when I went to lunch, the car made some weird howling noise before cranking over. Took forever to warm up.
yeah mine was making alot of weird noises this morning also i have to dry outside today at the carwash, its gonna be cold
Old Jan 17, 2009, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

My car loves the cold too, until it gets around the freezing mark or below. Then I cant go WOT without the damn thing sputtering and backfiring. And no, I dont adjust the boost controller in the winter.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know but this happened to me the first time a couple weeks ago. Scared the living **** out of me. I started to reverse after letting the car warm up for a while, and it wouldn't go. So I look down to make sure I didn't pull an idiot move and leave the e-brake on, it was down. I went through the gears again, put it in reverse and gave it another shot.

i think this is normal it happens to me all the time after i drive in the rain or snow. seems like the pads just get stuck with the rotor and once i try to move the car i have to give it a bit more gas than usual and then the pads finally break loose.

my car is an absolute biatch when its still cold. Takes me a couple miles to get everything warmed up then she runs good as new.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
My AEM loves the cold, takes about 2 min's to start up lucky, I dont have a small battery.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

yeah mines does it every morning.. Next season im probably going to get a civic beater.. Canadian winters are brutal

Quick Reply: Evo does not like the cold