Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

boost levels?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2009, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why has nobody even mentioned to him the possibility of a boost leak? Do a boost leak test. Unless the stock wastegate was modified, the car shouldn't boost less than stock unless there is a boost leak. You could also just have a crappy gauge, I missed if you said it or not but is it mechanical or electronic? My IX is still stock and I have a zeitronix wb with boost sensor installed. I usually peak 19.x sometimes 20.x and once or twice I have seen it show 21.x

Make a boost leak tester (for <$10) and check for leaks, fix any you find, recheck your boost. If it is still saying 14psi see if you can borrow another gauge from someone and test boost again to see if it's the gauge, then go from there
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by cs82685
why has nobody even mentioned to him the possibility of a boost leak? Do a boost leak test. Unless the stock wastegate was modified, the car shouldn't boost less than stock unless there is a boost leak. You could also just have a crappy gauge, I missed if you said it or not but is it mechanical or electronic? My IX is still stock and I have a zeitronix wb with boost sensor installed. I usually peak 19.x sometimes 20.x and once or twice I have seen it show 21.x

Make a boost leak tester (for <$10) and check for leaks, fix any you find, recheck your boost. If it is still saying 14psi see if you can borrow another gauge from someone and test boost again to see if it's the gauge, then go from there

That could be an issue too, I would check boost leak and boost controller.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AznEvoIX
So wait. Back up.

If I'm reading this correctly, you just bought an Evo.

However, it came with some aftermarket parts and your Boost Gauge is telling you that you're running 14 PSI instead of 19 PSI?

Saving gas doesn't matter until you hit boost.

If you stay out of boost, you'll use the same amount of gas, regardless of high boost or not on the controller. (Just don't go above the "0" on your boost gauge.)

So the previous owner was a uninformed Evo owner.

I highly suggest that you get your Evo retuned. Don't know what the previous owner had done to it.
Pretty much every evo on the road has been modified nowadays. Finding one that hasnt been will be almost impossible.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

could be running on wastegate pressure???

or the boost is turned down, turn it up and get it re-tuned.